I have read about it, but I haven't done my own experiment of 1 to know how it affects ME. My hope is that it'll knock me on my ass hard enough that I don't WANT any.

That was my hope when I introduced dairy and sugar.  They didn't :lol:  but I know that both will affect me if I have too much of either--somehow that doesn't stop me from overindulging, hence my second Whole30+, lol. :ph34r:

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After resisting and kicking and screaming, I've finally decided that artifical sweeteners aren't good, period.  I wouldn't feed them to my kids, so I won't feed them to myself.  SO, if I'm going to have sugar, I have real sugar.  Club soda with lime makes a great drink.  As does kombucha.  If I'm having alcohol, it's usually wine or vodka with lemonade or cranberry juice.  On vacaiton, I mixed margarita mix with club soda for a less sweet treat.

I hope your work situation resolves.  That sounds like too much stress!

Club soda with lime makes a great drink.  As does kombucha.  If I'm having alcohol, it's usually wine or vodka with lemonade or cranberry juice.  On vacaiton, I mixed margarita mix with club soda for a less sweet treat.

I hope your work situation resolves.  That sounds like too much stress!

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll give 'em a try. And thanks for the workplace well wishes--I hope so too!

• Moderators

When not on W30 I go for vodka and soda w lime, tequila (even better when infused--a local bar makes a cucumber one and a pineapple one that are lovely) and soda w lime, or sometimes wine on the dry side. No sweet taste to be found. I'm convinced that somehow helps reduce the hangover effects.

Sorry about your stinkin' boss--and your bf's job sitch. That is a lot of stress. SO enjoy your weekend extra!

BTW, I am SO proud of you for hanging in there. Just three days away! WOOOOOT!!

ps--fwiw every health care practitioner I've encountered (traditional and alternative) has emphatically said that if you must make the choice, sugar is better for you than artificial sweeteners. And any hyper sweet taste (artificial being more hyper than regular sugar, btw) has the same effect on the body of spiking insulin levels. So, you're not actually doing yourself any favors in any way by choosing diet coke over real coke. Sermon over! ;)

Day 44 (of 45)

Friends, folks and neighbors, I have nearly arrived. Suddenly the nervousness sets in  :P. 34 hours! The accountability and peer support of this forum has been amazing. I think I'm going to do Reintros forum-free, but I'll pop in on Day 46 for a wrap-up of how everything went. And I think we all know I'll be back for more in a couple months!

This weekend was very nice. Dearest Pie and I went to a carnival, where he devoured a double-decker funnel cake with all the toppings available, and I devoured the people-watching. It's nice how comfortable I've gotten being around even my favorite foods and abstaining. We went to the farmer's market after that. It was late in the day and early in the busy season, so I we were just there to browse. Then some friends joined us out on the deck for a very relaxing evening. All in all the kind of day you look back on nostalgically.

It's a cooking day! Spicy chicken wings, a HUGE pot of chili, shepherd's pie and roasted cauliflower are in my future.

ps--fwiw every health care practitioner I've encountered (traditional and alternative) has emphatically said that if you must make the choice, sugar is better for you than artificial sweeteners. And any hyper sweet taste (artificial being more hyper than regular sugar, btw) has the same effect on the body of spiking insulin levels. So, you're not actually doing yourself any favors in any way by choosing diet coke over real coke. Sermon over! ;)

Yep, I've read all the stuff--even the stuff that casts doubt on the ill effects of artificial sugar--and I know I believe that ingesting chemicals cannot be good for my body. I also know that I will one day soon get to the point where I officially leave fake sugar behind me. So I guess here's my spiel that I hope doesn't come off defensive: I'm not there yet. With my illness, I'm at a point where the list of things I need to avoid is longer than the list of things I don't. And it's not just restricted to food. I need to avoid: staying up (or out) late, being out in the cold (circulation issues in my extremities), being out in the hot (low blood pressure issues), using products with fragrance (which is in a lot more than you'd think--finding an eye makeup remover without fragrance is darn near impossible), situations where I have to stand w/o moving around for more than 15 minutes (think anything with a line--even a busy day at the grocery store), situations with too much stimulation (think concerts or clubs or malls), and the list goes on. And truly, I'm not complaining about any of it. Making those changes has improved my quality of life a lot over the past 3 years. I could cry with joy at how much better I am than when I was at my worst. But I also have to really carefully weigh my self control against the risk of burning out on all the "can't"s. For now, I'm happy enough replacing 4 out of 5 Diet Cokes with flavored club soda, and forgiving myself for that 5th one. I'll get there, though  :)  Sooner than later, I'm sure. Just gotta make sure I don't ask too much of myself at once.

