Whole30 Approved Sushi!

JohannaE

I made this Whole30 approved paleo sushi last week, and it was a big hit!  It looks and tastes a lot like the real thing, so if you're having a sushi craving this just might be the thing!  Be sure to dip in coconut aminos. 

IMG_5218-1024x682.jpg

I continue to share recipes on my blog, if you're interested!

Ingredients:

Rice
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 medium head of cauliflower
2 tablespoons rice vinegar (make sure it does not contain sugar)
Pinch of salt

Rolls
5 sheets of nori
6-8 oz smoked salmon
1 ripe avocado
1 medium carrot
1/2 medium cucumber
Coconut aminos, for dipping

Instructions:

1. For the “riceâ€, cut your cauliflower into florets and add to the bowl of a food process. Pulse about 10 times or until the cauliflower pieces are small and fluffy.  You may have to do this in a couple of batches, and you want to be careful not to over process!
  2. Heat coconut oil in a large skills or wok. Pour cauliflower in, stirring regularly until it is  is barely starting to turn golden. Remove and set aside to cool.
  3. Once your “rice†is cool, add 2 tablespoons rice vinegar and a pinch of salt.  The vinegar will give the cauli rice some traditional sushi rice flavor while helping it clump up to make more solid rolls.
  4. To make a roll, place one nori sheet on top of a sushi rolling mat. Using a rice paddle or spatula, put about 1/2 to 3/4 cups of riced cauliflower on the nori and spread it into a rectangle, leaving just a bit of space on the right and left edge, and about 1/4 of a sheet on the top.  
  5. Place fillings on top of the cauliflower in a line closest to you.
  6. When you've finished adding your fillings, use the end of your sushi mat to roll up the sheet with everything inside. When you've almost reached the end of the nori, use your finger to lightly brush the end of the nori with water or vinegar. This will help seal the roll. Finish rolling and press to ensure the roll is tight.
  7. Move the roll to a cutting board and cut into pieces using a very sharp knife.
  8. Serve plain or with coconut aminos in place of soy sauce!

Makes 24-30 pieces

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived