Starting on March 1st. 2014

EmmySkimmy

I would not consider this grounds for a restart. I would suggest you wait the additional days necessary to make it 30 days grain free to do a grain (gluten or non gluten as oats can easily be contaminated) introduction. You could start with dairy and legumes if those are on your list.  

Label reading is a learning process and it takes a while to engrave it to the brain. I've been a careful label reader for almost 2 years now and I still slip up from time to time so no hard feelings it happens to all of us. 

I am old enough and wise enough to know better about the labels. I have been dieting for 35 years!!!!!! 

I am in this for the long haul and especially Lent so I will do more than 30 days anyway. I did 50 last time . Thanks for the guidance :)

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome Megalinity! My is almost gone too and I tried on a pair of 12 size jean that I have not worn in at least 2 years and they fit comfortably. 

Now all I need is some ENERGY!!!!!!! At least I am not asleep all day like I was last week. Both my kiddos are home sick with me today. I don't know what is going on...hope we are all well and full of energy before Easter arrives. I have been able to finish one of the guest rooms and this evening I am going to work on cleaning and organizing my kitchen. Then I can actually say three rooms in the house are completely done..(my son's room was the first to be finished). One day at a time.

Sharyn..sorry about your oat mishap.. If you have eaten all four bars than you have consumed 120g of bars..meaning that 24g of all those bars put together were oats :o ... Well I am on the Whole 90...AIP so you can hang out with me. Plus I like your food combinations and ideas. Good stuff.

• Moderators

Day 13, y'all. How's everyone feeling? I'm particularly lethargic, but luckily I was able to slightly clear my schedule to work in a nap and down time.

We're moving into the third week of our W30, as Sharyn mentioned. What are everyone's plans to keep things moving in the right direction?

I'm already starting to plan my Saturday shopping and cook up for the week. Got a shipment of grassfed meats today including a compliant corned beef. Looking forward to that on Monday. Trying out some new NomNom and Well Fed 2 recipes too. Anticipating fun in the kitchen this weekend and great eating all week long. Plus, I've got a massage scheduled for Monday afternoon.

Having things to look forward to is the way I move through life, what can I say?

• Moderators

Congrats, Emmy, on fitting into your jeans--that's one of the best feelings in the world, if you ask me!

Sharyn, that stinks about the bar. But it wasn't a deliberate off-road. Live and learn. I've been lucky in that I haven't had to reach for any packaged things. It's not always convenient, but it is ultimately easier to eat food that doesn't have a label for you to read (or not read)!

Meg, yay for seeing positive change. You go, gurl!

@ Emmy - I know The Paleo Approach and many other AIP programs recommend doing the AIP protocol for a "minimum" of 30-60 days and Sarah Ballantyne says "and 3-4 months would be much better".  

But that had me closing my eyes and turning away completely - I have houseguests coming in April, travel in May, June, July & August and basically couldn't see a way to even START the AIP until September (peak season for tomatoes!) with the 3-4 month mindset.  But in late February I realized that March had a clear calendar and I could commit to doing 30 days - thinking that if at the end of 30 days I didn't see some serious signs of improvement I'd just stop.  But now I'm on Day 14, and this AIP is going so well, I'm considering extending another 30 days.  And I'm not even feeling that "serious improvement" I'm just not feeling as deprived as I thought I would. I now feel I could manage to eat AIP around my houseguests.  And maybe I'll decide I can figure out a way to make this work in May during travel if I need to, even if it means eating coconut and freeze dried strawberries all day every day...

Anyway, I decided to start by taking a step, instead of thinking through the longer-term recommendation, because I was too scared of a longer-term recommendation.  But as I get more days of success under my belt, it's feeling more like I could continue longer. 

@SarahInParis,  I think that's a great attitude!  Just looking at something for the short term, deciding to do it just for today, or this week or this month, then re-evaluate when the time comes.  Otherwise things (and life) can be so overwhelming.  I'm glad to hear some folks are considering staying on the eating plan - I'm also considering it.  (and glad to hear you're not resetting your start date @SharynF even though I hope you'd still post in this thread! but sorry to hear about your shopping "mis-purchase" with oats)

I've been venturing out into new foods and recipes myself - you've all inspired me!  I made roasted, mashed squash with curry powder and coconut milk (this is all new for me!) and it turns out to be a great sauce.  I think I'll saute chicken and veggies and use this sauce over that cauliflower rice.

It's it funny that our faces / chins are the first place we see a weight loss.  I can always spot it there right away.  It's like continual encouragement.

Hope everyone has a great and successful weekend!

