Dee H.

This is Day 21 of my first Whole30. Thank goodness I found you. I have never felt better--full of energy, great workouts, nagging aches and pains I thought were a part of life are now gone, no cravings. Why should I stop? I can see now what dairy, grain, legumes and sugar were doing to me. I have family with lactose intolerance and gluten sensitivity. I think now that I do, too. So why should I give up the easiest eating plan I ever tried, the simplest grocery shopping trip I ever made, a life free of food cravings that plagued me for the majority of my life and a white-knuckle dieting regimen? Why can't this just be WholeForTheRestOfMyLife?

I think the rigidity of it would mean that social occasions, family get togethers, and the like would always create undue stress and anxiety and/or you'd be packing your food every.single.time you go out and that's just not realistic nor is it living (in my opinion). I think many people stay true to whole 30 principles MOST of the time but on those occasions when it's not feasible (like a wedding or birthday party) they allow non-compliant foods to make an appearance without stressing over it. That's just my take and that's why I'd never do a WholeForever! 

• Moderators

No one maintains real Whole30-strictness all the time. I stayed true my first 4 months because I felt so good, but eventually travel and events make it unreasonable to stay strict all the time. In real life, I eat Whole30-compliant at probably 19 out of 21 meals per week and don't go off road very far when I am not strict. For example, I sometimes eat in Indian restaurants where chicken is cooked in yogurt. I am still eating protein and veggies, but I consume some dairy in those situations. 

It sounds like you already know the answer to your own question. The Whole30 is meant to be a reset, and then you can (and I say can because it is a choice) slowly reintroduce foods that you ate before so that you can experiment and find what works/does not work with your body and yours alone. After my first Whole30, I was convinced I could/would do this every.single.day.of.my.life ... enter LIFE.. (I've also lost over 100lbs). I wanted cake at my sons' birthdays, and a cupcake from my favorite cupcake shop once in awhile, AND I wanted almond stevia in my coffee.. but I stay about 80% compliant with Whole30. If Whole30 is easy and EXACTLY what YOU want your diet to be, go for it and never stop. I like making my diet a little more functional to my life and what I want. Good luck  :)

Thanks all. To Running--I got to 315 lbs and all kinds of health probs by doing too much of what others want. I'm pretty sure of myself in those eating situations now, and yes, some people don't like it. I had to learn to live with it, but your point is well taken. To Grumpy, I like an effort for 19 out of 21. I guarantee all that more glasses of craft beer will be consumed by me. So Lace, maybe I do know the answer and I know I never felt better. I find it very easy to control my stress-related urges to eat when they are not joined by "food" manufacturers who try to hook us into addiction.

Archived