My Journey to Wellness: Why no snacks?

cmacdonald8

I am on my second day of the Whole30 and am feeling pretty good about it. My only problem is the no snacking. Can someone explain the reason for no snacks between meals? I don't feel like I can eat more at my meals; however, I still feel I need a snack. Maybe it is just a habit I need to break, sometimes I just feel like I need to be eating, but I am also having issues with my meds. Two of my evening meds make me extremely hungry (carb/junk food craving hungry-hits worst in the afternoon) and my morning med suppresses my appetite (until about 3pm), which I think may be affecting my morning intake. Can the Whole30 be done with compliant snacks? Also, I am concerned that I may be eating too much fruit, I just really love fruit!!!

Day 1;

Breakfast: 2 baked chicken thighs*, 10 Brazil nuts, and 2c steamed green beans

Snack: 3 stalks of celery

Lunch: 3 baked chicken thighs, 20 baby carrots, and 2c steamed green beans

Snack: 3 Mandarin oranges (they were just so good)

Dinner: 1c seasoned pork roast, 2c broccoli, 2 baked chicken thighs

Evening Snack: 6 strawberries, 2c cantaloupe and 1/2c cashews

*I don't think I had every eaten chicken thighs before, they are great!!

Day 2

Breakfast: 3 baked chicken thighs, 1/2c cashews (my green beans fell on the floor in the car, so they were a no go :( )

Lunch: 2.6oz tuna in olive oil, a tomato, and 1c green beans

Snack: 1/2 c walnuts and 12 strawberries

Dinner: 1c chocolate chili, 1c broccoli, 1c green beans

Evening Snack: yet to come

Welcome!

First off, do you have a copy of the meat template? It's recommended that all meals follow the template of 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and the appropriate amount of compliant fat.  It's unclear whether your meals have enough fat, which could be the reason you feel the need to snack.

Fruit is optional on a Whole30, and the recommended amount is 1-2 servings a day, where a serving is the size of your fist. Further, fruit should be eaten only with or immediately after meals, not as a snack.  So, yes, you're currently exceeding the fruit recommendations.  :) 

Snacking is discouraged, because (from ISWF) "it can turn eating habits into grazing and that can disrupt the normal functioning of leptin, insulin and glucagon, and may promote inadvertent overconsumption."

The idea is to structure meals that keep you satiated for 4-5 hours.  If you find yourself genuinely hungry in between meals as you're working on portion sizes (hungry = you could eat steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini-meal that includes a protein and fat. Nuts are a fat source on a Whole30. 

Thank you for your reply. I have been finishing the day with 50% calories from fat, 30% from protein, and 20% carbohydrate. Every meal is pretty consistent with that. It is probably just a habit I have to break! :(. When I get back to working out hopefully the pwo/pwo and breakfast will get me through the morning and I can eat lunch later in order to make it through the afternoon. I appreciate the quick reply!!!

I am on my second day of the Whole30 and am feeling pretty good about it. My only problem is the no snacking. Can someone explain the reason for no snacks between meals? I don't feel like I can eat more at my meals; however, I still feel I need a snack. Maybe it is just a habit I need to break, sometimes I just feel like I need to be eating, but I am also having issues with my meds. Two of my evening meds make me extremely hungry (carb/junk food craving hungry-hits worst in the afternoon) and my morning med suppresses my appetite (until about 3pm), which I think may be affecting my morning intake. Can the Whole30 be done with compliant snacks? Also, I am concerned that I may be eating too much fruit, I just really love fruit!!!

Day 1;

Breakfast: 2 baked chicken thighs*, 10 Brazil nuts, and 2c steamed green beans

Snack: 3 stalks of celery

Lunch: 3 baked chicken thighs, 20 baby carrots, and 2c steamed green beans

Snack: 3 Mandarin oranges (they were just so good)

Dinner: 1c seasoned pork roast, 2c broccoli, 2 baked chicken thighs

Evening Snack: 6 strawberries, 2c cantaloupe and 1/2c cashews

*I don't think I had every eaten chicken thighs before, they are great!!

