Orthodontic friendly meals?

chessjeck

Hi everybody, I am starting a Whole30 tomorrow.  It isn't my first Whole30, but it is my first one since I started orthodontic treatment.  I have an arch appliance spanning from one side of my mouth to the other.  There are springs on the appliance that screw into the roof of my mouth. It makes it very difficult to swallow because my tongue is impeded and can't use it to push food towards my throat. On top of that, I got braces last week, so hard foods are a no-no. Also, I literally can't chew!  I have this blue cement stuff on two of my teeth to keep my bite open.  I can't grind with my molars, which means many healthy foods are off the table.  I can't bite into anything because my teeth are so sensitive.

Needless to say, I need help coming up with some meals...  I'm fine with eggs for breakfast.  I used to eat salads for lunch, but that doesn't sound very enjoyable nowadays.

I know smoothies aren't technically Whole30, but does anybody have a good low or no sugar recipe?  I feel like I need at least some raw veggies...

How long will you wear this appliance that doesn't allow you to chew? Can you postpone your whole30 until you can eat? You could do a whole30ish protocol with protein shakes and bone broth but I would wait until I could eat. I don't know what your dental issues are. Mine took about 2 years to fix. I was able to remove some of my appliances to eat and some I could eat with them on. I didn't do a whole30 until after I was done. Good Luck.

@ Tina Rousseau Thanks for your reply! I will have to wear the appliance until April 30th.  It's not the appliance that makes it difficult to chew, it's the cement applied to my teeth to keep my bite open.  The appliance makes it difficult to swallow fibrous foods that aren't chewed well.  Food just gets all tangled up in the springs.  Those things, combined with the addition of braces, are making me quite miserable.

In any case, I need to get my health in order now, rather than later.  There's always a reason to put off doing a Whole30.  My life has been one major event after another, and I don't anticipate it slowing down anytime soon. I just keep packing on pounds, mostly in my stomach, leaving me worried about some serious hormonal imbalances and insulin resistance. I just don't want to wait until May.

@ praxisproject  Thanks for your suggestion!  I'm pretty good at making soup. However, and can't find any Whole30 legal broth at the store. Maybe it's time to pull the stew hen out of freezer and make some.

i'm dealing with the same thing and have found that after a few weeks i can eat mostly normally once more(with the occasional gag when something gets hung up) but until then thick pureed soups were my friend!  that and any ground meat was good, well cooked veggies that just kinda mushed were good too and some of the squashes/potatoes actually clear a lot of the hung up food from my appliance, so i eat those last!

I also really like cold curry soup for breakfast, but I may be weird :)

Recipe?

some of the squashes/potatoes actually clear a lot of the hung up food from my appliance, so i eat those last!

Some great tips! Thanks.  I was eating my mashed sweet potatoes and butternut first, because they were easiest.  I'll try saving them for last. :)

Archived