Having trouble identifying ingredients in a supplement..

SalsaEzz

This is it - http://www.bioceuticals.com.au/product/preview/Ultra-Muscleze

I bought it as an alternative to "Natural Calm" which you don't seem to be able to buy here in Australia.

It's a magnesium supplement with a 'natural orange flavour'. None of the ingredients, other than the active ingredients, are listed.

I've contacted the company who gave me some rubbish that they don't have to disclose the ingredients other than a 'natural orange' flavour.

I've gone back about soy and dairy claiming an allergy and hopefully I will get a response there.

However there must be at least sugar or stevia in the product, it is foul tasting but still sweet.

I've had it twice and not starting over.. but quite frustrated.. can I continue taking it?

I was incredibly blocked up all of week 2... like for 7 days.. it left me feeling pretty rotten and still not great.

I'm really frustrated and down.. (sipping fennel tea right now).. very annoying..

*sigh*

I'm not sure really what I'm asking here! Has anyone else had the same issue with supplement labeling?

Update: Stevia.

I'm not starting over.. I needed to take the supplement for my health and took it without knowing it had Stevia in it. Now that I know, I won't continue to take it.

Bloody Stevia. I'm hoping that things become more regular soon or I'm in trouble.

Unfortunately there are alot of products with Natural Flavoring. I try to avoid any package foods and vitamins on my whole30. Have you tried taking calcium / magnesium supplements instead of natural calm/ N.C. alternative? I have heard people who take epsom salt baths or use a magnesium cream instead of taking magnesium. Maybe that will help. Not sure how much water you are drinking but you need a lot of water to digest protein so you might want to try increasing water.

Thanks Tina

Drinking as much water as I can.. probably around 2 litres a day (approx 70oz).

I was doing the same, not eating anything packaged, but the supplement was recommended due to being so uncomfortable.

I wonder if a magnesium supplement would be as beneficial? 

I thought (not sure why) that the powder form would be more beneficial than a tablet.

I wonder if anyone knows? and if so, what form of magnesium should I be taking?

Digestive enzymes coming this week so hopefully that will also help. I definitely feel like things are very sluggish inside so hopefully this will help.

Fingers crossed for tiger blood next week! I'm on struggle street.

You can take magnesium in many different forms, and from what I've observed, certain forms work better for some people, others for other people...just do what seems best and change it up if it isn't working.

Personally, I do take natural calm, but I also take epsom salts baths and spray with a magnesium oil spray (not all three at once!). I do know of people who have had good luck with a tablet form of magnesium also, so I wouldn't discount that.

Turns out - it also has soybean in it.

I'm so mad.

Recommended supplements, went to three different stores, researched online to find one that is compliant. Told it is compliant. then later find out it is not.

I'm not starting over I've been 100% compliant except for 5mg x2 of this supplement.

I had it day 13 .. so I guess I'll just add an extra 13 days without soy/legumes on the end.

I wonder if that tiny bit of soy is the reason that I was excessively tired yesterday for no reason.

So mad/upset/annoyed.. *tear*

Ack - I'm so sorry.  It's so hard to work at figuring out what we can eat/take, and then to discover that it wasn't compliant even though we specifically asked.

I take magnesium tablets and sometimes I take digestive enzymes.  I have precisely the opposite digestive problem from you, and I discovered that tablets evened things out.  In reading the reviews for the product, I discovered that the tablets worked both for people who couldn't AND for people who, err, couldn't stop, if you know what I mean.  It convinced me to try the tablets.  I use a brand available in the U.S. called Dr.'s Best - no clue if it's available elsewhere.

I also agree with MissMary that it's worth trying various forms of magnesium to see which one works best for you.  Here's hoping you get some relief soon.

(As a side note, I would also add that medication trumps Whole30 - for instance, I take a thyroid medication that has both powdered sugar and corn starch in it.  However, I must take it or my body kind of goes kablooey.  If you get to the point where you're looking at something as medication rather than as a supplement, remember that you take what you need to take, and it's OK on Whole30.)

(As a side note, I would also add that medication trumps Whole30 - for instance, I take a thyroid medication that has both powdered sugar and corn starch in it.  However, I must take it or my body kind of goes kablooey.  If you get to the point where you're looking at something as medication rather than as a supplement, remember that you take what you need to take, and it's OK on Whole30.)

Actually, it's doctor's orders/prescriptions trump Whole30. 

We stopped recommending NOW digestive enzymes here when they added non-compliant ingredients to the mix. It would no longer be ok to have those, for example, on a Whole30.

Damn! I think I actually ordered those because I saw them on the forum.. They are also recommended on the whole 9 website..

I don't know what I'm going to do.. Now I've spent all this money on things to help me and I can't have them :(

It's day 16.. I'm struggling to get out of bed.

I'm adding sweet potato in today

I just did a quick search and now enzymes say this

"Not manufactured with wheat, gluten, soy, milk, egg, fish or shellfish. Produced in a GMP facility that processes other ingredients containing these allergens."

Chris - do you know what is in them that isn't allowed?

Thanks

Erin

Ack - I'm so sorry.  It's so hard to work at figuring out what we can eat/take, and then to discover that it wasn't compliant even though we specifically asked.

I take magnesium tablets and sometimes I take digestive enzymes.  I have precisely the opposite digestive problem from you, and I discovered that tablets evened things out.  In reading the reviews for the product, I discovered that the tablets worked both for people who couldn't AND for people who, err, couldn't stop, if you know what I mean.  It convinced me to try the tablets.  I use a brand available in the U.S. called Dr.'s Best - no clue if it's available elsewhere.

I also agree with MissMary that it's worth trying various forms of magnesium to see which one works best for you.  Here's hoping you get some relief soon.

^^This.  I take medication for thyroid function.  My doctor also has me taking supplement daily for my urinary system health.  I can get UTIs that have landed me in the hospital for 4 days, and d-mannose is a sugar that creates a hostile environment in my bladder and makes it difficult for bacteria to stay.  This leads to less infection and less antibiotic use.  I can say this, in my experience so far, I don't think any of the ingredients in my doctor prescribed meds have had any effect on food cravings, food behaviors or digestibility.  I would imagine those ingredients are in such negligible amounts that its not likely to cause a reaction.

"Not manufactured with wheat, gluten, soy, milk, egg, fish or shellfish. Produced in a GMP facility that processes other ingredients containing these allergens."

I'm not Chris :-) but I believe there is a sweetener in it - I can't remember if it's sugar or stevia or what. 

Damn! I think I actually ordered those because I saw them on the forum.. They are also recommended on the whole 9 website..

I don't know what I'm going to do.. Now I've spent all this money on things to help me and I can't have them :(

It's day 16.. I'm struggling to get out of bed.

I'm adding sweet potato in today

I just did a quick search and now enzymes say this

Thanks

Erin

I'm not Chris :-) but I believe there is a sweetener in it - I can't remember if it's sugar or stevia or what. 

I believe they now contain sulfites.

Archived