3rd time's the charm- my 3rd Whole 30 attempt begins 3/3

yummymumma

A little about me: I'm a 23 y/o mom to two beautiful girls, 5.5 years and 9 months. The younger is still very much nursing. I was mostly paleo while pregnant and felt amazing, even lost fat, and had incredible health and a very simple, easy delivery. I lost my 15 lbs of pg weight within 2 weeks, but due to falling 'off the wagon' since her delivery and stress-eating my way through perpetual exhaustion with poor food choices mostly ever since, I've gained a lot of fat weight (though I'm only up 3 lbs, I've totally lost my lean-ness.) My goal is to lose 20 lbs by early May, while feeling good and maintaining a decent milk supply.

One of the things I'm being more mindful about is staying away from nuts/nut butters as anything but a snack or addition to a meal, since I have in the past relied on them for their sweetness and overused them. Also, to do this Whole30 I had to give up my morning green protein smoothie (which was very useful in my pregnancy) and do something with eggs or meat or both in the morning, which I am not used to. I don't really see an issue health or diet-wise with the smoothies, but for the sake of doing this thing all-out....

I'm also planning on really lowering carb intake: next to no fruit or starchy veggies. I know this may be controversial with some people, especially because I'm nursing, but I have faith my body will adjust, and I'll add more in if I absolutely have to. Weight loss is a big goal of mine right now, and I will get discouraged if I'm making these changes and not seeing results. I'd like to get into ketosis and burn off this fat before I have to bare skin in spring/summer. It's crunch time!

I'm also adding in yoga (hoping for 3-4x weekly) and will be walking as much as possible outdoors as soon as it warms up. Movement is tough for me right now with the kiddos (I'm a SAHM) and it being SO FREAKING COLD outside. The last time I dragged the girls out for a walk, they were both pretty p.o.'d- it so wasn't worth it. 

Here we go!

Day 1

B (8:30): 2 eggs (I use eggs from my local farm; their hens are pastured when possible/use organic grain) cooked in coconut oil/ghee, with three large crimini mushrooms in there too, plus a side of kim chi and a big mug of ginger/green tea.

S (10:30): Soaked raw almonds with two big celery stalks

(Plans for lunch are leftover chicken sausage chunks (about 1/2 to 3/4 a large sausage) from last night with a fried egg and guacamole, and dinner will likely be pork sausages in coconut oil with onions/peppers/garlic- but I will update!)

Welcome back to the Whole30! I wish you a great amount of success!

As nuts and nut butters are considered a fat source on Whole30 we wouldn't advice them as a snack without some additional protein. Snacks should be mini meals that include protein and fat. 

I know you addressed this but I will state that I'm concerned about your desire to go very low carb while nursing. This can greatly affect your milk supply. Your meals also seem very small to me. Whole30 generally advises nursing mothers to eat 4 meals a day and to stick to the middle/higher end of the food template to ensure you get enough nutrients for both you and the baby. Your current meals don't meet the lower end of the template unless you have tiny hands. 

I know weight loss is important to you but I think focusing on getting the best nutrition for you and your baby will have that result in the end and be much less stress on both of your bodies.

Thank you, Physibeth. I will keep this in mind. I lol'd about the 'tiny hands'. 

In the past I've found great results weight-loss wise if I keep portions (therefore calories) small, and less so if I eat moderately. My body is HANGING on to fat like never before, probably because of the nursing. I nursed my older DD as well, but I'd gained 40 lbs due to eating large amounts of whatever-the-hell-I-wanted, and it was so very easy to lose with fairly minimal effort (low carb I think, watched portion sizes, down 55 lbs within 6 months.) I was hoping it would happen again. However, I 'only' gained 15 lbs this time, and my body has been stockpiling fat since the birth. Though I haven't made it too difficult...

The main thing, though, is to be able to do this long-term. And I know cutting calories too much will lead to good ol' fashioned "omg, I'm so hungry, screw this paleo shit, I'm going to eat ALL THE FOOD." So I will try, try to find the balance.

Day 1

B (8:30): 2 eggs (I use eggs from my local farm; their hens are pastured when possible/use organic grain) cooked in coconut oil/ghee, with three large crimini mushrooms in there too, plus a side of kim chi and a big mug of ginger/green tea.

S (10:30): Soaked raw almonds with two big celery stalks

L (1pm): 2 eggs cooked in coconut oil/ghee with side of kim chi, plus about 3/4 large chicken sausage and a major helping of avocado, topped with 1/4 tbsp nutritional yeast

D (6pm): Organic beef cooked with garlic and ginger, cooked in a little bit of coconut oil, lplus lots of laticino (sp?) kale, over a medium to large yam with ghee, topped with 1 tbsp nutritional yeast

My question: is this too much fat???

Looks fine to me.

When eggs are your protein source, the servings size is the amount of eggs you can hold in one hand. That may be more than 2. 

On your snack: add a protein. The recommended snack is a mini meal containing a protein and fat. Nuts are a fat source.

I woke up this morning feeling kind of weak. OK, very weak. Not sure if this means not enough food or not enough carbs or just adjusting ...also, babe was nursing alllll night. I wasn't hungry in the way I'm used to, which I'm thinking more and more was more blood sugar related than hunger related. But I could feel I needed fuel. 

