Debbie's First W30 (My daughter made me do it!)

Debbie Beck

I'm a 51 year old wife and mother of two who has spent her whole life fighting for a healthy (translation: skinny) body to live in. I always blamed genetics (my dad was mostly a round-shaped man) and psychological barriers (my mother reminded me daily...and pretty much still does...that I could stand to lose a pound or two.) When I started my first "diet" at age 10ish, the internet wasn't even invented yet. Well here I am. Blogging on the internet. Whoda thunk it?

Actually, my daughter made me do it. Her posts are on this Forum also and I've realized it's a pretty productive way to record my W30 experience for future analization. She texted me one day. My daughter. It was an ominous text that struck fear and trembling in me. Did I want to do something crazy, scary and life changing with her. I spent the next few weeks reading ISWF and getting surprisingly excited about the prospect of living in a way that could accomplish that elusive healthy body I've always wanted. I also got pretty angry about all the lies propagated upon me by the commercial food industry. Milk DOESN'T really do a body good? Well that answers a LOT!

We're already over half way through our W30, but I'll start logging my food from yesterday forward.

Day 15

M1: 3 eggs w/sauteed onions & mushrooms in Clarified Butter

M2: porkchop, spaghetti squash, clarified butter

PWO: Handfill of cashews

M3: apple dijon hamburger (1/3lb), grilled onions & Mushrooms in clarified butter

Okay, I ate the first one and couldn't stop thinking about the second one. So I ate it too. Probably too much for one meal. I really considered whether I wanted more food or if I just craved the yumminess. Not sure what the real answer is, but I caved in anyway.

I also decided that nuts may be food without brakes for me. I've always had them on the counter because prior nutrition plans had me eating 6 small meals a day and nuts were my "go to" for a quick snack. When I started the W30 I had a new bag of pistachios (from Costco so it was BIG) and they're gone now. Sure, Hubby and Mother Dearest ate some too, but mostly me. Just can't pass by without grabbing some. I decided the nuts have to live in the pantry from now on.

Day 16

M1: Two eggs with 1C of spaghetti Squash and clarified butter

M2: W30 Chocolate Chili, half sweet potato with clarified butter

M3: Two tilapia filets topped with 1/2 avocado, broccoli, sweet potato

Day 17

M1: Three eggs, asparagus, onion, mushrooms cooked in Coconut Oil

M2: 1 can Albacore Tuna with W30 mayo and 2 handfuls spring mix/spinach

M3: Steak and salad with Balsamic and EVOO

Day 18

M1: Half of one Aidele's Chicken Apple Sausage, Half a sweet potato and 2 eggs cooked up in some Coconut Oil. Noshed on a tsp of Almond Butter while it was cooking.

Got a headache around noon. Haven't been having those lately so no idea what's up with that. Excedrin?

M2:  Last of the W30 Chili over a sweet potato

M3: Mexican Spiced Beef with Salsa on Sweet Potato with Broccoli

Okay, that's a lot of sweet potato for one day. Tomorrow is Produce shopping day so greens will be a welcome addition to my meals.

About 2 hours after dinner, Hubby cut up some apple wedges and we ate them dipped in Almond Butter.

Day 18

M1: Half of one Aidele's Chicken Apple Sausage, Half a sweet potato and 2 eggs cooked up in some Coconut Oil. Noshed on a tsp of Almond Butter while it was cooking.

Got a headache around noon. Haven't been having those lately so no idea what's up with that. Excedrin?

M2:

M3:

That is a tiny breakfast, which could be the cause of your headache.

Do you have a copy of the meal template?  Whole30 recommends 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and the appropriate amount of compliant fat at every meal.

Have the whole sweet potato. Have the whole sausage. 

Make sure you're staying sufficiently hydrated during the day. Drink at least half your body weight in ounces, daily.

Day 19

M1: One whole 6" Sweet Italian Sausage link, 2 Eggs, 1/2 sweet potato, onion, mushrooms, cooked in Coconut Oil. Added some Cashews for more fat.

M2: Sausage and Peppers in homemade tomato sauce over Zoodles. This consisted of 1 whole sausage link, 1 Red Bell Pepper, 2 small Zucchinis, 3 Roma Tomatoes, onions, herbs, olive oil.

Once again, Hubby cut up an apple and I had one slice (1/8 of an apple?) dipped in Almond Butter.

M3: One 6 oz. Hake Loin (this is fish), Zucchini Fritters smothered in Tomato Sauce.
Fat is from cooking the fritters in coconut oil and there's EVOO in the Sauce.

Day 20 ... Can we be 2/3 through already? Waiting for Tiger Blood. Hoping for Tiger Blood!

M1: egg scramble with 2 eggs, 1/2 Aidele's sausage, 1/8 cup leftover Mexican spiced beef, spinach, onion, peppers,

M2: Albacore Tuna on Romaine and Spinach with EVOO and Balsamic. Banana & Strawberries for dessert

Totally caved in and ate some Pistachios before dinner.

