Starting on March 1st. 2014

EmmySkimmy

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, it's day 5 and I have been really surprised at how crappy I feel. Having already let go of the sugar & grains months ago, I didn't expect much of a reaction. All day I have been tired, headachy & starving. Come to think about it, I haven't had much fat today maybe that's why I'm more hungry that usual.

Sorry you're feeling crappy @katlady - they say in The Whole30 Daily email that if you're hungry you need to eat more during meals or maybe have a whole 'nother meal.  (Or is it lack of caffeine?)  I guess getting into the whole meal concept vs. a snack is difficult though.  I had a headache on Monday but I felt better yesterday, although all day yesterday I kept thinking I smelled toast. 

Thanks for the url for the cauliflower "rice" - what a great idea for something to soak up a curry sauce!  I never really liked steamed cauliflower too much so didn't make it often, but this sounds great.

It's Day 6 for me now - I can't believe it's been almost a week! :o Days 3 and 4 I found myself getting very sleepy in the afternoon and had a big nap both days. Yesterday was a bit better and even managed to go for a walk with my husband and the doggies without any pain - for the past while now just a short walk was agony, so I am loving this change! No headaches thus far, so fingers crossed it stays that way. Skin hasn't been great, though, but I'm hoping it will clear up soon.

Woke up this morning with a big case of the 'I don't wanna's but I put this down to it being doomy and gloomy outside and my bed being really cosy. Still, I managed to get out of bed before I usually do and made myself a big bowl of pho with zoodles (zucchini noodles) for breakfast. Now I just have to work up the motivation to do something productive, like housework or some study.

@RaceMom - the eating within an hour of rising is stated in the "It Starts With Food" book. It's basically to keep your hormonal cycle in balance - specifically leptin, which is the hormone that causes the feeling of "fullness". When it's low, you feel hungry, when it's high, you feel full. When you wake in the morning, leptin is low. Once you have something to eat, it rises and kick-starts the cycle for the day. Normally, it should be high by the end of the day, and you shouldn't be getting hungry at night. However, if you don't eat straight away in the morning, the cycle doesn't start as it should and levels of leptin won't be as high as they should be at night, so you will probably find yourself with a case of the munchies after dinner. 

Hope this helps. :D

Anyway, I hope you all get over your 'hangover' stage soon. Stay shiny, everyone!

P.S. Cauliflower rice is amazing! I made a pilaf with it for breakfast earlier in the week.

That's new news to me, @SharynF , about the eating within an hour of rising.  

It's on pp. 185-6 in ISWF Redefining Breakfast "Ideally, eat Meal 1 within an hour of waking. ... wake, then eat. That is important."  The dots just cover different shift patterns. I was pulled up by mods on my first Whole30 in September for not eating within the hour. Although the mod we have seen on this thread seems less prescriptive than the two I mostly saw last time. 

How is everyone doing? We are almost finished with the first week! 

Sorry I was MIA yesterday (Day5). :ph34r:

I was hit by the Whole30 truck! I have been in bed and hardly able to do anything but lay there is pain since the evening of day 4. I hope and think I am starting to climb out of my Whole30 hole as I have been in bed for nearly 48hrs. I had to call in sick yesterday and today from work. I had to cancel my personal trainer hours both for Tuesday and today. I have had pain in my back, elbow, and neck along with not being up to stand up more than a few minutes. Super brain fog..I tried to get up and make my son's packed lunch and was just standing there in the kitchen...duhhhhhhhh. :blink:  So now I am up out of bed, but I am sore all over! I have to say this part is not much fun...I guess I need to hit rock bottom before I can start to feel better...

I have not had an appetite at all, but thankfully I had some already prepared meats and salads in the fridge so I have been eating a little bit.

Oh, this morning I was dreaming about the kids ice cream that is in the freezer, covered with this Daim and chocolate sauce that hardens on the ice cream...but I haven't touched anything we shouldn't eat. Thankfully I really haven't had crazy cravings.

I guess the symptoms above are similar to someone that has gone through withdrawals from something they were addicted to. I also think since I have been struggling with Lyme's disease for years that my nervous system needed time to adjust. I needed to rest to be able to repair.

Well, I am staying strong and positive, but I hope this phase is over soon. :rolleyes:  

That's new news to me, @SharynF , about the eating within an hour of rising.  I generally like to have a warm beverage (used to be lemon juice and stevia or coffee and stevia, but now it's just green tea) and wait a bit for breakfat.  ( @katlady I have issues with giving up stevia too.)  Where did you read that you have to eat within an hour of rising?  I probably missed that guideline - there seems to be so many rules to follow.

It's on pp. 185-6 in ISWF Redefining Breakfast "Ideally, eat Meal 1 within an hour of waking. ... wake, then eat. That is important."  

SharynF is correct about the ISWF recommendation to eat within an hour of waking. It contributes to proper hormonal balance.

Further, if the green tea you're drinking is caffeinated, the recommendation is to have that after meal 1, as caffeine is a potent appetite suppressant.

Sorry I have not had the energy to respond to some of the posts I would like to respond to.

But,  I have been reading everyone's post. I should be more attentive in the coming days.

@Sheryn..yes it is very nice to be in closer time zones and I have to say that all the food you have been making sounds extremely yummy!

I am missing my porridge for breakfast as well! And my tea with a splash of milk.but if I end of feeling better, it is worth skipping. Also Tari has it right, I just read in the book It Starts with Food also, that yes eating breakfast an hour after waking is important. Unfortunately I have not been following this rule the past two days because of my extreme lethargy....yawn..

