What should I eat for breakfast for Whole30?

My breakfasts are usually just kind of thrown together from leftovers and whatever is in the fridge. This morning I had some sweet potato hash browns, a handful of zoodles sauteed in garlic and ghee, and 2 breakfast sausage patties (I make my own sausage). I also love leftover chicken legs (I always make extra so I can have them for breakfast) with whatever leftover veggies I have in the fridge. The other day I made the best omelette with caramelized onions and mushrooms that were leftover from a burger I'd made for dinner the night before.

How do you caramelize onions without sugar?

How do you caramelize onions without sugar?

Carmelized onions DO NOT require sugar! If you cook the onions slowly enough, the malliard reaction will act on the natural sugars in the onion and make them sweet. Adding sugar is a shortcut some cooks use, but it's just that: a shortcut. Even non-paleo/non-whole30 chefs will carmelize onions without adding any sugar.

I'm a big girl ;)

Sharyn- I hope all this talk hasn't made you worry about your portion sizes. To be perfectly clear: 4 eggs is FINE. 4 eggs+ some other protein is fine. The template is really a minimum recommendation. If your breakfast holds you to lunch and you don't feel over-full you are good to go.

Sharyn- I hope all this talk hasn't made you worry about your portion sizes. To be perfectly clear: 4 eggs is FINE. 4 eggs+ some other protein is fine. The template is really a minimum recommendation. If your breakfast holds you to lunch and you don't feel over-full you are good to go.

Thanks MissMary. I am fine with my portion sizes!! Thanks for the concern. I know they will reduce as my bulk reduces so I am cool with 4 eggs and some fish or meat for breakfast. I try to eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and supper like a pauper - or however that old saying goes!

• 2 weeks later...

For breakfast, I make a 2-egg omelette with a slice or two of turkey or ham (this was before Whole30, so I'll have to find approved options), plus a TON of spinach. If you cook the spinach in some olive oil first, you can get your fat needs, plus you can fit 1-2 cups of spinach in a 2-egg omelette. Also, if you're only using 2 eggs you can add water when you whisk and that will help the eggs to make a bigger omelette. This meal is great for lasting me for hours!

Also, if you're only using 2 eggs you can add water when you whisk and that will help the eggs to make a bigger omelette. 

Sorry, why? The meal template suggests a palms-worth of protein at each meal. For eggs, the serving is how many you can hold in your hand (3 or more for most people). Instead of trying to make it "seem like" a larger amount of food, try adding more eggs. The idea that people should eat as little as possible (saying calories in any form are bad, eating less/moving more is always good) is actually a false notion. Provide enough food for your body to thrive and your metabolism will rise to use this increased energy.

To be clear: adding water for a fluffy texture is fine, but don't skimp on food or play games with your body to try to 'get by' with less than you need.

Me too don't understand the reason people having chicken and meat in breakfast. They are so heavy that if you dump them early morning perhaps you will feel sleepy the whole day.

Coming back to your question, I think a small bowl of boiled veggies and egg would be perfect. And what's the big deal if you feel hungry in couple of hours? Expert dietitians always advice to divide your food in sections. You can opt for something that will keep you full for a longer period of time. After your breakfast, if you feel hungry, eat a handful of mixed fruit. There is no harm in having a few. Also, its not about keeping on eating, its about being full and at the same time not gaining weight.

Vitaminsvalue, please take a look at the program guidelines. We recommend a palms-worth of protein at each meal, along with veggies and fat. It is better for hormone regulation, metabolism and digestion if you give yourself a good 4-5 hours between each meal. "Expert dietitians" do not agree on this matter, so sure, if you want to follow some other advice, give it a try, just be aware that the whole30 program takes a different position based on the research that is available.

I do eggs almost every morning because of the cost compared to the cost of meat. I rotate through several preparations that are all quick and easy, and I adjust between 2 eggs or 3 eggs depending on how hungry I am and if I'm adding meat to the mix. All of them start with 1 T. butter (clarified on W30):

scrambled and topped with 1/4 cup tomato sauce (the plain kind out of a can)

scrambled and topped with salsa and half an avocado

scrambled with diced onion, spinach, and mushrooms <--personal favorite

scrambled with chopped crisped bacon

scrambled with chopped ham

scrambled with half a can of salmon

fried and served on a pile of leftover sauteed vegetables from the night before

fried and served on top of frozen chopped spinach (thawed and heated/reheated, but if you'd rather have frozen cubes of spinach, that's on you)

fried and served on top of half a sweet potato

fried and served with leftover steak

poached on a pile of leftover roasted vegetables (when there are any leftover, which is almost never)<--this one feels like its my birthday

poached on a stack of sauteed peppers and onions with some leftover pork sausage

hardboiled, sliced in half, and wrapped in compliant deli ham

hardboiled and dipped in homemade mayo

If you need quick and easy, make one of these ahead of time:

Frittata Onion, veggie of choice, maybe a little ground meat. Cut into slices, grab and go.

Or make Mini-Frittatas from Nom Nom Paleo

or Meat and Spinach Muffins from Well Fed

Or hard boil a dozen eggs (3 or 4 for each day)

Add some baby carrots plus your fat of choice (half an avocado, perhaps, or some homemade olive oil mayo to dollop on them).

BAM.

I just made those Meat and Spinach Muffins from Well Fed last night and am having two for breakfast with 5 olives, some pearl tomatoes, and a small amount of sweet potato. Those muffins are genius if you ask me.

Renaming "breakfast" to meal #1, has helped me tremendously.  A large chef's salad (with chicken or other leftover meat) can be put together the night before and dressed in the morning in less time than it takes to pour cereal and milk.  Planning ahead is the key to a successful meal during the morning rush hour.

Archived