Uh-Oh, Whole30 ends same week as Marathon

Ok, I have a small potential issue. My last day of whole30 is next Monday (March 10th) woohoo, so close. I'm running a marathon on Sunday March 16th. My concern is the week leading up to my marathon. I'm nervous to re-introduce anything to mess up my system. I don't know how my body will respond. I know I can continue with the whole30 and make it into a Whole 37, 45, etc. I have a feeling after the marathon there will be food that is not whole30 compliant, including beer. My concern is, if I don't re-introduce anything non-compliant the week leading up to my marathon and I try something after my race, how is my body going to react? I don't want to be feeling sick on the car ride home :-/ I know it will be very difficult for me to not have a beer after the race.

Any suggestions? Also, I'm trying to figure out  my pre-race meal. I've been eating HB eggs and cashews before my long runs, but I know that won't be substantial enough for 26.2miles.

If I were you I would definitely extend your Whole30 a few days and stay compliant through the race. I just finished reintroduction last week, and while I didn't have any major reactions to the elimination foods, I can report a general feeling of "not feeling awesome" that lingered through out the week... and you probably want to feel your MOST awesome on race day!  

My boyfriend and I did a couple long trail races during our Whole30 and we ate more carbs like sweet potato or plantains in days leading up to the race.  We also ate to-go baby foods during the runs instead of gels - http://www.ellaskitchen.com/.  It was hard to walk by all of the post-race goodies at the finish line, but I'd usually just grab a banana and get out of there. 

I'm all for celebrating with a beer, but maybe best to treat yourself when you get home :)

Good luck next weekend and high five for an awesome accomplishment!

If I were you I would definitely extend your Whole30 a few days and stay compliant through the race. I just finished reintroduction last week, and while I didn't have any major reactions to the elimination foods, I can report a general feeling of "not feeling awesome" that lingered through out the week... and you probably want to feel your MOST awesome on race day!  

My boyfriend and I did a couple long trail races during our Whole30 and we ate more carbs like sweet potato or plantains in days leading up to the race.  We also ate to-go baby foods during the runs instead of gels - http://www.ellaskitchen.com/.  It was hard to walk by all of the post-race goodies at the finish line, but I'd usually just grab a banana and get out of there. 

I'm all for celebrating with a beer, but maybe best to treat yourself when you get home :)

Thanks for the advice. I've been eating sweet potatoes like it's my job. They're so good and always hit the spot.

Last week on my 20mile training run, I took along Buddy Fruit (baby food fruit pureed in a little squeezable pouch). First time using one, it was good. I've never used gels, gu, blocks, etc before, but knew I would need something to get thru 20miles. I'll check out the link you sent as well. I'm training for a half Ironman so I better stock up now.

I'm thinking maybe I'll volunteer to drive. That way I have NO temptation to give into the race goodies. I'm looking forward to relaxing one evening with a glass of wine, but I won't allow it until AFTER I'm home and settled back from the race. Thanks again for your advice :-)

Which Flavors of Ella's kitchen do you recommend trying?

Ella's sounds similar to the Buddy Fruit you used.  I found them on sale at Target and I've really liked all the flavors so far.  The purple package-- apple, sweet potato, pumpkin, and blueberry is my favorite.  (We accidentally picked up two packs with prune and have yet to try those during a run, could be bad news!!)

Larabars are also great, specifically Carrot Cake and Banana Bread flavors.  I avoid these unless I have a long run because they are so densely sweet... and typically only eat half of the bar at a time.  But everyone's different and there are a lot of endurance athletes (far more experienced than me) on these forums if you search around!

Every article on racing I've ever read says not to make any drastic changes to pre-run and in-run nutrition within 2 weeks of a race and especially not on race day. Whatever you have been doing for your long runs is what I would do on race day. Delaying reintroductions is a very good plan. Have a great race!

Every article on racing I've ever read says not to make any drastic changes to pre-run and in-run nutrition within 2 weeks of a race and especially not on race day. Whatever you have been doing for your long runs is what I would do on race day. Delaying reintroductions is a very good plan. Have a great race!

I agree on not making changes pre-run. Thanks for the encouragement :-)

Ok, it looks like I'll be waiting another week. I'll have a double celebration, marathon and whole 30 completion :-)

Ella's sounds similar to the Buddy Fruit you used.  I found them on sale at Target and I've really liked all the flavors so far.  The purple package-- apple, sweet potato, pumpkin, and blueberry is my favorite.  (We accidentally picked up two packs with prune and have yet to try those during a run, could be bad news!!)

Larabars are also great, specifically Carrot Cake and Banana Bread flavors.  I avoid these unless I have a long run because they are so densely sweet... and typically only eat half of the bar at a time.  But everyone's different and there are a lot of endurance athletes (far more experienced than me) on these forums if you search around!

I haven't had the Carrot cake larabar. I agree they are really sweet. Has anyone tried the rx bars? I'm curious how those taste?

Archived