Egg & Seafood Suggestions

atucker

Hi everyone! My husband and I are getting ready to start our Whole 30. He will eat literally anything, but I feel the same way about eggs and seafood as many people do about vegetables. I realize you could make it through this without eggs and fish, but I'm willing to try...and it sure would be nice to find ways I like them in order to have more variety!

Does anyone have any suggestions on "learning to like" eggs? What types of fish should I experiment with first? I know it's going to be a trial-and-error thing, but if anyone else has conquered a dislike of eggs or seafood I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Amy

I don't eat fish, but I do eat eggs. I don't love them.

But I've found that adding veggies/spices and or meat that I love makes me enjoy them. I make egg "muffins" a lot. It's basically scrambled eggs with my favorite veggies added and baked in the oven in muffin cups, sort of like a crustless quiche. They are easy to warm up in the morning. Also if you love breakfast sausage, there are a few Paleo recipes for Scotch eggs. Eggs baked in avocado halves look good but I haven't tried them yet. A very thin plain egg omelet can be used like a tortilla or a crepe. Some folks add fruit and cinnamon to scrambled eggs and love them, so eggs with cinnamon apples are my next experiment. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Good luck!

There is an amazing recipe that The Urban Poser has posted called "Vietnamese Fried Rice". It uses eggs (hardly noticeable), shrimp & sausage in the recipe. The "rice" is actually shredded cauliflower and this stuff is like CRACK. I can't stop eating it!

If you're interested, go to www.theurbanposer.com and look for her recipe. I think you won't mind incorporating the eggs and shrimp. P.S. - She also has a great facebook page. Enjoy the discoveries!

It's going to depend a lot on what kinds of food you like. Do you enjoy spice, Mexican food, Thai? Do you prefer simple foods with minimal seasoning? What flavors do you enjoy now? Are you adventurous or a cautious eater?

I'm a spice lover, so anything with enough garlic, ginger and hot peppers makes me happy. Others I know cringe at that. You might take a look at the resources at http://whole9life.com/resources/ under the heading Whole30 Food, Grocery Shopping and Recipes. Lots of photos on the recipe pages - see what looks appealing.

I used to hate all forms of seafood and I have come to love it. Have you ever tried sea scallops? They are not fishy at ALL! You can cook them in some oil on the stove in just a few minutes.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/seared-scallops-recipe/index.html

Just use coconut oil or ghee instead of butter. They are very good.

I also love tilapia, I think it is a really popular fish, it has a very mild taste. I think because it is so popular a lot of it is farm raised, so you will have to work a little harder finding wild caught tilapia. I think Salmon is super yummy and not terribly fishy, just brush with some oil, S&P and grill or bake it until it's done. (Google some recipes).

Swordfish is absolutely amazing and actually tastes a lot like steak. It's a bit more expensive but sooooo good. There's a steak house around here that has pecan encrusted swordfish, if you could find a recipe to encrust it with pecans or macadamia nuts it would be super worth it!

Grouper is also really good. I like Cod, but it definitely has more of a fishy smell when you cook it. I haven't yet had trout but I hear it's amazing. Definitely start with tilapia and some scallops!

Archived