Snacks bad? good? depends?

Hunger in between meals can be an indication that your earlier meals need to be bigger. The idea is to create meals that satiate you for 4-5 hours.

The Whole30 recommended meal template is 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and the appropriate amount of compliant fat per meal. Play around with each of those portions until your meals keep you satisfied for 4-5 hours. 

In the meantime, if you're genuinely hungry in between meals (hungry = you could eat steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini meal that includes a protein and fat. Nuts are a fat source on a Whole30.

I have found on this W30 journey, that my first meal, to be frank, needs to be gigantic.  LOL  I need to eat a bigger meal at breakfast than I do at the other two meals for the rest of the day to stave off hunger before lunch.  The times I got stuck in the beginning and was at work, I had to resort to hard boiled eggs and natural whole almonds as a snack because nothing else in the work building was compliant.  It took me a few days to figure out I need a very large breakfast to keep me satiated. I have also found that eating leftovers for breakfast (rather than pack for lunch) made more sense for me in terms of keeping me satisfied without the urge to snack.  Since I don't pack my leftover dinner for lunch, I do find that I'm making a separate lunch at night (which kinda sucks), but its the only way for me to avoid eating the same meal 3 times in a row (dinner, breakfast, lunch). For lunch, I primarily stick to a chicken or tuna salad and then a green salad for side, so they are easy lunches to prepare.

I've also found I like ground beef in the mornings better than any other time of day.  Odd, I know, but something about ground beef and mashed cauliflowr in the morning makes total sense to me now.  haha

Archived