Starting on March 1st. 2014

EmmySkimmy

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 3 for me and going ok. I am very tired and achy from my long walk on Saturday and my muscles hurt. Lifting the hairdryer this morning was painful! Hungry today so I have had a snack of nuts. Not a compliant meal but I don't overeat them so I am happy. 

I have a hot water bottle behind my back and I am starting to feel less sore and uncomfortable. I think I need to go easy with the exercise for a while - I have a lot to lose and have really let my fitness levels drop since last summer. 

Onwards!

Yay us - we're doing swimmingly!

Still on track - started a (very long-winded - heh) journal/log in the Community section to help keep me accountable.  So far, so good!

Looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow!  :wub:

And, @Emmy - isn't the joint pain relief fabulous?  If for no other reason, gluten, at least, will never EVER pass my lips again.  Next year's holidays are going to be interesting - I have at least 3 feasty-wheaty dinners at other folks' homes, but not stressing about that NOW, forgoodnesssakes.  :lol:

ETA:  Yay, I'm not a newbie anymore - officially a "member" - thanks, guys!  heh.

@RaceMom Whenever I've got a headache that's not bad enough for me to take something but still bad enough to be annoying, I find rubbing some lavender essential oil on my temples helps soothe it. 

@EmmySkimmy I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who can spend six hours in an IKEA - my husband hates taking me there because of it! Also, well done on resisting the pancakes. I'd secretly be crying on the inside if I had to make pancakes I couldn't eat. Keep up the good work!

It's funny that a couple of you mention that your joint pain has decreased, because I was commenting to my friend last night that my endometriosis-related pain hasn't nearly been as bad since I started - i.e. gone from spending half the day hugging a hot water bottle in foetal position to a somewhat functional level! And it's not like I was eating all that bad before, but cutting out the little dairy and/or grains (mostly just rice) I was eating must be helping, which is a big motivator for me to keep going. ^_^

Hello everyone!  I am also with you all that started on March 1!  This is my second attempt at a Whole 30.  My first one was quite some time ago (about a year and a half) and even though I didn't make it the whole 30 days, it definitely changed me and my relationship with food.  I lost about 40 lbs afterwards, and had what I would consider a much more healthy relationship with food.  

Of course, a year and a half later, I am deciding to recommit to myself.  I am smaller, but I have fallen back into poor eating habits.  I also love to drink, and started drinking beer again after a 6 month absence.  I also smoke(d), and am taking care of it all at once.  I know it's not recommended to do it all at once (per the book), but I am tired of simply talking about changing my life.  It's time to do it!

I was having a rough day (terrible cravings - period related!!!!), and then I got my copy of Well Fed 2 delivered.  I was so happy, I almost cried.  It's so great to read and just look through such a fun book written by such a fun person - a very good and helpful reminder that THIS IS NOT CRAZY - THIS IS SIMPLE, CLEAN EATING.  Make it fun, and the best you can!

Hi All! Mind if I jump in here? I actually started on Feb.17, but had to do a restart on March 1 due to accidentally eating feta cheese on a salad while out. I was so disappointed because I had been doing so great, but I'm not letting this set back derail me. After eating the feta, I had a horrid sinus headache for 2 days, but it was better today. Now that I know that dairy is going to be a big NO-NO after my whole 30, I have to start looking for replacements. Do any of you use any that you like? 

Hi All! Mind if I jump in here? I actually started on Feb.17, but had to do a restart on March 1 due to accidentally eating feta cheese on a salad while out. I was so disappointed because I had been doing so great, but I'm not letting this set back derail me. After eating the feta, I had a horrid sinus headache for 2 days, but it was better today. Now that I know that dairy is going to be a big NO-NO after my whole 30, I have to start looking for replacements. Do any of you use any that you like? 

In my morning coffee, I use coconut oil and clarified butter: otherwise I drink it black. In cooking, I've substituted coconut milk in place of milk or cream in some recipes.

I'm excited to hear that lots of us all started on March 1 - it'll be a great journey together.  Thanks, @MissTariPie for the tip on the lavendar oil - I'll have to get some next time I'm in whole foods.

I am in the middle of Day 4.  So far, so good :).

