Fifth times a charm...right? Starting March 3rd

heatherdOT

I have attempted multiple times over the past few weeks to complete a Whole 30. I completed 22 days in January, but broke over many consecutive days of watching people enjoy the food I "couldn't". I made up for those 22 days with pure gluttony. After making myself good and sick, I decided to try again. I would start each week resolving to do better. Each week I would start with little slips...a packet of Stevia in my coffee, a little honey in my tea, latte with soy milk, sweet potato fries as a vegetable, etc. The little slips lead to bigger slips, which lead to falling off entirely. The next week would begin and so would the little slips. Every fall off the wagon would lead to regret and a little self-loathing. I am sick of feeling this way. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired.

I have finally come to terms with how much food controls me. I rely heavily on caffeine and sugar to get me through the day. I have a difficult time saying "no" to pizza, cheese, ice cream, and especially sweet potato fries. My bad eating habits are triggered by stress, lack of sleep, and being around people eating these foods. I understand now that the Whole 30 is more psychological than physical for me. I am ready to try again for real. I have signed up for the emails. I am putting it out there. I haven't asked for help in the past, but I will now. Hopefully the fifth time with be the charm.

I totally understand what you say, because it has happened to me. In fact it happened last week, exactly the way you described it. And before I knew this program, I tried infinite times to "eat clean" and follow a diet, and failed failed failed.... so my weight has changed drastically all my life (I can't control it). 

Anyways, I hope with this program I begin a good relationship with food. The forum seems to be a great help for support. 

Hi Heather. That's great that you have realized that food is psychological for you- that's a step in the right direction!  You may want to read Jon Gabriel's book- The Gabriel Method.  His eating plan is essentially paleo, but what he does is he addressess all the mental reasons our bodies are holding on to fat.  He gives a lot of reasons and examples and one may really hit home with you like it did me, and many others and help your mind heal and help get your mind healthy so that your boday is no longer holding onto fat as a barrier or protection to mental and emotional reasons that may be triggering the fat to stay on. It helped me a ton! I found that book before finding paleo/W30 and when I did do my first W30 last summer, I was mentally read for it. 

Good luck.

Archived