Whole30 on a cycling tour - snacks during ride

I am currently on week 6 of a ride across the USA and day 7 of the whole30, and 2 weeks of gluten free. I feel awesome and have already lost 4 lbs from the new diet, but need advice on eating during the ride. Seems we have been having mainly nuts and fruit, some beef jerky, and sometimes we stop for a second breakfast along the way. We (my boyfriend has joined the ride and is doing the whole30 with me) are riding 50-100 miles 3-5 days of each week.

Any advice for this pursuit is greatly appreciated!

Elise

It's so nice to see fellow cyclists on this forum, especially the ultra endurance ones like myself.

This summer I did an ultra endurance cycling ride and I ate some of what you mentioned; bananas, nuts, etc.  I also ate plantain chips (they did have palm oil in them, so I'm not sure if you want to eat those while on your Whole 30) and Lara Bars.  I had grilled chicken and squash bites on my ride as well.  Because you're going to be eating food that doesn't give you immediate "bang for your buck" like those nasty gels, you will need to make sure you eat plenty in advance.  The salt from the plantain chips will help you retain some water.

I hope that helps.

• Moderators

I like the sweet potato baby food pouches. Some folks make their own out of roasted sweet potatoes, coconut milk and applesauce, if you're so inclined.

I like EPIC bars (like a jerky bar, Turkey flavor is whole30 compliant) and RX Bars (dates/figs + egg whites for protein).

I'm not a cyclist but just two comments from things posted in this thread. No scale during your Whole30 please. This is one of the program rules so put it away and wait until day 31 to weigh yourself again. As to Robin's question on palm oil...I do believe that is fine on a Whole30. Generally I would guess that having lots of post workout type foods along the way (lean protein and starchy vegetables) is your best bet. Save your fats for your meal before your ride any meals more than an hour after your ride.

Archived