Hubby hates sweet potatoes!

So my husband has finally decided to try a Whole30 - YAY! I'm so proud. Anyway, I'm having a tough time trying to make sure he's eating enough carbs.... he HATES sweet potatoes. Everything about them. Texture, flavor, color, smell, etc etc (everrrryyything). He doesn't like squash. He doesn't like pumpkin. I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

I don't know if I can "hide" sweet potatoes by making a hash, or if anyone has any other suggestions or recipes? I'd reeeeally appreciate it.

We just started this week (me on Monday, he on Tuesday), and I've been feeding him carrots like he's a dang rabbit.

Does he like meatloaf?  This is a yummy meatloaf recipe that has shredded sweet potato in it.  If you don't have compliant bacon, use compliant pancetta, or skip it and cook the raisins and onions in a compliant fat. http://paleomg.com/paleo-savory-sweet-potato-meatloaf/

Other carb-dense options besides sweet potatoes, winter squash and carrots include beets, jicama, plantains, rutabaga and parsnips.

This is a great breakfast casserole. I substitute 1/2 a large rutabaga for the turnips, and reduce the cooking time 5 minutes for each phase. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-breakfast-casserole/#axzz2uShWR0pE

This plantain beef pie is to die for: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/15952-plantain-beef-pie/

Does he like meatloaf?  This is a yummy meatloaf recipe that has shredded sweet potato in it.  If you don't have compliant bacon, use compliant pancetta, or skip it and cook the raisins and onions in a compliant fat. http://paleomg.com/paleo-savory-sweet-potato-meatloaf/

Other carb-dense options besides sweet potatoes, winter squash and carrots include beets, jicama, plantains, rutabaga and parsnips.

This is a great breakfast casserole. I substitute 1/2 a large rutabaga for the turnips, and reduce the cooking time 5 minutes for each phase. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-breakfast-casserole/#axzz2uShWR0pE

This plantain beef pie is to die for: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/15952-plantain-beef-pie/

He hates meatloaf :( I thought about trying to make some meatballs and add grated sweet potato... 

I remember you and I talked about that breakfast casserole before and I loved it! I thought rutabaga was a good source of carbs, but then I thought I looked it up and it's really low actually?

He doesn't like plantains either... I swear, it's like I'm feeding a large man-baby. lol.

He hates meatloaf :( I thought about trying to make some meatballs and add grated sweet potato... 

I remember you and I talked about that breakfast casserole before and I loved it! I thought rutabaga was a good source of carbs, but then I thought I looked it up and it's really low actually?

He doesn't like plantains either... I swear, it's like I'm feeding a large man-baby. lol.

Hmm ... google says 1 cup of rutabaga has 33g of carbs, 1 cup of parsnips has 24g , and 1 cup sweet potato has 27g, so it's up there.

He is tricky!!  Maybe it's time to get creative with carrots? This carrot parsnip puree for Nom Nom Paleo is good. http://nomnompaleo.com/post/4105061950/carrot-parsnip-puree

Hmm ... google says 1 cup of rutabaga has 33g of carbs, 1 cup of parsnips has 24g , and 1 cup sweet potato has 27g, so it's up there.

He is tricky!!  Maybe it's time to get creative with carrots? This carrot parsnip puree for Nom Nom Paleo is good. http://nomnompaleo.com/post/4105061950/carrot-parsnip-puree

I wonder what list I was looking at! Well now I'm looking at a list that says rutabaga has 15g per cup. Oh well, at least its higher than I was thinking from what I found previously.

Thanks for your help! And I was just looking at that puree earlier - will have to try!

The white sweet potatoes are really mild and minimally sweet compared to the orange sweet potatoes and even the Japanese sweet potatoes.  My husband also won't eat anything orange that's cooked and doesn't think hot food should be sweet unless it's dessert, but I can get the white sweet potatoes past him if they are in soup or something, or if they are fried in coconut oil.  They still aren't his favorite, but he will eat them and they don't activate his gag reflex!  :-) 

Beets roasted in olive oil with sea salt are pretty savory.  I have leftovers for breakfast sometimes. 

For me, sweet potatoes were an acquired taste when I started Paleo a year ago. I never really liked them before, but I tried to find ways to eat them that would be good.  I had to learn that sweet potatoes do not work as a "white" potato replacement for me.  the sweetness factor makes it difficult for me to consume them as a savory dish, in the same manner that I could with white potatoes.  In my transition, I decided to eat them in a way that made their sweetness an asset and that's how I learned to like them.  To this day, I still can't eat them in a hash or anything breakfast related that would have been a salty or savory dish.  It just doesn't go.  But, I can certainly eat sweet potatoes with cinnamon, ghee, nuts and/or coconut flakes (or any combo) and be ok with it b/c those flavors make sense to my palate.  Maybe instead of using the sweet potato as a way to substitute a way he would have eaten white potatoes, find ways that really showcase the sweet potato in is sweet flavor.

For me, sweet potatoes were an acquired taste when I started Paleo a year ago. I never really liked them before, but I tried to find ways to eat them that would be good.  I had to learn that sweet potatoes do not work as a "white" potato replacement for me.  the sweetness factor makes it difficult for me to consume them as a savory dish, in the same manner that I could with white potatoes.  In my transition, I decided to eat them in a way that made their sweetness an asset and that's how I learned to like them.  To this day, I still can't eat them in a hash or anything breakfast related that would have been a salty or savory dish.  It just doesn't go.  But, I can certainly eat sweet potatoes with cinnamon, ghee, nuts and/or coconut flakes (or any combo) and be ok with it b/c those flavors make sense to my palate.  Maybe instead of using the sweet potato as a way to substitute a way he would have eaten white potatoes, find ways that really showcase the sweet potato in is sweet flavor.

That's funny because I was the exact opposite.  I never liked sweet potatoes as the ways I had always had them they were prepared in a sweet way!  I like them better prepared with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, rosemary, and paprika.   Obviously I like them  prepared certain ways more so than others but I now love SP!

This is just a thought - it's a theory actually - I found that generally people don't like foods that they are naturally allergic to.  For instance.  I never particularly cared for cauliflower.  I would never outright turn it down (My mom never really had to fight me to eat veggies - I generally loved them) but during a whole 30 I noticed that cauliflower gave me some pretty severe stomach distress.  I have since discovered that my body doesn't handle the goitrogens terribly well.  They have to pared off with either a good portion of starchy veg or a double does of fat in order for my body to handle them well.  Cauliflower I had the worst reaction to so therefore there is no love lost for it being off the menu.  So if he likes carrots - feed him carrots.  Try parsnips as well.  Similar carrot taste.  You can try Celery root as well.  I find celery root mashed with sweet potato is quite nice.  The celery root mixes up the taste a bit. 

I made a great breakfast this past Saturday - homemade beef sausage with apples (Google - Goodbye Jimmy Deans), rutabaga and sweet potato hash (shredded both of these in equal parts, diced onion sauteed in coconut oil, s&p, lots of garlic powder, onion powder) and scrambled eggs...... He gobbled it down! (WINNING!)

Archived