Jump to content

the Freemans go Whole 30


Recommended Posts

Yesterday was Day 1. Day 1 of 30. The Whole 30. The Golfer and I are doing the program together. Late last summer, I attempted to go Paleo (animal and vegetable only diet.) Needless to say, I didn't last very long. By September, I had chucked my new friend Paleo out the window in favor of a good margarita and some chocolate cake.

For the last 6 months I've been saying, "As soon as the move it over I'm going to get back on track." Well, the move was over several weeks ago and I still hadn't gotten back on that track.  Then I had lunch with a friend who told me that she was on Day 23 of the Whole 30. She told me all about the program and how she has never felt better in her life. She told me about having energy all day, even in the afternoon when the kids came home. She told me that she sleeps soundly every night and that she's lost 14 pounds in the process.

She had me at having never felt better.

I had heard of the Whole 30 program when I started going paleo. I came home after lunch, did a little research, bought the book It Starts with Food on my Kindle, and told the Golfer what we were getting ready to do. Yes, if I was doing this, I needed him to do it with me. I knew I would need the support and it would be easier for him to understand if he was going through it too. He was on board without reading a single page of guidelines. This is what we do. I do the research, he does what I tell him to do. This pretty much sums up our marriage.

Back to Day 1. We woke up excited to start the program and made a yummy breakfast:

  • scrambled eggs
  • chicken sausage
  • chamomile tea

Was a bummer not having my glass of OJ. I've been drinking OJ with breakfast my ENTIRE life. Also skipped my coffee because it's usually filled with sugar-free creamer and a Splenda.

So far...so good.

10 AM: I was headed off to Whole Foods with my long grocery list in hand made from guidelines and recipes from Practical Paleo, the Nom Nom Paleo app, and It Starts with Food. $350 bucks later (glup) I left Whole Foods hungry, a little lethargic, and irritated that I had just spent so much on groceries that would probably only last me through the week. This program isn't for wussies, on multiple levels, including your grocery bill.

12 PM: Lunch was some leftover beef and vegetable soup, minus the red potatoes. Was hard not having crackers or some other kind of bread to go with it. Didn't feel very satisfied when I reached the bottom of the bowl.

So far...I was not loving this.

2 PM: I was hungry. Legitimately hungry. So was the Golfer. And we were both HIGHLY irritable. Yes, we were getting hangry. Had seen a recipe for bacon wrapped pineapple, and since I happened to have both I quickly made them. They were a yummy lifesaving treat.

4 PM: I was hungry again. I grabbed some pistachios. I eat a handful and start to feel lightheaded. It was weird. I drank some water and felt fine. My body wasn't digging this. I could tell.

6 PM: We were starving so I made dinner quickly. Dinner was some chicken stir fry. Nothing fancy. Nothing especially delicious. No soy sauce allowed. Boring and unsatisfying...again. This wasn't good. The Golfer, who is used to his evening glass of red wine, just looked at me with sad eyes. This wasn't going as well as I had hoped for the first day. Wasn't the first day supposed to be easy? Weren't we supposed to be on some kind of Whole 30 high? Wasn't the excitement supposed to last for more than 12 hours? The Golfer was looking at me with eyes that said, "What the HELL have you gotten us into?!?"

So far...I was hating life.

9 PM: By bedtime I had a full blown headache. An entire day of no caffeine and no sugar had finally taken it's toll. Was able to go to sleep quickly, but woke up in the middle of the night with a full-blown migraine.

My immediate emotion? Anger.

Anger? Yes, anger. Angry that my body was already having such serious withdrawals that I was in physical pain (it was the kind of headache that made you sick to your stomach.) Angry that I still had 29 days of this left. The Golfer? He's fine. No issues. Was sleeping soundly. Clearly I'm the only one completely dependent on sugar and caffeine to survive. Shocker.


Today is Day 2.


So far...we'll see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites



A couple things:
- check your sausage and bacon to ensure both are compliant: no sugar, gluten, soy or other nasties


- if you were that hungry, it's usually a sign that your earlier meals need to be bigger.  Look to the Whole30 recommended meal template, which advises 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and the appropriate amount of compliant fat per meal.  Play with your portion sizes so that your meals satiate you for 4-5 hours.


- in the meantime, if you're genuinely hungry in between meals (hungry = you could eat steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini-meal that includes a protein and fat. Nuts are a fat source on a Whole30.

Finally, your meals don't have to be boring and tasteless. There are many flavorful, compliant meals available from the following sites:



Link to comment
Share on other sites



Such good advice. Yes, my meals were too small yesterday. No question about it. Had planned and shopped, but hadn't done enough prep work in the kitchen. Was more prepared today after doing lots of cooking yesterday afternoon.


This program will be a change for me in so many ways, which includes cooking. I've always been a cook, but nowhere near a "clean" cook. Meal by meal I will figure it out and become better at it. This I know for sure.


Thanks again for the helpful advice!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Day 1: This is gonna suck.


Didn't eat nearly enough. Was hungry all day. Also, didn't have any caffeine Day 1 which was a big mistake. Finally got some coconut milk to put in my coffee which has been a lifesaver.

Day 2: Okay, this isn't so terrible.


Took the time to plan out my meals for the day which made ALL of the difference. Ate a full plate of meat and veggies at every meal. Also received lots of support today from friends which mentally and emotionally helped as well.

Day 3: I can do this! I'm tired and have zero energy, but I CAN do this!


Today is good. I'm not craving sugar and carbs like I was the last two days. I'm not diluted enough to believe those cravings are gone forever, but just craving them LESS for now is making all of the difference in my attitude and determination to not give up!


Continuing to read ISWF which is making a huge difference. I am learning exactly WHY all of these foods are bad for me, about all of the damage they are causing, which is a great incentive to stay away from them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Took the time to plan out my meals for the day which made ALL of the difference. Ate a full plate of meat and veggies at every meal. Also received lots of support today from friends which mentally and emotionally helped as well.


Half the battle, right? This is round 2 for me, and I spent ALLLLLL weekend stocking my fridge and freezer with meals so I'm ready in case several days of exhaustion get me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...