Adding carb to pre-wo meal

clm

I'm on day 7 of my first Whole 30.  I have been going to a high intensity boot camp style class & lifting weights for several months.  According to the timeline, it's normal for workouts to be tough at this point. I told my trainer today, and she suggested that I eat a Larabar or carb before exercise. I know this isn't Whole30 recommended, but my workouts have been suffering since Day 1 and my muscles are more easily fatigued. It makes sense to me that my body needs some carbs to fuel an intense workout. I've been eating sweet potato afterwards, and I immediately feel soooo much better.  I'm also worried that I will lose some of the muscle I've worked so hard for if I'm not able to give it 100%.  Should I add some carbs pre-workout or stick to the protein only and my body will get used to it?

I'm on day 7 of my first Whole 30.  I have been going to a high intensity boot camp style class & lifting weights for several months.  According to the timeline, it's normal for workouts to be tough at this point. I told my trainer today, and she suggested that I eat a Larabar or carb before exercise. I know this isn't Whole30 recommended, but my workouts have been suffering since Day 1 and my muscles are more easily fatigued. It makes sense to me that my body needs some carbs to fuel an intense workout. I've been eating sweet potato afterwards, and I immediately feel soooo much better.  I'm also worried that I will lose some of the muscle I've worked so hard for if I'm not able to give it 100%.  Should I add some carbs pre-workout or stick to the protein only and my body will get used to it?

I am not a moderator or an athlete but according to the book the pre workout meal should be protein and fat and the post workout meal should be protein and carbs. Are you eating fat with your pre workout meal? Are you eating protein with your post workout meal? If the answer is yes then you may have to wait for an expert to answer your question. Good Luck!

• Moderators

Listen to the authors of a New York Times best selling book on healthy eating who are nationally recognized athletic coaches and nutrition experts OR your local trainer. 

If you want to maximize your performance potential, then eat a small pre-workout snack of fat and protein and a post-workout meal of lean protein and a starchy carb just as the Whole9 meal template recommends: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

You might need to add some starchy vegetables to at least one of your three main meals per day if you are not already including sweet potato, butternut squash, etc. 

Thousands of athletes follow the recommendations of the Hartwigs with great success. Don't bail on their advice at day 7. 

It took me about 10 days to adjust to my workouts on Whole30. GIve it a little more time for your body to adjust. By the end of the 30 days my workouts were better than before I started.

Thanks. I will stick with it. I have been following the pre & post workout templates, and I expected to not feel great, but not like my body was made of lead. Nice to hear I may only have a few more days before it gets better! 

Keep at it and keep us posted as to how you are feeling/doing!

I am doing CrossFit as well.  The first week was tough as I was used to eating breakfast an hour before I went.  I am following the plan and am feeling great (I'm on day 10).  Of course I have not weighed or measured myself, but others are telling me I look leaner...I'll take it!

Archived