Even though I agree that Diet Coke is pretty bad for you, I think it's good to know your own limits. Last year I felt like I got sooo obsessed with food and eating and logging and thinking and talking about food and what I can and can't and the *pressure to be perfect* that I just completely burned myself out. I was just like I gotta live my life, man!

Of course I did way better all around at life when I was eating well, but I pushed my inner rebel too far and she had to make herself heard. It started with sweet potato chips, then a few bag of regular (if organic) kettle chips that I would dip in my CO paleo mayo. (Don't try this at home. Addictive.)

Eventually I was eating cronuts and Chinese take out egg rolls bc WTF and them my psoriasis flared up worse than ever and here I am.

I do agree with the danger of the hyper sweetness of the diet coke though. It's really nice to be able to enjoy fruit as a rare treat.

But, yeah, you have to know your own limits.

And who does make fragrance free eye makeup?

Your log is really inspirational to me, and I just wanted to chime in on the eye make-up remover front. Have you tried coconut oil or olive oil? Both make a great make-up remover. I just take a little, rub it onto my eye area, and then wipe away with a clean washcloth damp with warm water. I don't have the same fragrance sensitivity that you do and do have standard eye make-up removers on my vanity, but I keep reaching for my oil all the same.

I have also read that the eye area is not as sensitive as we may think, and using your gentle cleanser to take off your eye make-up can be just fine, but I think that's largely individual.

I haven't posted much on your log but I have been somewhat following it.  Since you are close to the end I wanted to just say how great I think you've done.  It's been a pleasure reading your posts.  I plan to do another Whole30 in a few months too and yours will be one of the usernames I look for.

I haven't posted much on your log but I have been somewhat following it.  Since you are close to the end I wanted to just say how great I think you've done.  It's been a pleasure reading your posts.  I plan to do another Whole30 in a few months too and yours will be one of the usernames I look for.

Thanks so much for your other post! It's awesome to know people have been following along, just as I've been keeping up with everyone else's progress. I'll be looking for you when I return!

Even though I agree that Diet Coke is pretty bad for you, I think it's good to know your own limits. Last year I felt like I got sooo obsessed with food and eating and logging and thinking and talking about food and what I can and can't and the *pressure to be perfect* that I just completely burned myself out. I was just like I gotta live my life, man!

Of course I did way better all around at life when I was eating well, but I pushed my inner rebel too far and she had to make herself heard. It started with sweet potato chips, then a few bag of regular (if organic) kettle chips that I would dip in my CO paleo mayo. (Don't try this at home. Addictive.)

Eventually I was eating cronuts and Chinese take out egg rolls bc WTF and them my psoriasis flared up worse than ever and here I am.

I do agree with the danger of the hyper sweetness of the diet coke though. It's really nice to be able to enjoy fruit as a rare treat.

But, yeah, you have to know your own limits.

And who does make fragrance free eye makeup?

Coconut oil all the way. There are a couple actual makeup remover brands that are fragrance free (Boots, Elf) but they're usually a lot harder to find.

Yep, that's the burnout I know I'm already toying with. It wasn't originally the plan but I've spent 2.5 of the past 3 months Whole30-ing. I'm really glad I did it because clearly I just needed more time than those first 30 (torturous) days. But it's been a lot. I've got that same inner rebel and I wouldn't want to give her another large-scale "No" quite yet. I'm onto her ways.

• Moderators

Me, too, Beets. That's why I had to take a break for nearly a year and come back with a new attitude. Seems we're on the same page about this!

I could cry with joy at how much better I am than when I was at my worst. But I also have to really carefully weigh my self control against the risk of burning out on all the "can't"s. For now, I'm happy enough replacing 4 out of 5 Diet Cokes with flavored club soda, and forgiving myself for that 5th one. I'll get there, though  :)  Sooner than later, I'm sure. Just gotta make sure I don't ask too much of myself at once.

