So! I am done. It wasn't perfect, and that's fine. What does that word even mean, anyway?

Here's what I saw that I'm happy about:

1. Improved, more consistent energy throughout the day, with just a few days that were not optimal.

2. Better sleep. I know when I am having crazy dreams, I am processing stuff and getting in the good REM zone, and that's definitely been happening. I just need to work on getting to bed a little earlier.

3. Better mental clarity/focus. I spent less time messing around at work and at home and actually got stuff done like a real adult. This mostly showed up during the last 5 days for me.

4. Better-behaved skin and hair. I have had weird scalp problems my whole life, and now they are gone. Hooray! I also have keratosis pilaris, and that is much improved.

5. I had more gas in the tank during CrossFit metcons.

6. I made it the whole time without eating any smoothies/shakes for breakfast. I'm pretty proud of that. I don't miss cleaning out the blender, that's for sure.

7. My mom and sister are both recovering alcoholics, so it was really important to me to try 30 days with no alcohol. I did have a few days when I *really* wanted that glass of wine, but no way was I going to slip. And it was fine. I'm glad to know that I can do that.

Here's what I will probably reintroduce:

1. Full-fat dairy (Greek yogurt & such)

2. Rice. I enjoy Indian and Lebanese food, and I'm sorry, but cauliflower rice tastes like cauliflower. It just does not work for me. This won't be an all the time thing, but just when I go out, I'm not going to lose my mind over it.

3. Red wine. Mayyyyyyybe a Bell's Oberon once a year, since it's made in my city and all.

4. Regular bacon from my favorite farmer. I believe he uses turbinado sugar in his curing process.

5. Bagels. No, just kidding. My bagel days are over.

Where I screwed up or could just improve in general:

1. Letting myself get too thirsty, and then misreading that signal as hunger,

2. Not being prepared with snacks on an overnight trip.

3. LOTS of fruit and coconut milk. I just really like it. I don't know; I'm a smaller-sized person, so I wasn't really concerned with weight gain, but it could be a) a sweet tooth thing or B) a convenience food thing. I'm going to try this during a winter month when I have less access to fresh fruit and see how that goes.

4. Munching when I get bored, anxious, or annoyed.

I am going to relax about food for a little bit. I'm going to eat some cheese and drink some wine, but I'm going to pay attention. I will keep Whole30 in my toolbox, and try this again in a different season. This forum is great - thanks, all, for your support, ideas and humor! XO

Awesome job! Hope you enjoy your FF Greek yoghurt as much as I'm going to enjoy mine :)

!!! I mis-interpreted this as Fat-free and way like NOOOOOOO, glad I read back :lol:

Well done Amy, great round-up too.

Great job Amy!!! :D How long did it take for your KP to clear up? I have it on my upper arms & it is still the same as it was in June. :angry:

You know what, I actually just noticed it yesterday when I randomly rubbed my arms to warm up from the arctic a/c in my office, and I was like...."heyyyyyy, this feels like different skin!" FWIW, I also avoid soaps with sulfates and use a washcloth rather than a loofah or sponge in the shower, and when I use lotion it's Eucerin "smoothing formula" - I forgot the exact name. So I think all of that is contributing. It's a process, ya know! Lots of experimentation. :)

I was going to try going sulfate-free but then I chickened out for some reason. I use the acne-bodywash that Neutrogena makes for zitty-skin. The alpha-hydroxy is *supposed* to work on KP. And I got a jar of urea cream, I was using it 2 times a day and that was working, I just got out of the habit! So maybe I should switch to sulfate-free and use the urea cream again!

<sorry to threadjack>

Archived