Sarah, that is fantastic. I'm going on vacation and to my brothers wedding at the end of June, so I am committing to staying AIP until then and then I will return again. So that is about 3.5 months of AIP. Glad things are going so well. If you have made up your mind then it shouldn't be a problem having guests around.  :)

I'm wavering a bit now about continuing the AIP, ha! Actually, what pushed me to jump in to AIP was a concern I had about my baby daughter's skin, I was worried she had a skin thing that apparently is autoimmune that I've had most of my life.  But to have it so young seemed really scary (she's 9 months old) so I thought I'd try the AIP on myself to see if it helped me, and have it in mind for her down the road.  But we saw the doctor yesterday and she reassured me that there is nothing going on with her skin, she just had a topical reaction to one of her vaccines.  So, a huge relief, but one that has me questioning my commitment to continue AIP long term.  My own skin problems have actually been under great control for several years thanks to medication, and I'm kid of scared to go off the meds and see if just the AIP will work.  

I think what I really need to do is calculate the schedule for reintroductions to see if I can get a few things reintroduced before our trip in May (which would make traveling much much easier) and then work backwards to how long I can stay on full elimination.

Sarah, wish you the best of luck on whatever you decide. Sorry to hear your baby girl is having a reaction to vaccines. That scares me to bits. My kids are allergy kids (8yr boy and 17month girl). They are allergic to milk, nuts, eggs, strawberries and bananas...I have a feeling this came from me... :(  My kids have never had a shot because of their allergies. They are pretty healthy (except my daughter has caught Hand, Foot, & Mouth virus that is going around the daycare at the moment). They have never had an ear infection and I think my son has had a fever 2 or 3 times. If he gets a cold he is sick for a day maybe two. My son had the chicken poxes,but it was very mild and wasn't that big of a deal, thankfully.

Yippie! Day 15!... Pancake day at my house was a little bit of torture today. I had broth while everyone enjoyed their allergy free ingredient pancakes with wild blueberries. Usually on Sundays but we didn't have them last weekend because I wasn't well. 

Oh..last night I was soooo craving a glass of wine. I usually would have a glass or two on Friday and/or Saturday evening. But I didn't and once I had a lovely steak, a spinach salad and a sweet potato I was fine.

• Moderators

Wow, Emmy, you're doing great resisting temptation. Very impressive.

Sounds like you're doing great, RaceMom. How wonderful that you're trying and enjoying new foods, not to mention a slimmer jawline.

I did AIP for a few weeks last year and ultimately decided I didn't need it. But I can certainly appreciate the additional effort it takes to eliminate seeds and eggs especially. You really have to focus on using roots and herbs for seasoning food. Sounds like you've got a healthy attitude, SarahinParis. Keep on with it as long as it's serving you.

I had a craving for scotch last night, of all things. Weird. It was while at rehearsal where everyone was munching on candy and preparing to go out for a drink. I hate to miss out on the social stuff, but I was tired, and certainly didn't need the temptation right in my face, so I just went home to bed after unwinding with half an episode of one of my favorite murder mystery shows. I am not the party girl I used to be. Not this month anyway!

Congrats to all of us who are halfway there. I don't know about you, but for me it's flying by. I'm enjoying marking it week by week with food shopping and preparation for the week ahead. I'm taking a break from chicken this week and having some lovely grass fed lamb and beef in honor of Paddy's Day (and to slightly ease the sting from the fact that I won't be enjoying either Guinness or Jameson on Monday). Also adding in various livers, which I love. Testing out several recipes from Well Fed 2 and Nom Nom's cookbook. I highly recommend them both to those of you looking for inspiration in the kitchen.

Two weeks down, two to go!

Woo! Day 15 is almost over!! My bike workouts are getting a little easier; I can go longer and harder!

A few days ago I was visiting a friend in the hospital and she was craving a popsicle. The nurse went to find her one, and on her way out the door, asked me if I also wanted one. Without thinking, I said yes. A few minutes before she returned, I realized what I had done!! Then I felt incredibly guilty, because it turned out that she bought them for us herself, since the hospital was out. After a few minutes of wavering between REALLY REALLY just straight up not wanting the HFCS laden thing and not wanting to hurt her feelings (she was an AWESOME nurse), I decided to suck it up and refuse the "treat." We put it in the freezer for my friend to enjoy later. 

The wavering was only because I did not want to hurt the nurse's feelings! I had absolutely ZERO desire to eat something whose first three ingredients included syrup, HFCS, and cellulose. GROSS!! I was just straight up revolted at the idea of putting that popsicle into my face. Three weeks ago, I wouldn't have thought twice. 

I don't know about you guys, but I vary between planning my first post-Whole30 reintroduction meals and wanting to continue the program forever.

Yippie! Day 15!... Pancake day at my house was a little bit of torture today. I had broth while everyone enjoyed their allergy free ingredient pancakes with wild blueberries. Usually on Sundays but we didn't have them last weekend because I wasn't well. 

Oh..last night I was soooo craving a glass of wine. I usually would have a glass or two on Friday and/or Saturday evening. But I didn't and once I had a lovely steak, a spinach salad and a sweet potato I was fine.

Pancakes are hard. They're one of my absolute favorite foods!! And to make matters worse, my friend and her mom were discussing the merits of pancakes vs. waffles last night. So not what I needed to be hearing about! 