M3: Steak, sweet potato baked fries, zucchini fritters with tomato sauce, salad with EVOO & Balsamic

Day 21

M1:  Egg Scramble with 3 eggs, 1/2 Aidele's Sausage, Sweet potato, spinach, onions, peppers. Followed up; with a yummy banana.

M2: tuna, hard boiled egg, w30 mayo, spinach

M3: pan fried chicken thighs, HUGE salad (romaine, spinach, tomatoes, zucchini, peppers, EVOO, Balsamic), Baked Sweet Potato with Clarified Butter

Around 9pm I had Pistachios. Man, those things call to me. 

Woke up with a miserable headache this morning. :(

Day 22

M1: Three Deviled Egg halves (I prefer to call them Stuffed Eggs), 2 Eggs scrambled with spinach, zucchini, peppers.

M2: zucchini fritters, tomato sauce (homemade), 1 1/2 Aidele's chicken apple sausage, pistachios

Stupid headache persists. Going to the gym anyway. Starting to wonder about the caffeine in my iced tea. I usually drink strictly water, but I've been making sun tea lately and I've had about a quart or so each day for a few weeks

M3: Two turkey blueberry patties, three zucchini fritters, salad with EVOO & Balsamic, pistachios

Boo for headaches. The moderators do say it is okay to take medicine when you need it. Meals look good, so I don't think that anything you ate would cause the headache. Are you eating nuts because you're hungry, or just munchy?

Eating nuts because they're so darn yummy. So... Just munchy I guess.

Day 24

Another headache greeted me this morning. Stayed in bed longer than I should have hoping it would pass before I had to face the sunlight.

M1: Egg Scramble with 2 1/2 Eggs, 1/2 Chicken Apple Sausage, Mushrooms, onion, peppers, Sweet Potato

Pistacios, Banana

M2: Tuna, w30 Mayo, Romaine, 1/2 Avocado

PostWO: Small beef patty and half a sweet potato

M3:  Steak, Sweet Potato w/clarified butter, Asparagus

Can't seem to get past that evening snack attack. Around 8:30 I had two strawberries dipped in Almond Butter.

That is a tiny breakfast, which could be the cause of your headache.

Do you have a copy of the meal template?  Whole30 recommends 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and the appropriate amount of compliant fat at every meal.

Have the whole sweet potato. Have the whole sausage. 

Make sure you're staying sufficiently hydrated during the day. Drink at least half your body weight in ounces, daily.

Thanks for the feedback, Chris. I thought 1/2 a sausage was enough added protein when accompanying the two eggs. I can see where more veges could be added. That's always my struggle. It filled a whole dinner plate so it seemed like a big breakfast. Also, I drink a LOT of water. A gallon a day or more.

Thanks for the feedback, Chris. I thought 1/2 a sausage was enough added protein when accompanying the two eggs. I can see where more veges could be added. That's always my struggle. It filled a whole dinner plate so it seemed like a big breakfast. Also, I drink a LOT of water. A gallon a day or more.

The serving size for eggs is the number you can hold in one hand.  If you're going to have another protein, that would be at least a palm size. That's why I suggested upping to the whole sausage, as 1/2 sausage is likely smaller than your palm. 

Since we are eating the same sausage--I feel like 2 1/2 eggs and half a sausage would be sufficient protein. I'm having the whole sausage and 1-1 1/2 eggs. Did your headache go away after bfast? The potassium from the banana may have helped if the headache was muscle related....maybe you should go get a chiropractor back crack and massage...for "health purposes"  ;)

Day 25

M1: My usual: Egg Scramble. Eggs, sweet potato, sausage, mushrooms, onion. Banana

M2: Italian sausage, 1/2 sweet potato, sautéed onion, mushrooms, asparagus. Two strawberries dipped in almond butter

M3: Apple Dijon burger, 1/2 acorn squash, clarified butter, tomato

Day 29
M1: Egg Scramble with egg, sausage, onion, mushrooms, spinach
M2: Tuna, W30 Mayo, spinach, pistachios

PostWO: Small Chicken thigh

M3: baked cod filet, sweet potato w/clarified butter, large salad of spinach, romaine, yellow peppers, tomato, EVOO and balsamic

So here we are facing Day 30 tomorrow. I've been thinking a lot about what changes I've experienced. Still waiting for Tiger Blood. Most days, I'm falling asleep on the couch by 9pm. My alarm goes off at 7am and I rarely can make myself get up until closer to 8. Over the weekend, I felt the STRONG longing for a mid-day nap each day. I'm talking about a 2 HOUR nap.  Often my mind is not thinking clearly. Today I couldn't think of the word "insulin". I was desperately trying to explain W30 and Paleo to my boss (who is newly Vegan) and I felt like an idiot because I just couldn't articulate what I've been living for 29 days already.

