Nervously diving in...

NapaMom

Don't have time to write much now, today is Day 1 of Whole 30. I have had many, many "Day 1s" before, though none official (never joined forum, for example). Life-long overeater, just enough to hover right at that upper threshold of "normal" weight most of my life. I chose today to start because the 30 days will end on my 40th birthday, and I'd like to start my 40s feeling fantastic.

Quick log:

Bfast: 1 large chicken sausage, 2 eggs fried in chicken fat; 1 green smoothie with spinach, cucumber, parsley, ginger, lemon, coconut water

Lunch:chicken salad (roast chicken, home made paleo mayo, iceberg lettuce)

Snacks: 2 spoonfuls almond butter, 2 spoonfuls coconut butter

Drinks: green tea, chai tea, decaf (black), lemon water

Not really hungry for dinner, will likely skip, though I'm making my family a paleo hash: chicken sasuage (removed from casing and crumbled) with frozen veggies and browned brussels sprouts, all cooked in chicken fat with spices.

I sortof hate being weird and legalistic about food (one of "those" people), but, I know how much better this way of eating makes me feel, so here goes...

Welcome!

As you begin your Whole30, I'd like to share some tips to get you started on the best track.

- smoothies are discouraged on a Whole30. The idea is to chew your food vs. drink it, as chewing is more satiating.

- snacks, if needed, are recommended to be a mini meal containing a protein and fat. Nuts are a fat source on a Whole30. 

Followup day 1: had the dinner I made the fam, paleo hash with an egg fried on top. Yum. After an early morning yoga session and an afternoon 5-mile run, I am beat. Bed by 9 tonight.

Thanks for the advice gfchris. I will likely still choose the green smoothie from time to time, tho not daily. No fruit sugar in mine and such a good way to incorporate healthy ingredients like ginger and parsley. Typically when I first start back on a paleo plan I snack more than I need, to assure myself there is no deprivation, but I know from experience the snacking will naturally taper down. That's one of the reasons I'm doing this--eating paleo typically gets me off the eat-all-day train. Maybe my beloved almond butter will just be part of my meals in future. (Seems like both a protein and a fat to me. No matter, I know if I get super legalistic I will drive myself crazy and end up throwing in the towel!) That's my crazytrain cycle: eat clean for a few days, then decide I want to be someone who can just normally eat everything in moderation, so I eat everything, maybe moderately for a few days, but sooner or later I'm in binge mode, then I go paleo again in an attempt to get my eating under control. It's a roller coaster. Sigh. How I hate having food issues...I'm ready for a permanent change and a calmer, more fulfilling life without the food/weight obsession!

Archived