Day 24 and struggling with sugar cravings

kurtz100

Hi all,

I'm on day 24 of my first Whole30 and am following the AIP for IBS, acne and anxiety. I've done really well so far but this past week has been really tough. I had my monthly cycle and all of my cravings came back...big time. I'm afraid I've allowed too many fruits into my diet. Can fruit sabatoge the battle with cravings? I've also noticed I'm very short-tempered and even angry at times in the evenings because I can't have sugar or bread. Last night I ate 5 dates because I was so desperate for something. I will say that this is the first period I've had since high school without the awful cramps!

I'm on my second whole30 (took a week off after the first one and then started the second).  I still have cravings occassionally.  And they are stronger right before I start.  And yes, I get cranky too.  However, my cravings are decreasing as time goes by.  Maybe one day they will be totally gone?  I doubt it!  I ate sugar for 45 years.  Hard to undo that!

I'm insatiable about 4-5 days before my period starts. I've learned to accept it (to a degree) because I've been through enough cycles now while eating a paleo diet to know that I will get back on track - and eating 5 dates is not the end of the world! ;) The less I get angry with myself for not eating a perfect diet and have learned to recognize the cravings for what they are - the more quickly I can get back on track. Otherwise I risk the "WTH" effect (aka, "what the hell since I already ate 5 dates I might as well finish them off with a jar of nut butter followed by this bag of fried plantain chips"). IT WILL PASS (though I'm sure it feels extremely intense for you during this first Whole30).

All that said, yay for you for not having bad cramps since the first time since high school!!! That's huge and doesn't always happen for a lot of women until they've been eating this way for quite some time.

I have skin issues, but I'm not sure I would have been able to handle an AIP protocol for my first Whole30. Had I done an AIP protocol from the get-go, I may have felt too restricted. Now that I've done a few successful Whole30s, I'm toying with the idea of trying an AIP Whole30 to see if it may better address some lingering skin issues.

You could try taking a magnesium supplement, such as Natural Calm. I have recommended this to a large number of female clients, and it has worked wonders.

Here are some studies showing beneficial effects:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2067759

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10746516

I would also recommend taking alpha lipoic acid, which should help you regulate blood sugar, and cravings. Here are some studies backing this up:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21666939

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11375349

Also, I would try to limit fruit, if you think it is causing you problems. Sweet potatoes will keep you satiated, without delivering the very sweet taste of fruit. Hopefully this helps. Let me know if you have further questions.  :)

Day 24 ?  It could also be PMS combined with an extinction burst - this is your brains last stitch effort to convince you that you need sugar.  This is the most intense of all cravings that I had on my whole 30's.  During my first one it didn't help either that everytime I opened the fridge I came face to face with a cake (It had been my brother's birthday).  I technically didn't want the cake, and was even told by members of my family that the cake wasn't *that* good.  But oh how my brian wanted it!!!!! It carried on for 3 days at least.  So yeah they do exist.  Just try to stay patient and stay the course.  Remember that these things will still be available after your whole30

Archived