• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 10!

It's the first day that hasn't felt like I have SO LONG ahead of me--20% down! After such a horrible Round 1, I'm really pleased to be solidly on-track for my 3x/wk workout schedule, which would have been totally impossible last time. My energy started at a 5/10 and is a fairly consistent 6/10 now. My complexion's still pretty bad but I wouldn't have expected improvement so soon. So yay!

Almost forgot--I ate at a restaurant yesterday. First time trying THAT while being on a Whole30. I was so anxious about how to make a compliant meal out of Tex Mex. I was also mildly concerned about being at the home of my veryveryveryvery favorite margaritas. Arturo's English was not so great and I felt really pushy making him write down Every.Single.Word. but my steak turned out great and the steamed veggies weren't bad either. And I drank my water  :D

M1

-2 Bahn Mi burgers

-sweet potato

-coffee w/ coconut milk

M2

-2 Bahn Mi burgers

-roasted cauliflower

-roasted brussels sprouts (glad to be finishing those off--bleh)

-1/2 avocado

M3

-2 hot chicken drumsticks

-2 Bora bora fireballs

-sweet potato

-sauteed onion & mushroom in olive oil

-crushed pineapple

I hope to do a lot of cooking over the next 3 days. Boyfriend and I are heading to the Ozarks for a much-needed long weekend starting Thursday night and I don't really want to cook much while I'm there. I've been slowly stocking my freezer since Day 1.

I do! It's from the Well Fed 2 cookbook, which I recommend! In a small bowl you put 2 T warm water and 1/2 t cream of tartar. In a big bowl you combine:

-1/4 t baking soda

-1 lb ground pork (I used turkey)

-1 T fish sauce

-1 T hot sauce

-2 cloves minced garlic

-10-12 minced basil leaves (although I just used 1/4 c dried basil)

-4 scallions, sliced thinly

-3/4 t salt

-1 t pepper

Mix it all together, then add the cream of tartar/water to it. Grill!

Day 11

Still really want to weigh myself. Who woulda thought that would be one of the hardest parts?

M1

-4 Bora Bora fireballs

-sauteed mushroom & onion

-steamed broccoli w/ drizzled olive oil

-(slightly later) coffee w/ coconut milk

M2 - I ended up way less hungry than expected.

-curried cream of broccoli soup w/ shredded chicken breast (finished about half)

-sauteed onions & green beans

-roasted sweet potato

-possibly 1 more veggie depending on how I feel

M3

-2 Bora Bora fireballs

-eggplant/tomato casserole

-I cannot for the life of me remember the other veggie

-chamomile tea w/ coconut milk

I need to hurry up and get in 2 workouts by the end of Friday, but tonight's my last night for meal prep and packing for the long weekend. I hate the thought of doing Tae Bo there in the living room, but it looks like I'll have to at least once!

An update on how the stress management is going: I started out using EFT/tapping for work stress: frustration at unproductive meetings, irritation at poor leadership, anxiety about workload, inability to focus, etc. I saw some real benefits.

Last week I began tackling my big issue: chronic illness. I've devoted 3 evenings so far to covering all of the possible symptoms/emotions/notable past events/negative self-talk about this illness, and I'm probably only 10-20% done. I think I can thank EFT and the whole-body support of Whole30 for the benefits I'm seeing so far. My energy levels still seem to have the same "set point" and an evening of cooking still wipes me out. But it's been days since a stressful situation caused the immediate exhaustion I'm so used to. That used to happen at least a couple times per day. Can't wait to see how I feel once I've gotten through all facets of my stress on this issue!

M1

-2 Bora Bora fireballs

-sauteed mushrooms, onion & green beans

-faux-tmeal

-coffee w/ coconut milk

M2

-curried cream of broccoli soup w/ shredded chicken breast

-steamed broccoli

M3

-2 eggs scrambled in chicken breast, spinach, onion & mushrooms

-orange

My only thought for the weekend: It's killing me not to weigh myself. I haven't gone 45 days without checking the scale since I was a kid.  (Yup, that's right. Even though this is my second Whole30.) Encouragement? Tough love?

I just saw this or I would have responded sooner. Hope this is encouraging and tough love. I know you can do it!

Let's say you did weigh yourself (don't...this is hypothetical). Let's say the scale went down...how would that change your current outlook on your health? Let's say the scale went up...how would that change your current outlook on your health. In the grand scheme of things does that number really matter? 