Day 3...engery was great until about 13:30....then I started to get really tired. I hit the store on the way home. I forgot my fruit snack and the eggs I thought I had hard boiled where not all that hard boiled :huh:, so I was a little peckish entering the store. Normally a scary scenerio, but I picked up some fruit and a little bag of nonsalted cashew nuts. They were heavenly :wub: and I didn't eat the entire bag, I actually stopped after about 30grams from a bag of 140grams .  Had a lovely dinner with my family, then it was like a slap in the face, wack..I have to sleep, RIGHT NOW. So I was just going to take a 20 min power nap....that 20 mins was 2hrs. ;). By then the baby was already in bed and the 8 yr old was about to go to bed...So I went to work on painting the laundry room and one of the guest rooms...we moved into a new home in the middle of Jan and it has some work that needs to be done. My elbow/forearm were killing me, but I powered through...by 11 I was ready to hit the hay again.

Today my arm is very sore/painful and I am pretty tired...but this was to be expected if you read the time line on the website....Looks like there will be another nap when I get home to be able to survive the rest of the evening...

Welcome to all the people that just joined! Love reading all your posts.

Hey Emmy - it's good to share a thread with someone in a similar time zone. Last time I was up and halfway through my day before America woke up! 

I feel better today than I did yesterday. The aches are easing and I am not so cold. 

Your comment on 'wind' was interesting as I have the exact opposite reaction to clean eating. As soon as I give up grains the air around me is fit to breathe again :ph34r: Happens within 24 hours and hubby always comments  :o

This morning I am making a pot of vegetable stock from my saved veg peelings, a pan of ghee which is draining into its jar right now and there is a slow cooker full of stewing lamb and leeks with a homemade tomato sauce - that will be for supper tonight and some to freeze. I am feeling in the zone and so much better than I did this time last week. 

Onwards buddies, onwards!

Well America is waking up now and I have to say this one really wanted toast for breakfast!  Which is actually quite funny because I opted to just have a cup of tea first and read my email, and sure enough The Whole30 Daily email for Day 4 was focused on cravings.  (That's two days in a row that email was on point, yesterday not feeling well - amazing how they've got this thing figured out :) )

I'm glad to hear everyone else is doing well!  Being slightly competitive, I'm up for the challenge and hearing about your successes is really helpful.  No toast for me!

Afternoon!

Well, it's day 4! Woo hoo! Days 1 and 2 were a breeze, lots of eggs, avocadoes, and crockpot meals were had - no desire to cheat! Day 3 I started to crave something SWEET (which is not normal for me - I'm more of a salty gal), so the husband made us a shake with homemade almond milk, frozen strawberries, a banana, and some coconut butter which seemed to hit the spot. Unfortunately, later that day I got a raging headache! It lasted on until bedtime, and around 10pm I had to dash out of bed to vomit! -_- I don't know what caused this... but waking up on day 4, I still have the headache. After taking some powdered magnesium, the edge was gone, but it's still hanging in there. I should probably stop staring at the monitor now  :P 

I'm so happy to read all of your stories!

What a great bunch!  Day 4 is ok here - still waking up before the alarm - unheard of for me!  But I really wanted to sleep more, and was kind of cranky.  Need to take another look at that timeline... :)

Have a great day, night, whatever, everyone!

Oh, one more thing - my left ankle has cracked and popped for as long as I can remember... day in, day out. Since I've been eating so much coconut butter/oil, it hasn't been cracking! It's amazing!! :D

Afternoon!

Well, it's day 4! Woo hoo! Days 1 and 2 were a breeze, lots of eggs, avocadoes, and crockpot meals were had - no desire to cheat! Day 3 I started to crave something SWEET (which is not normal for me - I'm more of a salty gal), so the husband made us a shake with homemade almond milk, frozen strawberries, a banana, and some coconut butter which seemed to hit the spot. Unfortunately, later that day I got a raging headache! It lasted on until bedtime, and around 10pm I had to dash out of bed to vomit! -_- I don't know what caused this... but waking up on day 4, I still have the headache. After taking some powdered magnesium, the edge was gone, but it's still hanging in there. I should probably stop staring at the monitor now  :P 

I'm so happy to read all of your stories!

