Take Two: Lady M's second Whole 30

LadyM

Enjoy your weekend, M!  Bathing costume sounds so quaint.  Love it!  I love your kombucha in a flute idea.  I have kombucha right when I get home, too, while I make dinner.  I should pour it into a nice glass!

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Day 85 (YES!)

M1 prosciutto, better butter scrambled eggs, handful merguez meatballs, green tea, 8
M2 crudités w baba ghanoush, mashed cauliflower and brisket, flute of booch, 1
M3 GF sliders w avo, bacon, red onion, tomato, flute of booch, 6

Had a lovely time last night at the lakeshore with BFF. He rode his motorcycle and I drove his car packed to the gills. We mingled a bit, got set up, and went out to dinner with friends then turned in early because we were knackered. I am so pleased that I stayed compliant. I really wanted to make it 85 days! And so here I am solidly on Day 85. He gave me a little shit about not drinking and not joining in on dessert, a pleasure-moan-worthy chocolate coconut cake (one of my faves), but nothing I couldn't handle. :rolleyes:

Now I'm home again to give BFF some time with his new man and for me to go to yoga and have a little down time before the party heats up Sunday. I'm still undecided about drinking and off roading. Thought about stopping at my favorite ice cream shop on the way back to the resort Sunday, but I'd only be doing it because I could. And that just doesn't seem like good enough reason. I don't crave or desire anything that I don't already eat or drink, so why bother?

I asked BFF if he thinks I really need cocktails and he said, no, you don't need cocktails. You're fun without them. Maybe just a little bit more fun with cocktails. He does, however, think that too much "cleansing" is hard on the body. Of course, he says this while chain smoking and still recovering from a gall bladder attack. So, I love him, and I can recognize his point of view for what it is. :huh:

• Moderators

Moment of clarity I need to share before I forget:

So, what I consider the best restaurant in the state is near our Memorial Day getaway. I have only eaten there once, and it was on my 36th birthday. Very special, indeed. It's a seasonal, locally sourced, farm to table joint that makes heavenly everything, from fancy creative cocktails to fresh gelato and everything in between. BFF, though he's much more of a low brow guy, said he wanted to go, and I discovered they offer a Sunday brunch. So, we're planning to go tomorrow morning. I can't think of a better, more appropriate for me, way to end my Whole 85. It will be truly special and worth savoring every bite. Which brings me to my moment of clarity.

Savor.

What if how we eat determines pleasure and health nearly as much as what we eat? I have a French student in my food and travel writing class this term and she keeps reminding us of this. Most recently during a discussion about Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma. And today it sunk in on a slightly different level for me.

Thanks especially to Bethany and Nadia, I've really been grappling with how I shall move forward with alcohol in my life post Whole 85, and I think I've stumbled on a key to this conundrum for me. The thought of drinking to get drunk is pretty much appalling to me, and the thought of never drinking again simply because I've made that a permanent restriction is almost as distasteful. So I've been seeking a middle way, and I think this is it: if I can truly savor an alcoholic beverage, I will indulge infrequently--and this is where the once a week max restriction may be very helpful, especially as the summer season is upon us. So, a delicious quality glass or two of wine with a special meal is a green light, and so is a fancy brunch cocktail to accompany a memorable meal to celebrate the end of my w85 and the beginning of a w9 lifestyle. A shitty glass of cheap sparkling wine with bad wedding cake at my cousin's wedding in a week is a red light, as is a night of drinking local micro brew at a Biergarten because everyone else is. These are unenjoyable activities for me that are not about savoring anything.

So, my new approach and theory requires a test drive, but I'm feeling pretty good about this.

• Moderators

Day 86

M1 meat quiche, green tea, 8

M2 mashed cauli, parsnip, rutabaga; brisket, kraut, 1:15

Mini M3 gf beef sliders, 6

Mini M4 burger bites, swpot fries, 10

Mini M5 couple merguez meatballs, carrots, coconut water, 1 am

After spending a little time with the brunch menu and having a couple friends decline the invitation, I lost my enthusiasm for the endeavor. This was a good thing since I got a text from BFF this morning saying they needed an early breakfast. Meal timing with other folks is almost always an issue in groups. I'm OK with it. Especially because of the wisdom that arose from the initial desire and also because I experienced what felt like one of those pms-induced body possessions in which my body craved food and more food, especially sweets. So I got into the rx bars after dinner and this morning am feeling less than stellar in the digestive department. :unsure:

I thought about trying to get to the bottom of this behavior, especially because it came on the eve of my intended W85 end, and it smarted of the kind of night-before-WeightWatcherweighin sabotage I used to indulge, but I'm pretty sick of pathologizing myself. I'm just going to chalk it up to my monthly hormonal hungries, and perhaps the fact that I missed my magnesium dose Friday night and therefore craved chocolate. And an unintended effect of that unplanned undignified eating is I have no interest in putting anything else in my belly that might make me feel less than fabulous. In fact, I really just want to sit home, sip tea, and read the New York Times with the promise of a bike ride later.

Ha! Wouldn't it be hilarious if I didn't do any of the things this weekend I've been planning and plotting for months? This is a pattern for me. Train for the half marathon for months and don't run it. But I'll say it again, it's about the process for me, always, so this won't get me down. And things could change in an instant, anyway. Who knows.

Oh, I also wanted to share something my yoga teacher, yet another wise French woman, said yesterday during the class's closing meditation: In honor of Memorial Day, let us individually remember and celebrate the times we chose not to go to war--for the sake of peace, not appeasement--and the extraordinary strength and courage that has required for the betterment of us all.

I love this, and it made me think about how lately I've deliberately chosen to no longer go to war with my body. And how that has affected my life--and the lives of those I come in contact with--immeasurably.

What about you? How have you chosen not to go to war in your life? Can you celebrate that this weekend?

Archived