Healthy Pescatarian - Which Plan Should I Follow and Customize?

Jen Brandon

Excited to start the Whole30 tomorrow! But I have a question about which plan/shipping list I should follow (and customize).

I am a Pescatarian who also eats animal products (eggs, butter, cheese, some fats from meat, and even chicken and beef bone broth). I simply don't eat the flesh of red meat or chicken. While I appreciate all good intentions, I already understand the pro's of being an omnivore, so I'm not interested in further encouragement to eat meat, but I'm not sure which plan I should follow and customize. And will it still BE effective if I combine plans?

My concern with going pescatarian and sticking with the Omnivore plan, is, will I get enough protein? And my concern with going with the Vegetarian Plan is, will I miss out on some of the great assets to this plan?

Would I be in the clear to go with the Omnivore Plan, but swap the meats with the dairy allowed in the Vegetarian Diet?

Thanks in advance for your advice! 

• Moderators

Here is the deal, the kefir and yogurt is a compromise between the known problems of milk proteins in the diet and the known problems of inadequate protein consumption. Since you will consume animal protein, the compromise of admitting fermented dairy is not appropriate for you because you can get adequate protein from fish and eggs. There really are many varieties of seafood and even eggs. You can enjoy good variety in your program by working at it a bit. 

Here is the deal, the kefir and yogurt is compromise between the known problems of milk proteins in the diet and the known problems of inadequate protein consumption. Since you will consume animal protein, the compromise of admitting fermented dairy is not appropriate for you because you can get adequate protein from fish and eggs. There really are many varieties of seafood and even eggs. You can enjoy good variety in your program by working at it a bit. 

That's very helpful. Thanks for your response! I feel good about which plan to start, and am ready to give this a good start!

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Jen,

Thanks for posing this question.  I am in the exact same situation as you and started the plan 3/1/15.  I have been following a Pescatarian diet for about 1.5 years now and don't miss meat at all.  Even around the holidays (Thanksgiving is one of my favorites), I don't feel like I'm missing out by not eating the traditional turkey or ham.  I do regret that my family worries about preparing something special/extra just for me, but they insist they don't mind.

I was originally going to follow the vegetarian plan because I too was worried about not getting enough protein.  I use My Fitness Pal to track my food intake (my goal is a 50% 30% 20% of carbs, fat, and protein respectively) and thus far I have been short on protein both days.  I'm also worried about recipe boredom with only having fish and eggs as primary protein sources.  I'm also a little concerned about my fat intake.  While eggs are high in protein (6g for 1 hard boiled), they are also high in fat (5g).  Between my breakfast (which included 1 hard boiled egg) and lunch (tuna fish with 2 tsp Whole30 homemade mayo on lettuce and tomato), my % fat content for the day was 35%.

I love vegetables, but am anticipating getting quickly bored with salads every day (sometimes twice at both lunch and dinner).  I am scouring the internet trying to find creative recipes that will be Whole30 compliant and still provide some variety.  If I find anything interesting, I will post it here.  I also welcome any suggestions you might have or discover along your Whole30 journey.

Good luck!

Julie

• Administrators

Jen,

Thanks for posing this question.  I am in the exact same situation as you and started the plan 3/1/15.  I have been following a Pescatarian diet for about 1.5 years now and don't miss meat at all.  Even around the holidays (Thanksgiving is one of my favorites), I don't feel like I'm missing out by not eating the traditional turkey or ham.  I do regret that my family worries about preparing something special/extra just for me, but they insist they don't mind.

I was originally going to follow the vegetarian plan because I too was worried about not getting enough protein.  I use My Fitness Pal to track my food intake (my goal is a 50% 30% 20% of carbs, fat, and protein respectively) and thus far I have been short on protein both days.  I'm also worried about recipe boredom with only having fish and eggs as primary protein sources.  I'm also a little concerned about my fat intake.  While eggs are high in protein (6g for 1 hard boiled), they are also high in fat (5g).  Between my breakfast (which included 1 hard boiled egg) and lunch (tuna fish with 2 tsp Whole30 homemade mayo on lettuce and tomato), my % fat content for the day was 35%.

I love vegetables, but am anticipating getting quickly bored with salads every day (sometimes twice at both lunch and dinner).  I am scouring the internet trying to find creative recipes that will be Whole30 compliant and still provide some variety.  If I find anything interesting, I will post it here.  I also welcome any suggestions you might have or discover along your Whole30 journey.