Confession time - no details cos you are all doing so well and I don't want to make you think about foods you're not thinking about. 

Hubby and I went out for the day yesterday and it was the best of days - one of those that will stay in my memory for ever. We went to the beach for a lovely walk, collected some pretty shells for my craft work, did some shopping with a local butcher who knows where his meat comes from and then played silly games in the van on the way home. We laughed more than we have in years and had a great time together. Not bad for 26years together :wub:  BUT we went for a pub lunch and that was my downfall. It's a chain which is not too good on healthy and not very helpful on picking and choosing from the menu. So my W30 went a bit t!ts up. Breakfast and supper were good but lunch was off the scale. I am not restarting, I am looking at is a learning curve because I had an awful headache last night, night sweats and my knee and elbow hurt more again today, I am amazed at the reaction after just two weeks of clean eating. 

I am going to Sorrento at the end of May and hope to stay on Whole 30 until a couple of weeks before we fly - I want to spend a couple of weeks on reintro of foods I may have to eat in Italy (last time we went the hotel food was awful!!). 

Onwards! 

Megalinity, you are doing great. This is one of the hardest things, giving in to eating something because you don't want to hurt someone's feelings. I felt this way when I denied eating a special meal made by my father in-law... Yes my family loves pancakes and waffles..

LadyM, thanks for the support and I'm not much of a party girl this month either. Good job on resisting the temptations at your social event. When I was craving wine on Friday, hubby was kind enough to drink beer instead of wine in front of me. Hahh hah..that kind of helped since I really didn't want beer, but still I was craving a drink...oh well. I can save the drink for our 10 year anniversary at the end of May and my brother's wedding at the end of June. :-)

I am going to make a note in my diary about the reactions to yesterday's off roading. 

I forgot to mention the niggly cough and the sore throat, and the raging thirst. But a new one just now was a massive griping pain in my stomach (like trapped wind)  which went on and on. I dashed to the loo and will not go into further details but if you believe in 24 hour transit time then yesterday's lunch left me in style. Feeling slightly fragile now but better! And determined not to let that happen again. 

Wow - hard to believe it's the 16th and we're on the back half of the 30 days now!  It really has gone fast.  You all are doing so well resisting temptation!  Keep up the good job!  I was home alone this week and find it so much easier to stay on plan when I'm just feeding myself and making my own meal choices. 

A jacket I bought last month that was slightly snug is still the same so I don't think I've lost much if any weight - but I tell you what, my nails are incredible.  I've never known them to be so hard.  I wonder if it's the extra protein, or something else.

I spent today making chicken soup with some organic chickens I bought, plus carrots, celery and onions.  I made some turkey soup at the start of the diet and found it to be the perfect breakfast when I didn't feel like or didn't have time to make eggs.  Strange how breakfast has gone from something very carby (toast and jam) to a regular meal.  I do find it keeps me less hungry until later in the day - and if I can push off lunch for awhile I'm not as hungry coming home from work and don't just walk right to the fridge and make some quick but bad choices.

I hope everyone has a great week!

I am back on plan. I made mashed sweet potatoes with scrambled eggs last night as I didn't want meat on my sore tum. It was a fab combo and will be my new 'comfort food'. I know we are trying to reset our relationship with food and I would love to be able to. But if I fail then this will be my go-to in extremis

I slept on the sofa yesterday afternoon and was in bed by 9pm and slept until 7. Feeling better now and determined to see this through to mid May for my Sorrento holiday. A bit of a hangover headache but nothing major. Hairdressers later for a cut and colour so that should help to boost me up too. 

Have a good Monday buddies

Onward!!

• Moderators

Sorry for your mishaps, Sharyn, but glad you're learning from it and moving on. A go-to comfort food is a good thing, too!

I love soup for breakfast, too, RaceMom. Glad you're finding what works for you.

I'm very excited for Paddy's Day. Not sure why I'm up so early, but I took the opportunity to start my corned beef and veg in the crockpot early enough to have it for lunch. Also going to try out this paleo colcannon recipe. I'm actually loving the challenge of making my favorite foods compliant. You'll never hear me complain about eating sweet potatoes over white potatoes.

I went for a nine-mile run yesterday and it felt good! This is excellent progress. I'm sore today, but not ridiculously so.

Happy St. Patrick's Day, everyone!

Sharyn, glad you've gotten up quickly from your stumble.

Happy to be in the second half right now! My resolve to do another 30 days is fading (I'm doing AIP, so far more restrictions). I actually may extend to 60 days because it will take at least a month to get through reintroductions cleanly, and I really want to do them well. One good hong about AIP is that "regular" paleo looks so broad and varied! (I'm actually not struggling all that much with AIP, I'm just not sure I need to continue longer, and I'd like more flexibility for when we travel - AIP on the road is extremely difficult.) travel is in early May.

Archived