Reintroduction Advice

JohannaE

My Whole30 ends Tuesday!  Can't believe it. That really wasn't that bad.  Anyways, I'm starting to think about my reintroductions.  I'm thinking I'll introduce Gluten on the 5th.  It's where I go from there I'm not sure about.  I could then do 100% Whole30 Thursday an Friday, but then I have a baby shower Saturday so I'm not sure what to try to reintroduce that day.  It's pretty hard to have one item you're reintroducing when you're not sure what's on the menu.  Alternatively, I may try my hand at "riding my own bike" that day and allow myself to have what I want in moderation, test out my ability to ask "is it worth it?"  That's really my biggest challenge.  I would probably still avoid major off-roading (like cake).  Then I'd go back to my reintroductions from there.  

Experts, weigh in... does that sound like a decent plan, or am I better off trying to pick one item and navigate the event only having dairy, for example?

I am not an expert but the problem with trying a bunch of different things at the same time is, if you have a reaction you don't know what item caused the problem. If you start eating all the non-complaint foods you will have wasted the work you did during your whole30. I know it is tough because you feel like celebrating your victory but I think you will be rewarded if you stick to the plan. Good Luck!

My Whole30 ends Tuesday!  Can't believe it. That really wasn't that bad.  Anyways, I'm starting to think about my reintroductions.  I'm thinking I'll introduce Gluten on the 5th.  It's where I go from there I'm not sure about.  I could then do 100% Whole30 Thursday an Friday, but then I have a baby shower Saturday so I'm not sure what to try to reintroduce that day.  It's pretty hard to have one item you're reintroducing when you're not sure what's on the menu.  Alternatively, I may try my hand at "riding my own bike" that day and allow myself to have what I want in moderation, test out my ability to ask "is it worth it?"  That's really my biggest challenge.  I would probably still avoid major off-roading (like cake).  Then I'd go back to my reintroductions from there.  

Experts, weigh in... does that sound like a decent plan, or am I better off trying to pick one item and navigate the event only having dairy, for example?

Yes, you're better off having one item-like dairy. I think it's more likely that you'll be confronted with gluten than dairy though so maybe you should reintro dairy first. Just a thought.

Well, I've heard some suggestions from moderators that it's okay to do some "off-roading" during reintros and then go pure Whole30 for a couple of days and restart the reintro period.  I'm not really thinking of it as treating myself or splurging, more just not being a crazy person for a day.  I guess I recognize this isn't the perfect model, but I'm not prepared to add 15 more days to my Whole30, which is essentially what I would have to do to reintroduce gluten, legumes, dairy, non-gluten grains and alcohol one at a time with no breaks.  

I definitely agree with you on gluten, I'm just also thinking that gluten is the food group that I want the "cleanest" test of a reintroduction to, so doing it first would be ideal in that sense.  I think you're probably right though... Hmm...

If it's not possible to cleanly reintro another item at the shower, or stay Whole30 compliant, I recommend minimizing the off-roading and then eat 100% Whole 30 for two days afterward before continuing with reintros.

Also, you need only reintro the food groups you're curious about (in terms of your physical/psychological reaction), or that you want to eat again.

It's not necessarily that I couldn't cleanly reintroduce at the shower (would possibly require eating beforehand)... if it was during the Whole30 I certainly wouldn't consider it one of the events that Melissa describes as "once in a lifetime" worth breaking or restarting a Whole30 for.  The thing is, I committed to a Whole30 and I will stick it through... but I didn't commit to a Whole45.  It's not even about missing food, I'm just sick of being "that person" who isn't eating at events or who has to make 1,000 changes and ask 1,000 questions.  I think that I will take runninglawyer's advice and make that my gluten day.  If I get there and it seems possible to eat 'normally' and have gluten be the only thing I reintroduce, I'll do it.  But if not, I'll off road minimally as Chris suggested, then go 100% clean and move on with my reintros.  I've put in my time of having to explain to people why I can't eat or drink anything.  While I'm perfectly comfortable saying "no thanks, I don't want cake right now" (empowered even!) after the Whole30 I'm no long willing to explain why "sorry, NOTHING you're serving meets my (self-imposed) dietary needs."  

As for reintros... the only things I DON'T want to reintroduce are fake sugar (I used to use A LOT of it, and I don't trust it) and white potatoes (don't really care for them). 

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent advice on saving gluten for today!  At the baby shower, I managed to avoid the alcohol, sweets and cheese!  I had a turkey slider on a wheat roll with cole slaw, green beans and some fresh fruit and veggies.  Not 100% what was in the slaw, but not going to worry about it.  I did have some dairy with dinner (parmesan on my pasta and whipped cream on my chocolate mug cake).  So far, no negative reactions to anything!

So, I want some advice. I will be ending in about 10 days. The only thing that I want to add back is some kind of creamer and sweetener for my coffee. I am not having any problems avoiding either right now and just drink it black, but I will not do that indefinitely. So my question is this, what is the best option for either the sweetener or creamer given that it will be the only thing of either that I add back? I well imagine I will need less of it than before.

My advice - do not binge out on sugar.  I ignored the reintroduction protocol and ate about 5 girl scout cookies for breakfast.  Big mistake.  I've never felt so terrible in my entire life.  The first few hangover days of the whole30 are nothing compared to how terrible I felt after my GS cookie binge.  I'm starting another whole30 in 2 days and I will absolutely follow the protocol to avoid my nausea and headaches from 5 sugary cookies.