Day 2

Breakfast: 3 baked chicken thighs, 1/2c cashews (my green beans fell on the floor in the car, so they were a no go :( )

Lunch: 2.6oz tuna in olive oil, a tomato, and 1c green beans

Snack: 1/2 c walnuts and 12 strawberries

Dinner: 1c chocolate chili, 1c broccoli, 1c green beans

Evening Snack: yet to come

The first week is the hardest because you are trying to figure out how much food to eat at each meal so you don't have to snack. My advise for the first week is to stuff yourself at each meal. You will soon learn what amount you need to last until your next meal. Also some days you will need to eat more than others, if you need to eat, then eat. Just make sure it is a mini meal with protein, fat and veggies instead of  fruit or nuts only. Good Luck!

I know and I should quit tracking, it is just that the program I use is so easy for me. I have several food sensitivities, so I track in order to see if a reaction is due to food. I think eggs are the only Whole30 compliant food that I am sensitive to, but just in case another ones is lurking out there and if I do decide to eat eggs, it is nice to have a log. To log or not to log?!?! Maybe I'll give it a shot without. Thanks!

Thanks Tina, the idea of stuffing myself sounds so good today, as I was very hungry (and tired) when I woke up. I think I can handle the mini meal, can nuts count as a fat and protein, so that I just have to add veggies or should I add a lean source of protein to the mix as well. Once I started the meds that cause extreme hunger veggies became my go to snack, and I love munching on those. Nuts are so easy to eat wherever I am at, but lean proein (while not impossible) adds a little bit more to the planning. I hve a bad habit of grazing, stretching one meal across 3 hours :(. Also, I now I am not drinking enough water, so I am going to start with water when I feel hungry.

Granted I am only on day 3, but I am so proud of myself, my husband has always done the cooking and we relied on easy fixes. Now I am cooking everynight. Last night I made what I call St. Patricks day stir fry (what I thought of when I realized my stir-fry only had green veggies), I cooked the chicken, made the sauce, and steamed the veggies, and it really didn't take long at all! Who knew!?!? :) My son thinks I am training to be a ninja and that I am on a ninja diet, so he is really excited to be eating ninja food. I think the strictness of the Whole30 has been more of an assest than a detriment!

Thank you both for your support!!

I know and I should quit tracking, it is just that the program I use is so easy for me. I have several food sensitivities, so I track in order to see if a reaction is due to food. I think eggs are the only Whole30 compliant food that I am sensitive to, but just in case another ones is lurking out there and if I do decide to eat eggs, it is nice to have a log. To log or not to log?!?! Maybe I'll give it a shot without. Thanks!

Thanks Tina, the idea of stuffing myself sounds so good today, as I was very hungry (and tired) when I woke up. I think I can handle the mini meal, can nuts count as a fat and protein, so that I just have to add veggies or should I add a lean source of protein to the mix as well. Once I started the meds that cause extreme hunger veggies became my go to snack, and I love munching on those. Nuts are so easy to eat wherever I am at, but lean proein (while not impossible) adds a little bit more to the planning. I hve a bad habit of grazing, stretching one meal across 3 hours :(. Also, I now I am not drinking enough water, so I am going to start with water when I feel hungry.

Granted I am only on day 3, but I am so proud of myself, my husband has always done the cooking and we relied on easy fixes. Now I am cooking everynight. Last night I made what I call St. Patricks day stir fry (what I thought of when I realized my stir-fry only had green veggies), I cooked the chicken, made the sauce, and steamed the veggies, and it really didn't take long at all! Who knew!?!? :) My son thinks I am training to be a ninja and that I am on a ninja diet, so he is really excited to be eating ninja food. I think the strictness of the Whole30 has been more of an assest than a detriment!

Thank you both for your support!!

Great to see that you are doing so well your first week. Nuts should be considered fat only not protein so make sure you add some protein to your snack. Great idea about the ninja training!

Archived