About coconut and my breakfast

meili

Hello everyone!  I understand the goodness of coconut and wondering if someone can enlighten me further here.

Can eating fresh coconut meat on a daily basis (+/- palm size amount) lead to eventual weight gain for someone with average to low activeness (I do gym once, sometimes twice a week)

I have completed my whole30 but planning to continue eating the whole30 way which I really enjoy.

Example of my typical daily breakfast salad during my first whole30:

1/4 avocado

2-3 TBS coconut meat

1/2 plum

2 strawberries

2 slices raw beetroot

1TBS dried goji/inca/mulberry 

1 TBS seeds & nuts (sunflower/pumpkin/brazil)

1 large boiled egg

some lettuce

1 tsp ground cinnamon & 1 tsp maca powder (serve as "dressing") 

Do you think the breakfast is sustainable or should i remove the coconut meat or any item?

Are you talking about meat fresh from a coconut? Or dried? Regardless, I don't see a huge issue. 

I do have some concern about protein quantity, though. One egg is not nearly enough protein for your first meal. I would recommend adding a couple more or a different protein source to make up the difference.

Hi missmary, it is fresh coconut which I cracked daily for the water but have also been eating it daily since I started whole30.  My family and friends are all telling me I am eating far too much coconut and how fattening it is.

I have tried eating more eggs (and chicken) but my body just can't seem to stomach it and usually end up feeling quite queasy :-(   

• Moderators

You may have digestion issues, but that does not mean you do not need more protein. The protein of one egg is not nearly enough to optimize your health. Like Miss Mary said, you would need about 3 and maybe 4. Adding that much egg may mean you need to reduce the amount of coconut because in addition to protein, eggs include good fat too. You may need to go on digestive enzymes for a while to help your body get up to speed on processing protein if you are queasy in the morning from eating more than one egg. You might want to review this article for more info: http://whole9life.com/2012/09/digestive-enzymes-101/

Eggs give me a massive stomach ache (and, within about thirty minutes, massive and desperate hunger pangs combined with the aforementioned massive stomach ache).  I can't tolerate 'em.  Digestive enzymes do nothing for this.  I say that to suggest that eliminating eggs and eating another kind of protein may work for you.  I've tried Tom's frequent suggestion to eat hardboiled eggs for a quick morning breakfast when there's no time for anything else, and boy do I pay for it all day.  Gaspofagony.  So - some of us can't eat eggs.  This doesn't mean we can't eat protein.  I just ate a breakfast of leftover pot roast with kale, spaghetti squash, and avocado.  One of my personal favorites, and no tummy ache!!!

Try a variety of proteins.

And stick your fingers in your ears and say "lalalala" when people tell you this or that natural food is fattening.  They have no clue.  Eat up!

I guess I am not having a problem so far on the plan, as I have always loved to eat anything at anytime of day...so I am not in the mindset that breakfast has to have eggs, oatmeal, granola, yogurt, etc.  That being said, I love me some eggs, but I can eat anything at 5 am that I can eat at 5pm. 

How about cooking up a pound of hamburger in patties and storing them in the fridge, then reheating one or two a day for breakfast?  I do that quite frequently.  Or do the same thing with some compliant bulk pork sausage.

I can't eat many eggs, and I can't eat chicken at all - in about 10 hours, I feel like I have the flu.  :-( 

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I am glad I am not the only one with eggs for breakfast.  I am fine with more protein meal for lunch and dinner, it's just breakfast that I cannot seem to eat so much protein so is it possible to have more eggs/meat during lunch and less at breakfast?

Unfortunately there is no good quality meat (no grass-fed available) where I am so I tend to limit red meat to maybe once a week as a treat and my main source of protein is eggs, chicken or seafood.

After completion of the first whole30, I feel good but I never had that energetic burst, in fact most days I feel quite low in energy so I modified my food intake and ate as close to the food template as possible but maybe I am still not doing something right, especially breakfast. 

• Moderators

Meili,

It is really key to get the recommended amounts of protein and fat at every meal, per the Meal Template. Veggies too of course but it sounds like you have that part down.

No offense to your friends and family but if they haven't read It Starts With Food, they're likely going on what they've read and heard for years, not scientific facts. They mean well but if they had the answers you'd be following their food and exercise recommendations and not doing the Whole 30, right? ;)

Keep on keepin' on!

How about cooking up a pound of hamburger in patties and storing them in the fridge, then reheating one or two a day for breakfast?  I do that quite frequently.  Or do the same thing with some compliant bulk pork sausage.

I can't eat many eggs, and I can't eat chicken at all - in about 10 hours, I feel like I have the flu.  :-( 

reheated hamburger patty is one of my favorite breakfasts.  I, personally, like to add an egg on top to it too, but its very good without the egg.  Now my mouth is watering typing this...

Archived