Is there a compliant store bought broth?

**Ann**

I just don't have the ingredients on hand, and I'm a little afraid at this juncture, to try my hand at making my own broth.  I'm just not there yet.

I have seen recipes taht call for some broth, and i don't have any compliant ones in my pantry. Is tehre a brand that is (beef or chicken is fine)?

I just don't have the ingredients on hand, and I'm a little afraid at this juncture, to try my hand at making my own broth.  I'm just not there yet.

I have seen recipes taht call for some broth, and i don't have any compliant ones in my pantry. Is tehre a brand that is (beef or chicken is fine)?

YES for chicken broth. I have not had any luck with beef or vegetable. In Southern California, Imagine free range chicken broth is compliant. I would definitely check the ingredients. Their beef broth is not. 

• 2 weeks later...

In UK Sainsburys both their beef and chicken stock is compliant - just bones, onions and salt. It's nicely wobbly too and I keep one of each in the fridge for my one pot suppers - fabulous flavour. 

If you can please give it a try as it is simple and once you do it once it's like being an old pro and you'll find yourself doing it every time you get low in your freezer.

Bone broth is probably one of the easiest things you can make for this lifestyle (W30 or paleo or primal).  Just throw some bones (I use about 6lbs in a 10 liter pot) a couple stalks of celery (use the leafy bits!) a couple of onions (cut in four) a couple bay leaves, a few peppercorns and voila!  Bring it to a boil and then reduce and simmer for 12-24 hours (I usually start on a Saturday morning and leave until Sunday morning.  You can add more water if you need to but I find that this results in about 6 liters of broth and I freeze it in 2cup bags.

So easy, so healthy and you will always have it on hand!

Best of luck!

I really love Imagine Organic Free Range chicken broth...it's not thin and watery like other broths, and I drink it hot sometimes when I really want another cup of coffee...it's a great base for soups/meals. Slightly more expensive, but totally worth it IMO. They also have good Beef and Veggie broths as well

At Trader Joe's I found an organic hearty Vegie broth that is W30 compliant.   But read the label before purchase. I was surprised to find that some of the organic chicken broths had sugar in the ingredient list.  Still wondering why anyone would add sugar to chicken broth?. 

• 2 months later...

I was just discussing this the other night!!  The TJ's veggie broth is the one I used too, because my "old" chicken broth had dextrose in it, and honestly,  I have a freezer full of homemade stock, I was just too lazy to thaw it. 

I only trust broth I make myself, which is very easy to do. Especially with a slow cooker. I also like to be in charge of the flavor because I love rosemary and garlic.

I freeze it in glass jars, two cups per jar, but they have the be the kind of jars without "shoulders" (straight up and down, no curves after the neck). I collect bones in freezer bags. Lamb, beef, and chicken. One bag for each. And make on a weekend once I have at least 3-lbs bones, provided I have enough jars. I would make more often if I had more jars but the kitchen I have has very little storage space.

I know many people save it in ices cube trays, but to me it seems like a needless chore to measure out cups of ice cubes, when they sell so many jars with measurements on them.

I know many people save it in ices cube trays, but to me it seems like a needless chore to measure out cups of ice cubes, when they sell so many jars with measurements on them.

The only broth I freeze in ice cube trays is my beef broth.  I'll take a couple of "cubes" out to heat up in a mug and sip.  Also, I may throw a couple "cubes" in to my Well Fed chili while reheating. 

Realize you're looking for a quick fix but when you next have a chicken carcass throw it in the slow cooker with bay leaves, onions and garlic before bed. Strain after 10, 12 or 24 hours. It can not be easier! And after that you too will be totally grossed out by all processed broth.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Spent some time at Sprouts today, found a few compliant broths without sweeteners (still surprised how many contain cane sugar (cane sugar is healthier than sugar, don'cha know??), maltodextrin, and honey!):

Imagine, Natural Creations: Free-Range chicken Broth, regular & low sodium

Halal Cuisine, Saffron Road: Traditional chicken broth, low sodium, and Artisan Roasted chicken broth, regular

Pacific: Organic vegetable broth, regular & low sodium

broth01_zps223c3204.jpg

broth02_zpsea350178.jpg

broth03_zps3afe4d7b.jpg

Archived