Pace Mild Salsa

dxander14

the ingredients looks fine but there is some sugar listed in the nutritional information. is the sugar from the tomatoes? just want to know if I have to make it from scratch since my grocery store is seriously lacking in nice looking tomatoes

Many vegetables and all fruits have a little sugar. Tomatoes are quite sugary for a vegetable (because scientifically it's actually a fruit!), so the sugar in the nutrition info is from the tomatoes. Natural fruit sugar is fine on a whole30, just no ADDED sugar, which would be listed in the ingredients list.

• 11 months later...

The mantra "if the list of ingredients doesn't contain non-compliant foods ..." is a little too simplistic in certain cases such as Pace Picante sauce. Although sugar is not listed, the last ingredient is labeled "natural flavoring." Who knows what Campbell's considers to be natural flavoring. Sugar could be a natural flavor.

Does anyone know whether Pace Picante sauce's natural flavoring contains anything that is non-compliant?

• Administrators

The mantra "if the list of ingredients doesn't contain non-compliant foods ..." is a little too simplistic in certain cases such as Pace Picante sauce. Although sugar is not listed, the last ingredient is labeled "natural flavoring." Who knows what Campbell's considers to be natural flavoring. Sugar could be a natural flavor.

Does anyone know whether Pace Picante sauce's natural flavoring contains anything that is non-compliant?

If they use sugar, they have to list it on the label, they can't hide that under "natural flavourings". Natural flavourings can be derived from things that we Whole30-ers might not want to eat and the best way to find that out is to send a quick email to the company and ask. "Natural Flavours" have not been declared non compliant.

UPDATE:

I wrote to Campbell's and asked whether their natural flavoring included sugar. I pasted its response below.

I did not ask about sugar listed in the Nutrition Fact, although Campbell's response included a comment about that as if I had asked. It is helpful information nonetheless.

The amount of sugar in a serving of our foods can be found on the Nutrition Facts panel on the product label. This information can be used to calculate sugar intake. When sugars are neither added nor naturally occurring, this value will be zero. 

We label white table sugar, typically refined from cane or beet sugar, as “sugar.” Other sugar types are labeled by their common or usual name, such brown sugar, molasses, fructose, maltose, glucose, or lactose. 

When sugar naturally occurs in a food or food ingredient – such as fruits, some vegetables, and grains and grain products including rolled oats and pasta – it is not listed separately in the ingredient statement. However, the amount of sugar contributed by that ingredient is included in the sugar value on the Nutrition Facts panel. 

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators
3 hours ago, midsummerznight said:

So, basically, they didn't answer you AT ALL? That's nice.

What do you mean?  They answered the question with good information.  If sugars are naturally occurring, they will appear on the nutrition label.  If there is no added sugar and no naturally occurring sugar, then the nutrition label will read zero.  If you do not see sugar in the ingredient list but DO see it in the nutrition label, then this is from naturally occurring sugar.

Companies may not EVER hide added sugar in any form under 'natural flavor'. There may be sneaky words for sugar, but if it's in there, it's listed.

Is there something more you were unsure about?

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, Chenggeler said:

So is Pace compliant?

Look at the ingredients on the jar you want to buy. I know some varieties of Pace salsa are compliant, but they have multiple varieties, and some products can vary by region, so you really need to be able to determine for yourself if it meets Whole30 rules. If you aren't sure about particular ingredients, try googling Whole30 plus that ingredient, it's probably been asked about before. If there's still something you're not sure about, come back here and ask about the ingredients you're unsure of. 

Archived