Spice List for AIP

lujo238

This one is quite comprehensive and has safe as well as avoid ones and explains the differences:

http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/07/spices-on-autoimmune-protocol.html

Mixed spices or "spices" on labels are the trickiest, as you often really don't know. Paprika is often in these, but there's lot of good recipes for making your own spice mixes.

I just came from my Dr;s office today and was put on an autoimmune protocol. of course I have been eating lots of peppers, etc. And of course my favorite spice is paprika. Dang it. I appreciate the link as well. That will help a lot.

I haven't tried the full AIP yet, but I went nightshade free for 30 days and when I added them back in, dropped my overall "load" down much lower.

I didn't realise how many meals I had which were nightshade-overload (capsicum, chilli peppers, paprika, tomato AND eggplant, etc).

I find when I don't pile so many all together, they don't affect me as much. I like spicy, so finding a balance was interesting :)

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any suggestions for AIP compliant "spicy" flavors to replace peppers? I know garlic and ginger are ok, is there anything else?

Horseradish.  Also I think if you use garlic that has started to sprout and don't cook it it will be "hotter".  

Depending on the AIP version you're following, black pepper and white pepper (a type of black pepper) are sometimes allowed.

I find lots of the alium (onion) family is "hotter" fresh.

I did find that after going without nightshades, my palate did adjust and I didn't want as much hot stuff :D

Archived