After my W30 I decided to weight myself once a month as I was enjoying the freedom from that once a day scale habit. The habit that could wreck or make my day based on my current relationship with gravity that is influenced by so many things that have nothing to do with my health. Then came a month where I just forgot to weight myself. And I haven't since and I've not blown up and needed bigger clothes...everything still fits. I'm still eating well, sleeping well, and have decent energy. I'm still making improvements in the gym. All without the number on the scale.

Some additional reading for you:

http://everydaypaleo.com/attention-scale-addicts/

http://everydaypaleo.com/attention-scale-addicts-part-2/

http://whole9life.com/2012/03/5-reasons-to-break-up-with-your-scale/

http://whole9life.com/2012/08/new-health-scale/

I need to hurry up and get in 2 workouts by the end of Friday, but tonight's my last night for meal prep and packing for the long weekend. I hate the thought of doing Tae Bo there in the living room, but it looks like I'll have to at least once!

An update on how the stress management is going: I started out using EFT/tapping for work stress: frustration at unproductive meetings, irritation at poor leadership, anxiety about workload, inability to focus, etc. I saw some real benefits.

Last week I began tackling my big issue: chronic illness. I've devoted 3 evenings so far to covering all of the possible symptoms/emotions/notable past events/negative self-talk about this illness, and I'm probably only 10-20% done. I think I can thank EFT and the whole-body support of Whole30 for the benefits I'm seeing so far. My energy levels still seem to have the same "set point" and an evening of cooking still wipes me out. But it's been days since a stressful situation caused the immediate exhaustion I'm so used to. That used to happen at least a couple times per day. Can't wait to see how I feel once I've gotten through all facets of my stress on this issue!

While your exercise goals are not bad...stress management and proper rest are just as important and possibly more important. I'm glad to see you are making good progress on those issues. I would advice you to let go of a workout or two if it is just going to add more stress. This is advice I have to follow myself frequently and am not always good at. Listen to your body and consider whether that workout will make you more or less healthy. 

Let's say you did weigh yourself (don't...this is hypothetical). Let's say the scale went down...how would that change your current outlook on your health? Let's say the scale went up...how would that change your current outlook on your health. In the grand scheme of things does that number really matter? 

After my W30 I decided to weight myself once a month as I was enjoying the freedom from that once a day scale habit. The habit that could wreck or make my day based on my current relationship with gravity that is influenced by so many things that have nothing to do with my health. Then came a month where I just forgot to weight myself. And I haven't since and I've not blown up and needed bigger clothes...everything still fits. I'm still eating well, sleeping well, and have decent energy. I'm still making improvements in the gym. All without the number on the scale.

Honestly, I don't know. A flatter tummy would be NICE but I'm not doing this program for significant weight loss. I might be disheartened to see I'd gained a couple pounds or pleased to see I'd lost a couple, but it wouldn't change my commitment to this program or to making myself healthier overall regardless of that weight. But it's reeeeally scary for me to not know. I guess it's my past eating issues rearing their head. I was about 60 lbs overweight as a teenager and, like many, didn't use the healthiest methods to get the weight off. I don't need to lose weight but the thought of starting down that slippery slope to regaining it is terrifying, and I suppose the scale is the first place I'd be able to identify that trend. Seems like I have a lot to think about...

I'd actually read all of these articles during Round 1 in an attempt to talk myself into following it, but I'll give them all another look. Thanks :-)

I guess my point is that not knowing what the number is doesn't change what it is. If you actually started regaining fat your clothes will be a better indication. When I first started running way back when I gained 10 lbs back but all my clothes fit the same.  The gal in that 2nd scale addict article stayed the same weight but got noticeably leaner. Would you be ok if you gained back weight on the scale but all your clothes still fit?

I guess my point is that not knowing what the number is doesn't change what it is. If you actually started regaining fat your clothes will be a better indication. When I first started running way back when I gained 10 lbs back but all my clothes fit the same.  The gal in that 2nd scale addict article stayed the same weight but got noticeably leaner. Would you be ok if you gained back weight on the scale but all your clothes still fit?

Honestly, I probably wouldn't be okay with that. It's just hard to see how looking at the scale could make a difference. Don't worry, I'm still following the rules--just struggling with them.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't be okay with that. It's just hard to see how looking at the scale could make a difference. Don't worry, I'm still following the rules--just struggling with them.