Hope your head is better!  I "liked" your post, then realized liking might imply that I like that your were in pain all day. 

Do you get migraines?  I went for years thinking that everyone who got headaches threw up (I was 12 when I started getting them) until a friend in college clued me in that they were migraines.  Excedrin (well, CVS house brand "extra strength pain reliever") works for me these days.

I hope you feel better soon!

Hope your head is better!  I "liked" your post, then realized liking might imply that I like that your were in pain all day. 

Do you get migraines?  I went for years thinking that everyone who got headaches threw up (I was 12 when I started getting them) until a friend in college clued me in that they were migraines.  Excedrin (well, CVS house brand "extra strength pain reliever") works for me these days.

I hope you feel better soon!

No worries! :)

I use to get migraines a LOT, but I figured out that my birth control was causing them (started at age 17, figured this out at age 23) - since then, I get them rarely... so maybe that is what it was! Excedrin does usually take the edge away, but we were out, so I grabbed the aspirin in liou of running out to the store :) I also dabbed on some peppermint essential oil, and the cooling effect was quite nice! The pain is all gone now and I'm enjoying day 4 much better now... thank you for the well wishes!

I liked your post too, @lipw1g , but not the headache part, just the shake part.  And the fact you're feeling better.  I had just a one-day headache yesterday and feel fine today.  Hopefully yours will be short lived as well.

I had heard that joint pain is decreased with this diet, but I didn't realize it was due to all the lubrication in the form of coconut, olive and avocado oil.  Makes sense though!  I'm looking forward to hearing less from my right knee when I walk.

I also started on Mar 1 and just found this group today. My husband and I have been eating a paleo type diet since November 2013. We're both losing weight and feeling better generally, but I have more weight to lose than him and I have insulin resistance issues so I have decided I need the extra push of the Whole30.

The issue that I struggle with the most is giving up stevia in my coffee :(

So, I don't know how everyone's first few days with, but I felt like I had a hangover for the first three days. I had a headache, and my tummy didn't feel too awesome. I woke up today (the 4th) feeling like a million bucks. And I finally got coconut milk, and good oils, so I don't have to eat avocado for every meal to make sure I get my fat. 

Tonight I made a shrimp coconut curry with red pepper, spinach, carrots, mushrooms over a bed of riced cauliflower, and it is just TO DIE FOR. And it turns out that cauliflower is my new favorite food. YUM!

Day 5 is the start of Lent so this Whole30 will go to at least Easter Sunday.

Day 3 I felt awful which was a combo of too much exercise on Day 1 and detox aches and pains and shivers.

Day 4 I felt better but still tired. My first W30 sorted out my sleep patterns for the first time on 30 years but right now they are back where they used to be and that makes me sad and cross. Hopefully they will sort themselves out again soon. I've got used to 8 or 9 hours of good sleep and don't like feeling hungover. 

Today I am sitting here at 1/4 past 9 drinking decaff coffee knowing I need to eat breakfast soon to be within the hour of rising but I don't feel hungry. :( This happened on my first W30 last September and it was the one thing I really struggled with. I have plated up some spinach, prawns and mayo but it's not calling me! I don't fancy anything else either so it's not me thinking 'WHY CAN'T I HAVE TOAST OR PORRIDGE' and stamping my feet  :rolleyes:  

Off for a short walk later - the sun is shining and the sky is blue. If you knew the weather we have had here in the South West of England this year you would now how rare this is and why I need to make the most of it. 

Onwards buddies! (and to the table for me)

I'm glad to hear there are more folks finding their way to this thread - it's great support to be doing this with others.

That's new news to me, @SharynF , about the eating within an hour of rising.  I generally like to have a warm beverage (used to be lemon juice and stevia or coffee and stevia, but now it's just green tea) and wait a bit for breakfat.  ( @katlady I have issues with giving up stevia too.)  Where did you read that you have to eat within an hour of rising?  I probably missed that guideline - there seems to be so many rules to follow.

Anyway I think what I miss most is the crunchy foods.  I did buy some almond slices but they don't have the same crunch that pretzels do.  Suggestions anyone?

Archived