Day 32 - Almost no positive changes

Hi everyone, I'll introduce myself. I'm Nadia, from Argentina, and I'm 21 y.o. Over the last few years I became interested on how food affects our health, so when I heard about W30 I decided to try it. My goals are to have more energy, and to lose some body fat and replace it with muscle.

I'm thin (108lb, 5' 5"), although I recognise I have a distorted body image and I hate my body fat (mostly located in the belly and thighs). I exercise moderately (bodybuilding and cardio 3 times a week). I quitted milk two years ago, and my family and I started eating a more "Mediterranean" diet - lots of fruits, vegetables, and cereals (I ate a lot of corn flakes, mixed with seeds, nuts and honey, I love them), while keeping the meat intake at aprox. 4 meals a week. I've never been a huge fan of meat (although I love fish), in fact I prefer a quinoa or legume burger rather than a beef burger... So I knew I would get bored of meat when I did the W30. And I would miss cereals and everything including dough.

However, I managed through my first W30, 100% compliant. I sometimes got bored of food, sometimes had sugar cravings, and sometimes experimented with new recipes and felt glad about it. I lost 6lb (4 of them were "extra", as I gained them poor eating while on vacations). But I don't feel better at all (in fact, the other changes were negative - a lot of gasses, and I feel really heavy. I fatigue more while doing cardio, going upstairs, and some days I also fatigued even when I walked :(. And I still don't hear the alarm clock in the mornings - I really don't hear it; if I don't have to go to work, I wake up only after 10 hours of sleep. And I sleep pretty well, as usual.

So I decided to keep on 30 more days to see if I experiment some changes. But I don't know why it's not working for me, so I ask for your help, and leave a template of my meals. Besides, do you think that some days a week (lets say, 3) of a Vegetarian W30 could help with my feeling of heaviness?

Breakfast: 2 eggs (boiled or poached) with scramble of chard, onion, chili (cooked in olive oil). Maybe 5-10 cashews or hazelnuts.

Lunch: Chicken breast (or another meat, or 2 eggs) with tomato, lettuce and carrot salad, with olive oil. Sometimes I add olives.

Tea: Here we have dinner at about 9-10 o'clock, so I need to have a "tea". If I'm going to the gym after it, I usually eat a boiled egg with aprox. 10 cashews or hazelnuts. If not, I prefer some cashew, hazelnut and dried grapes (no more than a small cup), or an apple with grated coconut over it.

Dinner: Similar to lunch.

Aprox. 3 lts of water throughout the day.

Sorry for the length of the post, and thank you all.

Nadia.

Given your current height and weight, I don't know that it would be healthy for you to lose any more weight.

Your meals don't seem especially large. It's unclear to me whether you're eating pre/post workout. Pre workout is protein and fat. Post workout is protein and carb. No fruit in either.

Instead of having raw vegetables at lunch and dinner, try switching to all cooked vegetables.  Include carb-dense vegetables at least once a day. Having cooked vegetables vs. raw may help with your gas.

Have you had any medical tests to see if you have any health challenges that are causing your low energy? Checking thyroid and adrenals, for example?

Hi There,

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Based on the food that you have listed here, I can make two recommendations:

add a starchy carb to one meal a day - this should help with that tired and sluggish feeling.  Starchy carbs are especially important on those days that your excersise.  Starchy carbs should include - sweet potato, squash, carrots, beets, jicama, yucca, most root vegetable

Secondly - lay off the nuts!!! They shouldn't be your primary fat source.  They have a tendency to bloat many.  You have so many yummy fat sources to chose from - olives, avocadoes, olive oil mayo, all things coconut.  Yes nuts are a fat source, but they are not the ideal one.  And like I said - many people have problems with them.

@GFChris, I'm having my "tea" before workout, and I make sure to have some proteins. I have fruit or nuts for tea the days I don't exercise. Regards to my thyroid, some medical tests in November show that my TSH is a bit high. But I was really stressed at that time (I also had diarrhea and pseudo-depression), so my doctor attributed it to the stress (diarrhea vanished when I finished University). I'd never had a thyroid test before, so I don't know if my values have always been like this. I'll take your advice of more cooked veggies.

@Carlaccini, I rely on nuts as fat source because they're easy and I really like them, but I think I try to follow your advice. I'll also add more starchy veggies to see if that improves my energy.

Thank you! Any other comments are really appreciated :).

I'd say given your height and weight you should really consider eating more food overall, more fat specifically, and more starchy carbs if you're going to continue with this for another 30 days. I highly doubt that the pounds you lost were "extra" or that you have excess fat in your abdomen or thighs. It seems like your perception of your body could be leading you down an unhealthy path and I caution you against using the whole 30 to achieve that.

Hi ! I am sorry to hear that, and I do not really know what could be the problem, I am not an expert as I am on my Day 7, and feeling very tired all the time too...

BUT, I saw you live in Argentina and I couldn´t help than writing, as I am here too. I am having troubles to find compliant food (coconut oil, coconut aminos, "raw" cashews, ... ) so I thought we could share some tips. 

Archived