On the upside, I'm down another pound since Sunday. I'm thinking I should be able to sustain a .5 lb loss per day, which puts my 20 lb loss not too far away!! 

Day Two

B (9am): Three scrambled pastured eggs cooked in a tsp coconut oil + a tsp ghee, plus sauteed mushrooms and kale, with a side of kim chi, topped with nutritional yeast. Oh, and half a grapefruit. 

Will add as day goes on. (Planning on 2 chicken drums over romaine with guac for lunch, and probably pork sausage over sauteed onions/peppers for dinner.)

Please put aside your scale for the duration of the Whole30. That is one of the program rules so that you can focus on the quality of your nutrition and how you feel without being influenced by a number that can fluctuate for lots of reasons.

Please put aside your scale for the duration of the Whole30. That is one of the program rules so that you can focus on the quality of your nutrition and how you feel without being influenced by a number that can fluctuate for lots of reasons.

Hmmm. Interesting!! That would be a challenge in and of itself...

Day Two

B (9am): Three scrambled pastured eggs cooked in a tsp coconut oil + a tsp ghee, plus sauteed mushrooms and kale, with a side of kim chi, topped with nutritional yeast. Oh, and half a grapefruit. 

L (1:30pm): Meat from 2 chicken drums cooked in 1 tsp ghee, plus 2 tsp coconut oil, over 1/2 head romaine, plus home-made dressing (made with 1 tbsp tahini plus garlic and ginger), plus 3 large celery stalks and 15 raw almonds

D (6pm): 1.5 pork sausages with onions and peppers cooked in coconut oil, topped with 3 tsp nutritional yeast, plus big serving guacamole

I also have two young daughters and started attempt 2 of the whole30 on March 3rd.  I also struggle greatly with my scale obsession and prior to the whole30 I weighed in every single day.  Everyday.  Seriously.  I look forward to watching your journey!

Hmmm. Interesting!! That would be a challenge in and of itself...

It's worth it. And again, it's a rule. I put off doing a whole30 because of the scale rule for a couple of months. After my W30 I went back to weighing once a month. And then one month I forgot. And I haven't weighed myself sense. And I'm still feeling good, excelling in the gym, and my clothes still fit. The scale only tells you your current relationship with gravity. It is not the best measure of health. 

These articles were very helpful for me when I was breaking up with my scale:

http://everydaypaleo.com/attention-scale-addicts/

http://everydaypaleo.com/attention-scale-addicts-part-2/

http://whole9life.com/2012/03/5-reasons-to-break-up-with-your-scale/

Yep!  Scale goes away.  This is an attempt to gain healthy eating habits and a healthy, rebooted body.  Now is not the time to focus on weight loss since you are both nursing full time and restricting what you eat.

Nursing uses a tremendous amount of energy.  It is a big responsibility to stay healthy and nourished.

Yep!  Scale goes away.  This is an attempt to gain healthy eating habits and a healthy, rebooted body.  Now is not the time to focus on weight loss since you are both nursing full time and restricting what you eat.

Nursing uses a tremendous amount of energy.  It is a big responsibility to stay healthy and nourished.

While I appreciate the sentiment, I am not willing to completely remove weight-loss from my to-do list. It's not as high as nourishing the babe, but it's up there- it's important to me to feel comfortable in warm weather clothing this year.

As for the scale, sure, I'll play ball  :)  Compared to giving up fudge brownies and cheesy-bread, it should be a piece of cake!! (Sorry, couldn't resist  ;)

Hopefully it is that easy for you to stay off the scale.  For me, it's my biggest struggle.  I crave it like other people crave food.  On my last whole30 attempt the craving started to go away at the end of the first week, so I know I just need to stay strong and give it time.

So today I woke up feeling like total shit (excuse my French.) It could have something to do with not getting into bed til 10:30 and then the baby waking up every 1-2 hours all night to nurse up a storm. I literally felt like I was starving, only I wasn't really hungry- I felt totally weak and almost shaky. I think I need more carbs (and more sleep, but that's another story.)

I am craving sweets and carbs today like crazy. Per usual with lack of sleep. Letting myself off the hook with carbs today in order to stay 'on the wagon'.

Day Three

B (8:30): 1 whole grapefruit, 1 pork sausage minced with a big handful mushrooms and 3 stalks kale sauteed in coconut oil, plus one egg cooked in ghee, topped with 1/4 tbsp nutritional yeast (and a bite or two of kim chee before I decided I didn't want it!)

S (10:30): 1 handful raw soaked almonds + a small bowl organic mixed frozen berries topped with 1 tbsp shredded dried coconut (unsweetened.) (I know I'm supposed to eat a protein with 'snacks' but to be honest, I completely didn't want one.)

Will update...

I think you definitely need to eat more carbs today. Try to do it with more starchy vegetables. You've had 2 fruit servings. Fruit gets used more quickly for energy by the body while the starchy vegetables will have more sticking power. If you can find some time to nap today that would help a lot too. Hang in there mamma!

BTW--  I wouldn't worry so much about carbs when breastfeeding...   doing the Whole30 itself along with breastfeeding should do the trick for you.  Most lose weight anyway when breastfeeding, ESPPECIALLY if they are eating and drinking healthy.  And breastfeeding really drains you of energy- all the more reason for healthy carbs.  Just sayin'    Best wishes!

Archived