So, I want some advice. I will be ending in about 10 days. The only thing that I want to add back is some kind of creamer and sweetener for my coffee. I am not having any problems avoiding either right now and just drink it black, but I will not do that indefinitely. So my question is this, what is the best option for either the sweetener or creamer given that it will be the only thing of either that I add back? I well imagine I will need less of it than before.

Is there a way you could separate them out? If these are truly the only two things you want to reintroduce, you could do creamer without adding back the sugar first, and see how you do.  Go back to Whole30 eating for a couple days, then add the sweetener and see if you're reaction (or lack thereof) is any different.

My advice - do not binge out on sugar.  I ignored the reintroduction protocol and ate about 5 girl scout cookies for breakfast.  Big mistake.  I've never felt so terrible in my entire life.  The first few hangover days of the whole30 are nothing compared to how terrible I felt after my GS cookie binge.  I'm starting another whole30 in 2 days and I will absolutely follow the protocol to avoid my nausea and headaches from 5 sugary cookies.

Please reconsider using the term "binge" for something as inconsequential as 5 girl scout cookies. The struggle of people who truly suffer from eating disorders is undermined when people use terms like this loosely. Thanks a ton. I'm not trying to be mean just raise awareness about something that is actually quite sensitive and serious. 

michelleriffic, thank you - I do have a sweet tooth, it seems like I am satisfying it with the fruits and dried fruits and I find I am not "needing" chocolate.

GF Chris, I can separate the two by several days (though I have to say a latte is the only thing I am actually missing. I never had the negative side effects of switching over, so I never really have gotten to the point of missing something I want.

As for the sweetener and cream, I would like to know what is the best of the bad choices in terms of sweeteners - raw sugar or agave? or it doesn't matter? for creamer is it better to do a full fat organic version (which I would use very little of at a time) or the skim/non fat version?

I think I missed some reading on reintroducing foods. It will be really important especially for my husband who is seeing really dramatic changes, He has high blood pressure which has dramatically dropped to the point where he can take half his dose of medicine. Where can I read about reintroduction?

I bought five boxes of Girl Scout cookies on Saturday.  Probably sounds like a bad idea, post Whole30, but I actually haven't touched them yet, even though my husband opened a couple sleeves.  I just don't want them.  But I've been staying fairly close to Whole30, with the exception of planned reintroductions.  I've had some added sugars, but they've been minimal.  I've been going strong a week post Whole30 with no major off-roading or temptations, but the next couple weeks are full of all sorts of social plans and events and I'm still not confident I've actually changed my ways and will be able to maintain the ultimate goal: healthy moderation!

this is a good thread.  My last day on W30 is this friday and I have my niece's christening on Sunday.  I wasn't sure how to handle the reintro, as the restaurant the lunch will be at is freaking fabulous (eaten there many times pre-W30), but I don't think a single thing on the menu will allow me to isolate just one item for re-intro.  The place is a BYOB because it doesn't  have a liquor license, so I don't there will be wine there (unless my brother and SIL are providing it).

michelleriffic, thank you - I do have a sweet tooth, it seems like I am satisfying it with the fruits and dried fruits and I find I am not "needing" chocolate.

GF Chris, I can separate the two by several days (though I have to say a latte is the only thing I am actually missing. I never had the negative side effects of switching over, so I never really have gotten to the point of missing something I want.

As for the sweetener and cream, I would like to know what is the best of the bad choices in terms of sweeteners - raw sugar or agave? or it doesn't matter? for creamer is it better to do a full fat organic version (which I would use very little of at a time) or the skim/non fat version?

I think I missed some reading on reintroducing foods. It will be really important especially for my husband who is seeing really dramatic changes, He has high blood pressure which has dramatically dropped to the point where he can take half his dose of medicine. Where can I read about reintroduction?

Once you're post Whole30, when eating off-plan foods and riding your own bike, Whole30 doesn't make recommendations on what sweeteners are less healthy or more healthy.  From a Whole30 perspective, there's nothing special, unique or beneficial about sweetener.

For more reading on reintroduction, check out the sample reintroduction schedule. The guidance I would give your husband is to reintroduce those food groups he's either curious about (from a physical/psychological reaction), or that he wants to eat again.

So I finish my first Whole 30 tomorrow and I'm scared to death to start reintroducing things. I know that I have lost weight and am overall less bloated and I'm afraid that when I start reintroducing food I'm just going to gain back all the weight I have lost and am going to be a swollen mess again. I know that it is totally unrealistic to think that I can be Whole 30 compliant for the rest of my life but I'm scared!!!

So I finish my first Whole 30 tomorrow and I'm scared to death to start reintroducing things. I know that I have lost weight and am overall less bloated and I'm afraid that when I start reintroducing food I'm just going to gain back all the weight I have lost and am going to be a swollen mess again. I know that it is totally unrealistic to think that I can be Whole 30 compliant for the rest of my life but I'm scared!!!

These were my thoughts exactly! I was nervous about my reintro, which starts tomorrow. But then I realized that Whole30 is more than a 'diet' - it's an education about how to change your lifestyle. Regardless of how much weight I may or may not have lost, I really feel like I'm more knowledgeable about food in general and I think I can make overall better decisions about my eating habits. Instead of being nervous, be excited about this new challenge!

Archived