What can I premake in batches and be ok

tj2650

Hi,

I bought  a tonne of veggies, what I want to know is what can I roast and freeze and still will taste good both texturally and with flavor upon reheating.

What can only be kept if refrigerated?

Thanks.

TJ

Which veggies are you concerned about?  Maybe we can share some recipes for specific ones.

I have roasted cauliflower ahead and it is still amazing.  I have blanched and frozen sweet potato, green beans, and broccoli and all were fine when I defrosted them.  

I had some Pre-Made Paleo stuff that included roasted root veggies and those defrosted really well, so I coped them at home.  There was even a kale and tomato salad and it was also yummy reheated.  Seems like lots of things freeze and reheat well.

Oh, purees reheat really well, too.  I prefer celery root in mine, often with cauliflower.

You can blanch some veggies, like broccoli, and then leave them in the fridge so you can add them to a stir fry. I also buy frozen veggies so I don't have to cut, blanch or freeze them. I make pot roast or pork roast in my crock pot and then freeze serving sizes either for just me or for my family. I make quick soups by adding veggies and broth, cook for 20 min and then add a splash of coconut milk. Sometimes I poach eggs right in the soup or add pre cooked protein, it's so good. I don't like leftover roast veggies that much but you can cut up all the vegetables and store them in the fridge. When you are ready, toss them in coconut oil, salt and pepper and roast for 45 min to 1 hour. You can roast whole sweet potatoes or yams. I shred my raw sweet potatoes and yams and then store them in the fridge so they are ready to go for meal 1. I make baked spicy chicken wings and store them in the fridge for quick protein to add to meal two. 

Veggie soups will also freeze well.  I have seen recipes for cauliflower, butternut squash, and creamy celery soups and I am sure there are more.

I bought:

Green beans

Asparagus

Kombaca squash

Acorn squash

Spaghetti squash

Carrots

Zucchini

Cauliflower

Oh, and one artichoke. Going to find me some ghee and just steam it and chow down on that!! :)

I wanted to have tonnes so I could just whip something up if I need it.

TJ

Green beans and asparagus can be roasted or steam sauteed and frozen.  I have had good luck with both.

There are probably recipes for roasted the squash or making them into soup and they would also freeze well.

This is a new favorite and it freezes well: http://www.paleofx.com/blog/perfect-paleo-cauliflower

Curried carrots, or roasted carrots, would freeze well.

Zucchini should do well, too.

Oh, and I have made this and frozen it and I prefer it when defrosted and reheated: http://paleomg.com/spaghetti-squash-crusted-quiche/

(The meats, veggies, and spices can all be adapted to taste/availability)

Archived