@Tari...Sorry to hear about your joint pain, I feel your pain. Hope you enjoyed your walk with the hubby and doggies. My biggest hope for this change in my life is that I can be more me (happy, social, creative, good mom (god mama) and/og  good wife a(en god kone), and a good friend, and a good worker), and not the person that needs naps, is in pain, doesn't feel good more often than feeling good. 

Now I am just rambling...

Things will get better.

Emmy - wow that's some reaction you've had! I really do think we ought to make a note in our diaries for 3 or 6 months to remind us that we felt like. It might prevent a real slide back into old eating habits! 

I am doing ok so far - having a hungry day so I have just eaten a handful of mixed nuts. I couldn't face making a mini meal. The shoulder of pork in the sloe cooker is starting to smell good - that's for pulled pork tonight. Going to serve it with stir fried Brussels sprouts in ghee with onion. 

Onwards! 

Thanks for all the info on the *proper* breakfast.  The green tea I drink is caffeinated, so that was probably what caused me to not be hungry.  I'll have to fix that.  I also need to go buy the book - I've been meaning to swing by Costco to get it since I saw that it was sold there, but if I had just gone ahead and ordered it from Amazon I woulda had it last week :) .  Isn't that always the way?  The fast way to get something done doesn't always turn out that way!

@EmmySkimmy, I hope you're feeling better soon!

@Emmy, sorry to hear you've had a rough couple of days. Lyme's is an awful disease (one of my friends has been struggling with it for years) so I can see why you'd get knocked around so much. Hope your hubby and kids are taking good care of you and that you feeling better soon. :D

I don't know where some of my posts are going - but they seem to be disappearing. @Tari: LSP Stop wearing garbage for clothes - favourite character ever.

I am doing this because I have been through a very rough bout of depression and get very sore knee joints (and restless legs) when I have a low mood. Figured this diet might help my energy levels. I get various other transient pain when I am really depressed, and periods are worse too of course.

Just got put back on fluoxetine after my other medication for depression wasn't working. I am really sick and tired of going through the medication merry go round. Figured I need to 'do' something to try and make it better rather than waiting for drugs to kick in. The only good thing about the depression is that I have lost about 10 kilograms in about six months.

The thing I am really struggling with is the no milk thing. I tend to use milk as a way to fill up my stomach so I feel less hungry. That is an adjustment to say the least.

Am feeling a little bit better today. I actually got out of bed and did shit :D

Seriously though, I posted twice on here but the posts seem to have not registered.

@firesprite Heyyyy gurrrrrl! I love LSP, too. She's so fierce ^_^

I am sorry to hear you have been struggling with your depression. I have bipolar disorder so I can relate to the medication merry-go-round - in fact, the reason I decided to do the Whole30 is to try and combat the weight gain and constant hunger I've from my new medication (so far, so good!). Hope the fluoxetine works well for you :) If you ever need to vent or anything, feel free to reach out. We're all here to support each other. :D

Also, I feel like any day I manage to get out of bed is a good day. So go you!

Entering the middle of Day 7, almost finished with the first week of the rest of my life. The "diet" is going just fine, but the being tired all the time, sleep for the third day in a row and having joint pain is not fun. Went to the doctor today and he has given me sick leave from this past Tuesday until next Tuesday, but if I am well enough to go to work on Monday I can. 

Take care for now.

Wow Emmy you are having a tough time. I hope you start to feel better over the next day or so.

I feel OK but wish sleep would sort itself out. Last night was way too restless although I was listening out for my cat who had to stay in because he was off to the vet's for a dental operation first thing this morning. 

I drove to the river after dropping him off and went for an hour's walk. It was lovely - a sunny, mild morning. I really think Spring is on the way after a long wet and windy winter here in south west UK. 

Food is still good and I am living on left overs today as I have a fridge full of plastic boxes with little bits of good food in. Not going to waste any of those so today's concoctions will be weird! 

Onwards to the weekend - we survived last weekend so we can surely survive this one. 

Halfway through day 7 and feeling good. I was pretty freaked out by the restrictions early in the week (I'm doing AIP not just W30). But I spent hours online finding recipes and now I'm feeling confident. Made AIP modified sauce chien, garlic oil (to work like pepper on things) and a mixed fresh herb mix. Those help, as did my batch cooking and prep last Sunday. Now on Friday I just did that again.

I made an AIP modified Sunshine Sauce (google it, the real recipe is w30 and without the AIP changes must be awesome). The AIP version is tasty but the consistency is yucky, I'll try to play with it and will definitely try it again but without coconut butter (what I used in place of sunflower seed butter). Made my first cauliflower rice too.

Hello, I'm new to the forum but I started on 1 March.  It's day 7 and I've done so well, but all I want right now is chocolate.  I'm at work, and I usually have an afternoon sweet snack and coffee at this time.  So, it's killing me!  I just had to confess to someone.

Middle of Day 8 and it's all going well so far. 

AIP is auto immune protocol - there is an AIP Whole30 plan for those that need it. Very strict! 

I am a tour guide in Exeter and have a 90 minute tour this afternoon. I hope somebody shows up to make it worthwhile getting myself into town. The weather is fine and sunny but with a chilly wind, I could be lucky. It can't be counted as exercise although it's fun and keeps the brain cells working well. I may treat myself to a trip to the cinema afterwards as hubby is out until about 7pm. Book Thief or Grand Budapest Hotel? That's my dilemma today - food is sorted  :D

Archived