Homemade Dressings - Storage?

NatalieBA

Well, I always thought homemade dressings would be a lot of work, but I started making balsamic dressing during Whole 30 and it is such a snap and so good - and high quality ingredients!

I got a dressing bottle/shaker/pourer so that is cool, but I keep it in the fridge and it solidifies a bit when in there. So I began to wonder - does it need refrigeration?

I use vinegar, olive oil, spices and diced onion - none of these ingredients need refrigeration on their own, and i would think the vinegar preserves the onions?  This is the recipe, and it doesn't mention how to  store: http://twogirlsblog.com/2013/06/05/paleo-whole30-balsamic-vinaigrette/

Anyone can clarify with me whether this should be refrigerated?

OMG, I just had this happen to me with a clementine/balsamic viniagrette I made for work today.  I've had regular balsamic viniagrette refridgerate overnight fine.   But my orange one kind of congealed and I couldn't get it back to liquid. It was so weird, and a total waste and screwed up my lunch. lol  Next time, I'm bringing the ingredients in to mix at the moment.

It's just the oil that solidifies...I will remove my dressing from the fridge at breakfast when I know I am having a salad for lunch.  If I am at work, i will leave it on my desk and put the rest of the food in the fridge.  It will "melt" again in about an hour - I am a little freaked out about leaving it on the counter for days and days, but a few hours never hurt anyone!

when yours did that, was it thick, like a molasses?  It wasn't solid, but it looked...wrong. lol  Next time I would wait it out. I was just surprised b/c I've never had that happen with balsamic and oil, so I'm not sure if the clementine juice did something to it...

It's just the oil that solidifies...I will remove my dressing from the fridge at breakfast when I know I am having a salad for lunch.  If I am at work, i will leave it on my desk and put the rest of the food in the fridge.  It will "melt" again in about an hour - I am a little freaked out about leaving it on the counter for days and days, but a few hours never hurt anyone!

I leave my vinaigrettes on my counter for a week if I haven't used it all. I'm still alive. :) Oil and vinegar and spices all are stored at room temp anyway; mixing them up doesn't change that. If your dressing contains mayo, I'd refrigerate it, but if it's just oil + acid + flavorings, room temp is fine.

I store mine in either a dressing container like this or a Ball jar with the lid on.

when yours did that, was it thick, like a molasses?  It wasn't solid, but it looked...wrong. lol  Next time I would wait it out. I was just surprised b/c I've never had that happen with balsamic and oil, so I'm not sure if the clementine juice did something to it...

mine had what looked like slime on the top...and then it was kinda lumpy when I poured it.

Archived