Good luck!

Julie

All of the macro counting and tracking you are doing goes against one of the rules of the Whole30.  As a dynamic, fluctuating human being, you do not generally need to be aware of or manipulating your macro percentages.  Before trackers people just ate food. Protein, fat and veggies.  Try using how you're feeling as your guide.  How are your workouts, your energy, your hunger? How's your mood and your mental acuity? Are you near your period? If so you may need more carbohydrates.  How are you sleeping?

All of these questions and the answers you determine will serve you a lot better than an app that tells you a number which maybe you are aiming to meet based on a recommendation that was made to suit as many people as possible, not taking into consideration you as a unique and beautiful human being.

Ditch the tracker and check in with yourself.

Hi Ladyshanny,

I certainly understand your perspective, however I have to respectfully disagree with you regarding tracking, especially since, as a pescetarian following the Whole30 plan, my options for protein sources are severly limited.  I don't want any benefits I may realize from following the Whole30 plan to be negated by possible health issues that could be introduced by deficient protein intake.  I am tracking my food intake solely for this purpose.  I may have mis-communicated my intentions by referencing % of carbs, fats, and proteins rather than actual grams consumed, which is really all I am reviewing.

Hi all,

I just wanted to chime in. I'm on Day 4, my first Whole30 and I am also a pescatarian. I was debating how to follow this myself since I usually eat much more of a vegetarian diet with limited fish, but for this 30 days I decided to go with the Omnivore plan but adding much more fish to my diet and more eggs - obviously without any additional meat because that is also not of interest to me {became vegetarian when I was 11 years old, started eating fish 3-4 years ago}. High cholesterol runs in my family so I try not to overdo the eggs, but I usually have them for breakfast so far. Prior to the Whole30, I ate some grains but have been gluten-free for years and am also allergic to soy of any kind.

Anyways- so far I am finding good things to eat. I am happy to share recipes and talk with fellow pescatarians on this journey who are big veggie eaters! Also I do consume some chicken broth {recent in my life, due to trying it when getting sick a lot last winter}. So, I'm up for the journey with you guys. I made a Pinterest board too for motivation/ideas. https://www.pinterest.com/allinightowl/whole-30-vegpescatarian-ideas/

My breakfast have been varieties of: eggs, smoked salmon, sweet potatoes w/ onions, green beans, broccoli, kale. Things like that.

My lunches have been baked fish, or pan-fried in homemade ghee, with lots of veggies and sometimes a salad. And my dinners are similar to lunches. I'm also making sure to add some fat, be it avocado or by cooking in olive oil or ghee, or a handful of almonds.  For snacks, I eat clementines or a banana -but keep my fruit intake small {curbs my sweet tooth}.

I used to follow MyFitnessPal in the past and I understand that it's nice to keep track of everything as an organized person! I've been writing everything down, along with what time I eat, and making sure I get lots of water. {ooh and I also made my own almond milk for my coffee as a little treat, and added a little bit of dates to it before straining}...

Be in touch!! :} We've got this.

Allison

Hi Ladyshanny,

I certainly understand your perspective, however I have to respectfully disagree with you regarding tracking, especially since, as a pescetarian following the Whole30 plan, my options for protein sources are severly limited.  I don't want any benefits I may realize from following the Whole30 plan to be negated by possible health issues that could be introduced by deficient protein intake.  I am tracking my food intake solely for this purpose.  I may have mis-communicated my intentions by referencing % of carbs, fats, and proteins rather than actual grams consumed, which is really all I am reviewing.

The best way to ensure you get the right balance of proteins, fats, and carbs is to follow the recommended meal template whether you are an omnivore, pescetarian, or vegetarian. Ultimately you are an adult and you can do what you like, but tracking the way you are you might miss some of the benefits of the program along the lines of learning to really listen to your body. I will also note that the macros you are trying to hit (50, 30, 20) will probably be incredibly difficult in a grain free diet. I was tracking when I first went Paleo (stopped when I did my first Whole30) and I was finding something closer to 25, 50, 25 (c, f, p). While Whole30 is not designed to be low carb it will certainly be lower carb than the standard American diet.

Archived