I hear you, Sister, and like I've said before, it's your ride!

For me this has been a several years process, and--and I hope this doesn't come across as haughty, because that's not how I mean it--in time and experimentation and acceptance I've been able to shift my mindset from scarcity to abundance. I simply don't see it as what I "can't" have anymore (and I fully acknowledge that our health situations are different); I view my choices as what will best support my whole self in any given situation.

Sounds like for you a diet coke now and again might be the very definition of best supporting your whole self. But my point is that if you're going to allow yourself to have something you know isn't the best for your health because you want it and it serves you in some other way, you might as well have a real coke, which in my book is far more delicious and satisfying than a diet coke. But that's just me. For all I know, maybe you actually prefer the taste of diet coke!

I also just want to say, in support and in solidarity, that I have been very very sick--albeit in different ways from you (cancer and the wretched aftermath of chemo and radiation to start)--and that with persistence, W30, my functional medicine doc, some wonderful trainers, and my really excellent therapist, I am healthier and stronger than I've ever been . . . and I am solidly on the path to getting even healthier and stronger than I am now. Bottom line: you will, too, because you already are well on your way!

Me, too, Beets. That's why I had to take a break for nearly a year and come back with a new attitude. Seems we're on the same page about this!

I hear you, Sister, and like I've said before, it's your ride!

For me this has been a several years process, and--and I hope this doesn't come across as haughty, because that's not how I mean it--in time and experimentation and acceptance I've been able to shift my mindset from scarcity to abundance. I simply don't see it as what I "can't" have anymore (and I fully acknowledge that our health situations are different); I view my choices as what will best support my whole self in any given situation.

Sounds like for you a diet coke now and again might be the very definition of best supporting your whole self. But my point is that if you're going to allow yourself to have something you know isn't the best for your health because you want it and it serves you in some other way, you might as well have a real coke, which in my book is far more delicious and satisfying than a diet coke. But that's just me. For all I know, maybe you actually prefer the taste of diet coke!

I also just want to say, in support and in solidarity, that I have been very very sick--albeit in different ways from you (cancer and the wretched aftermath of chemo and radiation to start)--and that with persistence, W30, my functional medicine doc, some wonderful trainers, and my really excellent therapist, I am healthier and stronger than I've ever been . . . and I am solidly on the path to getting even healthier and stronger than I am now. Bottom line: you will, too, because you already are well on your way!

Believe it or not, I DO prefer the taste of Diet Coke. Real Coke doesn't do a thing for me. What you said about the scarcity vs. abundance mindset is exactly what I aim for, which is also why I'm so aware of how much pushing is too much. I'm satisfied with my current choices, and I know that more of an adjustment period is necessary before saying goodbye to another favorite. It took me 3 years to successfully break my dependence on grains and sugar. I figure if I could do that, I can do anything as long as I give myself the time.

Hooray for being on the right track! I'm glad yours has gone so well. Your determined positivity has been very very motivating as I've struggled with the mental demons this round. The encouragement and tough love is always much appreciated.

Day 45 (of 45)

THIS IS IT! I'm resisting the urge to call it close enough right now--I know, I would NEVER do it after putting in all this work, but it's a tempting idea nonetheless. I'm excited to be able to say I did it. 2.5 of the past 3 months! I'm feeling less slugglish, my mental clarity is slowly trending upward, mornings are less painful than they used to be...and it's only upward from here!

M1: meat crust quiche + roasted cauliflower + chai tea w/ coconut milk

M2: chili + steamed broccoli + chai tea w/ coconut milk

M3: 2 bora bora fireballs + little bit of chili + peppermint tea w/ coconut milk + steamed broccoli & cauliflower

I think you are doing fantastic! I hear you on wanting to weigh yourself. It's something very hard to get used to if you are used to doing it every day, as I did.

Up to two weeks ago I've weighed myself every single day for the past 12 years. It's actually all pretty silly. I would allow the scale to tell me what I could or could not eat that day. If I liked the number on the screen I would allow myself to have a treat that day. If the number was not acceptable to me, I'd eat super healthy that day, and on occasion skip a meal. It never occurred to me that it was pure insanity. Why not eat healthy all the time?

But yes, I know the habit is hard to break. Not knowing that number is torture.

Archived