Meals for energy - I am lacking it... Day 16?

jmill3

Ok... I am on day 16 of my first ever whole30.  According to the timeline I should be feeling the "tiger blood" phase...   Instead I feel like I could drop and take a nap at ANY TIME!   I am getting great sleep and eating what I think is plenty of proteins and fats...    I am also excising in the mornings.   

Here is a typical daily meal plan that I have followed for the past few days... and still dragging...

Pre-workout: 6AM

1 1/2 cup pulled pork

1/2 avocado

Post-Workout/Meal 1: 8AM

Two Scrambled Eggs w/mushrooms

2 cups sweet potato hash browns w/onion

1/2 cup blueberries

1/2 avocado

Meal 2 (lunch): Noon

1 1/2 cup broccoli

1 cup pulled pork

2 cup shredded and browned parsnips w/onion

Meal 3 (dinner) 6:30pm

1 cup steamed broccoli

1 Chicken Breast

Handful of pistachios

Wow... when I write it down it doesn't seem like much...   I am wondering if this diet is lacking a bit of something or if its lacking a bit of everything.  Any help would be appreciated!  THANKS!

-John

I'm guessing you need to eat more.

That looks to be about what I might eat in a day. I don't work out, I'm a fairly small woman, and I sit down at least half the day at work. So if you're a guy and you're working out regularly, I'm guessing you need to really up your intake, especially protein and fat. Your fat content looks good at breakfast but light at lunch and dinner.

Are you logging your daily food here on the forum or elsewhere? You might try for the next week or so, work on upping your intake, and see if your energy improves.

You definitely need more protein at breakfast and more vegetables at dinner, at minimum. A serving of eggs is usually however many you can hold in your hand - I have tiny hands and I eat three or four, depending on the rest of my meal.

I didn't get anything close to tiger blood till the end of my Whole30. Everyone is different, and I was recovering from a sleep deficit (had regularly been getting 6-6.5 hours of sleep pre-Whole30). It's awesome that you're sleeping so well - I say that just in case great sleep is a new thing for you!

• Moderators

You seem to be eating starchy carbs regularly, which is good. You are eating a substantial pre-workout meal, which gets you to 4 meals in a day, but the meal template advises 5 meals on workout days. You are combining post-workout eating and breakfast. You literally could add another meal to the day and be right on track. That might help if food is the reason you feel tired. 

I never felt a great surge of energy that I would have called tiger blood. What I noticed after a few months was that I had a clear head and did not feel a need to take a nap after eating the way I did before I went Whole30-style. Not everyone gets a big boost. 

How long before your workout and your pre-workout meal? Could you swap that for meal 1 and then just do a post WO meal? There are varying opinions on this, but you are working out pretty fasted and you may need carbs more than someone who works out later in the day.

I have a similar schedule - Meal 1 - 5 AM, workout 6 AM, post WO 7:00/7:30 AM. My Meal 1 is usually a sweet potato, clarified butter and eggs. It took me about 10 days to adjust and this schedule keeps me satisfied until 1:00 PM on most days and my energy is very good throughout the day.

I tried to have more green veggies today at lunch and ramped up the intake a bit to see how that would help my day and it actually had a pretty desirable effect.  It took about 30 or so minutes after I ate and I started to perk up a bit and felt much better... still a little slow and I think as some have mentioned I need to really crank up my pre-workout meal.  Thanks SO much for the feedback...  

It has been really interesting noticing how the diet is effecting things...  its almost immediate when you don't do something quite right, be it too little, too off balance or when things are in right proportion.  Getting rid of all of the nutrient confusion we go through has sharpened the visibility into what food actually does for us...   Just gotta keep motivated for the next 14 days!!!

Archived