I know...I'm just trying to encourage you and help you keep your resolve. I hope you don't take what I'm saying as finger wagging. It all comes from a place of wanting to see the best for you and your health. 

Day 13

So I took Physibeth's advice and didn't work out last night. Instead of skipping it altogether, I'm going to give myself a week to make it up. Everyone wins :-)

Since I'm going out of town (!!!) for a long weekend, this is probably my last post for a few days.

M1

-meat crust quiche

-steamed broccoli w/ olive oil

M2

-4 Bora Bora fireballs

-sauteed mushrooms & onions

Day 13

So I took Physibeth's advice and didn't work out last night. Instead of skipping it altogether, I'm going to give myself a week to make it up. Everyone wins :-)

Since I'm going out of town (!!!) for a long weekend, this is probably my last post for a few days.

M1

-meat crust quiche

-steamed broccoli w/ olive oil

M2

-4 Bora Bora fireballs

-sauteed mushrooms & onions

Can you share the link for the meat crust quiche recipe, if one exists? Sounds interesting ...

Sure! Here ya go!

http://paleomg.com/meat-crust-quiche/

You have to scroll down a bit to get to the actual recipe. Also I've tried ground beef and ground turkey and there is a LOT of shrinkage when you first put the crust in. So when I first shape it, I make it go up the sides and over a little bit. It shrinks down to cover only the bottom of the pan (sometimes not even all of that). It's just plain delicious.

Day 17

This weekend was not exactly what I expected. Our friends bailed once we all realized last-minute that Boyfriend's grandpa had decided to come and make use of the condo too. So things were a whole lot more low-key than intended. However, it was still very restful, his grandpa is a nice guy who's fun to talk to, and I'm glad we went. Any away-time is better than none, and I needed it.

So 28 (and a half) days to go! I'm a little behind on exercise and hoping to catch up by getting in 3 or 4 workouts by the end of Friday. With no evening plans this week, I think I can do it. On tonight's schedule is elliptical at my parents' while I take advantage of their laundry facilities  :P

I told myself to hold off any expectations for my complexion for at least 2 weeks of the program, and I'm happy to say that it seems to have calmed down a *little* over the past 2 days. Still a lot of redness and lingering blemishes, but I'm finally not moving in the wrong direction. I forgot to mention at the beginning that I went off of all of my Rx acne stuff mid-February. It was getting too expensive and was really not doing enough to justify the money/effort. To ballpark it, we'll say the clarity of my skin was about a 7/10. At the worst, I went down to 5/10 (which, though quite embarrassing, made me even more convinced that the RetinA, topical antibiotics, ProActive, gels/creams/exfoliators/masks were just not doing much). I'd say I'm a 6/10 now. I'm still exfoliating but really hoping that once given a chance, my skin will learn how to take care of itself. I may also try using coconut oil topically. I've read some stuff online about it being great for acne. I'd be satisfied enough if I could get to an 8/10.

So down to business:

M1

-meat crust quiche

-ginger glazed carrots (really not feeling these, but I troop through)

-coffee w/ coconut milk

M2

-chili

-steamed broccoli

-roasted sweet potato

M3

-3 eggs fried with bell peppers and onion

-way too many grapes b/c ohmygosh they were perfect

M1: meat crust quiche + coffee w/ coconut milk

M2: chili + eggplant/tomato casserole + steamed broccoli

PWO: 1 bahn mi burger patty + 2 fireballs

M3: 4 fireballs + steamed spring veggies + eggplant/tomato casserole

My complexion looks slightly better than just 24 hours ago--yay! I put in 40 min on the elliptical last night. My legs wept when I realized the elevators were out at work this morning. I'm on the top floor. Maybe I could do it midday without too much trouble, but first thing in the morning? Rough.

27 days left! I'm scheduled for a Color Run about a week from the end. Since running is really difficult for me we usually walk these things, although my friends would have no trouble running (they're sweet, right?). It would be amazing if I could run a couple of the Ks!

And HOLY COW I'M EXCITED because I just got the email that I've been matched with Intended Parents for the egg donation process! I meet my case worker tomorrow  :D 

Today's been another great day. Got leads on 2 potential jobs. Tomorrow will be a big day in determining if either possibility goes anywhere. Met my case worker and the process has officially begun, which is also exciting. And I had a great workout: first time in maybe 3 years that I was able to work out for a full hour and not have the BP slump that makes me feel like I'm about to lose consciousness. That means I just need 1 more workout tomorrow or Thursday to be back on track with my 3/week schedule. Woohoo!!

