Resistant Starch?

AllyB

I was listening to a paleo podcast today that talked about resistant starch.  I was wondering what people's thoughts are about it.  After doing my whole 30 and trying to stay pretty clean from now on, I know I'm not eating as much resistant starch as I used to....I can tell by my...ahem...bathroom performance.

Thoughts? Comments?

• Moderators

I view discussions of resistant starch as a passing fad that will be forgotten like hundreds of other hot topics that have passed into the dust of history.

Eat a sweet potato and a serving of kale every day if you want more productive bowel movements. :)

• 1 month later...

There's a lot of folks blogging about r.s. these days, I can't speak to whether or not it's just a passing fad, but my interpretation of the information is to we could probably use more of it in our diets (raw banana/plantains anyone?).

Regarding bathroom time, my experience has improved as my gut has healed (I finished my second Whole30 the end of February this year).  I figure it has to do with my "clean" eating and all the veggies. :rolleyes:  I used to take psyllium husk every morning with water to help slow things down, but not anymore.  I do take resistant starch, but things normalized before I started taking it and it's not why I started taking it.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband has been trying to get more resistant starch for over a month now.  We are done with our whole 30 and it really helped his autoimmune issues.  However, he also wanted to continue to heal his leaky gut.  So he added resistant starch in the form of home made beans (soak to ferment and then slow cook.)  I have to admit, the way he makes them, they are wicked good!  He hasn't had any ill effects from the beans and thinks they may be helping. (They certainly aren't hurting and they are adding some tasty alternatives.)   His last stubborn patches of psoriasis are finally gone (after years of having them.)   

It's hard to say if RS is helping.  Beans are discouraged on the whole 30 because of anti nutrients, but nuts have anti nutrients as well and they are allowed.  So it's kind of confusing (maybe I'm missing something?)  We are continuing to eat very clean since the results have been great for his autoimmune issues.  Maybe his continued improvements are from continued clean eating.  It's hard to say....

Archived