I'm never hungry. Even when it's time for another meal, I'm just not hungry. I eat anyway. Even if I still feel full from the last meal (which is often the case). I'm not snacking much to speak of (see the diary above). And when I do, it's not because I'm hungry, it's because I just have the straight up munchies. (Boredom?) My "snacks" are within the W30 food list.

My digestion has been MUCH less regular than before W30. Previously, I'd have a BM each morning within an hour of getting up. Now, this varies from 0-4 per day at varying times and varying levels of solid vs. loose.

I do feel like I've lost weight but I have hidden the scale until Day 31. After all, this isn't supposed to be a weight loss diet, right?

Trying not to feel discouraged because I can't really say anything is wrong or that this nutrition has failed me. I do like getting to eat sweet potatoes, butter (Ghee, clarified), Starchy veges like Acorn Squash, EVOO Salad dressings, and lots of meat. I'm disappointed that I don't seem to have this boundless energy and clear head that I expected.

I'm going back to read ISWF from the beginning again. Hoping I'll pick up on more things now that I've been living in this forum for a month. For now, I'm just planning my reintro phase starting Thursday.

I'm sorry you are feeling disappointed with your results. I would truly like to help. Could you give us some further context on what your diet was like prior to W30? Are you drinking enough water? How frequently are you eating starchy vegetables and how much variety are you getting? What is your overall stress level like? What is your ratio of cooked vegetables to raw vegetables? Do you feel you are following the minimum of the template at all 3 meals? What is your activity level?

If is possible you just need more time...but I suspect you might also need some tweeks. It is also possible that there might be something else going on that food alone can't heal. Have you had adrenal function tested? 11 hours of sleep every night suggests something else is also going on.

I'm sorry you are feeling disappointed with your results. I would truly like to help. Could you give us some further context on what your diet was like prior to W30? Are you drinking enough water? How frequently are you eating starchy vegetables and how much variety are you getting? What is your overall stress level like? What is your ratio of cooked vegetables to raw vegetables? Do you feel you are following the minimum of the template at all 3 meals? What is your activity level?

If is possible you just need more time...but I suspect you might also need some tweeks. It is also possible that there might be something else going on that food alone can't heal. Have you had adrenal function tested? 11 hours of sleep every night suggests something else is also going on.

To answer your questions:

My diet before W30? I'm always "on a diet". I always ate 3 meals a day with 2 snacks (usually Almonds or a protein bar).  Breakfast was typically Greek Yogurt and cottage cheese, or 1 egg plus two whites with fruit or oatmeal with brown sugar. Lunch was typically baked fish or a pita topped with pesto, spinach and mozzarella cheese or a can of Progresso Light Soup.  Dinner was typically a protein of some kind with a side vege and salad.  I avoided starchy vegetables and white flour/sugar carbs.  I did indulge in Costco Pizza once every week or two.  If there was a social occasion/celebration, I would always have the cake/brownies/treat that was offered.

Do I drink enough water?  I drink at least a gallon a day and have done so for many years.  I don't drink Coffee, soda, alcohol. Occasionally I have unsweetened iced tea brewed from teabags.

Starchy Vegetables and variety on W30? I have a sweet potato at least once a day and I've had acorn squash and Spaghetti Squash a few times as well. My vegetable variety has been onions, peppers, spinach, romaine, spring mix, zucchini, squash, white and orange sweet potatoes, asparagus, broccoli, egg plant, tomatoes, crimini mushrooms.

Cooked vs Raw veges?  Probably 85% Cooked, 15% raw

Following minimum template? I am absolutely eating at least the minimum from the food template at each meal. I think at first I was eating more than minimum but by Day 15 I realized that I'm just not hungry when it's meal time again so I started keeping my proteins to one palm full.  

Stress Level? Minimal.

Activity level? Very active.  I average 5 days a week at the gym. From March through December 2013, I had been working with a trainer twice a week but my contract ran out and now I'm working out on my own. 

My food diary in this forum is quite thorough so I hope it gives you a good idea of what I'm eating. I appreciate your thoughts and input.

Day 30

Woke up this morning with another headache. I have struggled with periodic headaches prior to W30 and I've had a few during W30 as well.

By mid morning, I had a VERY loose BM and rather annoying stomach cramps.

M1: typical egg scramble: eggs, sausage, onions, mushrooms, spinach

My morning headache escalated to a full blown migraine by noon. Went home to lay down in a dark place with ice on my head.

M2: Lara Bar (emergency meal since I would likely throw up if I ate anything heavier)

M3: roasted chicken thigh, sweet potato w/clarified butter, roasted asparagus

A couple of thoughts based on your feedback. If you were chronically cutting calories before your W30 it may take longer to see energy improvements as your body trusts that you are going to continue to give it enough food. I'm not seeing pre/post workout meals in your log. A lot of people find better results when they have some lean protein and starchy vegetables right after their workout. 

The digestive issues I'm less versed on. You might try tracking them along with your food in a notebook for a few weeks to see if you can find connections. 

Archived