M1: fauxtmeal + coffee w/ coconut milk (forgot to bring protein like a dummy so I was starving by lunchtime)

M2: chili + steamed spring veggies + steamed broccoli + tomato/eggplant casserole

M3: 4 eggs scrambled in onions, squash, spinach

Day 20

44% down! (But who's counting?) This one has already felt so long, so it's somewhat disappointing to know I'm not even halfway through it. Maybe it's because I'd only been OFF of Whole30 for 2 weeks when I started this 2nd one, but I look at the calendar and think, "Only 3 weeks? Surely I've been doing this for 3 months!!" Oh well. This too shall pass. And tonight I'm going to celebrate the lovely weather by feeding the ducks!

M1: 1 HB egg + roasted sweet potato + little bit of coffee w/ coconut milk (I prepared more food but just couldn't do it for some reason.)

M2: 1.5 Bahn Mi burger patties + eggplant/tomato casserole + garlic roasted squash + roasted carrots + chamomile tea w/ a little coconut milk

Snack: hard boiled egg + blackberries

M3: 3 eggs scrambled in squash & onions + chamomile tea w/ coconut milk

No exercise tonight! The abs are so sore from 2 nights ago I can hardly stand up straight. I'll hit the gym tomorrow and be done with my 3rd week of 3 workouts  :D

I've just caught up reading your log and enjoyed it.

I just "finished" my 3rd Whole 30 this Wednesday (pretty spaced out over time since first fall of 2012). I think it was easier this time because from the very beginning, I knew I was going to just keep going after 30 days with the exception of letting myself enjoy some alcohol and the occasional dessert. After my first, I stayed "clean" Paleo through the early holiday season then wandered way off the path. Hardest was my second W30 during the summer of 2013 because it was summer and I missed alcohol while boating/camping, etc. I'm only a once a week kind of girl for drinks anyhow. I actually went 8 years in my 20s without drinking at all because of my Crohn's Disease, so it's not like I can't go without. I just don't like it.

If I may make a suggestion on the scale issue going forward? Take measurements occasionally (not during your W30, before and after, once a month going forward). It might give you the safe feeling of monitoring and recording your weight but without as much as the psychological BS that comes with a scale number.

I weighed myself before this W30, I was pretty spot on for what I expected (the "heaviest" I've ever been, which I already knew when 1/2 my wardrobe wasn't really fitting at all). I also took my measurements and that was not fun to write down and post. When I hit my 30 day mark, I knew that I was on the right course as my clothes were fitting better. I measured myself this morning and decided not to step on the scale. I knew that if the number was too close to where it was when I started I would feel bad and not focus on the progress I had made. I'm a pretty logical person, but that scale can make my brain kind of crazy. So I stepped away from the scale. And today, I've been able to focus on how happy I am with my W30 progress. And it's the kind of happy that makes me want to keep going clean paleo (if not strictly W30 given the dessert/alcohol items) without feeling like it's work.

Oh, and I don't really get the whole Tiger Blood/boundless energy thing. I'm not a really bouncy person at my "best". But I notice that I don't get slumps like when I'm eating the standard american diet. My energy is more even when I'm faced with stress, it just stays on balance I'd say.

Best of luck.

If I may make a suggestion on the scale issue going forward? Take measurements occasionally (not during your W30, before and after, once a month going forward). It might give you the safe feeling of monitoring and recording your weight but without as much as the psychological BS that comes with a scale number.

Oh, and I don't really get the whole Tiger Blood/boundless energy thing. I'm not a really bouncy person at my "best". But I notice that I don't get slumps like when I'm eating the standard american diet. My energy is more even when I'm faced with stress, it just stays on balance I'd say.

Maybe I'll give the measurements a shot afterwards. I really couldn't even estimate what my measurements would be right now.

I think I'm with you on the Tiger Blood. Although I'm 100% open to the possibility, I have an autoimmune disorder and think I need to be realistic about just how much can change in 45 days. There's been improvement this time, energy-wise. Not once during this W30 have I thought "How in the world am I going to make it through this day??" In the not-so-distant past, that would happen at least a couple times a week. So that's great! But there's nothing that feels like a special kind of energy running through my body.

Archived