Lenten Whole40 support thread

peahen65

I'm so upset I barely slept last night.  It never occurred to me to check the ingredients in my spray olive oil.  I just want to cry.

Ok, deep breath. Yes, soy is one of those gut disrupters, but that doesn't mean your whole30 is completely distroyed. Was is optimal? no, but nobody has a 100% perfect whole30 the first time. Not even Tom Denham. Your plan sounds good: keep going as long as you can, knowing when you go out of town you will have to make slight adjustments. Once you are back, or maybe 6 months from now, you might decide you want to do another 30 days "completely clean" but don't let this take away your feeling of accomplishment.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello everybody.  I am having a tough weekend.  I haven't eaten anything off plan but my emotions are just seriously messing with me.  I think the food grief is kicking in for me except for as sad as I am I also seem mad as hell.  Anyone else know what I mean?  I almost cried when I couldn't find a single compliant deli meat yesterday.  Am I really so terrible for wanting to eat some turkey or ham with out having to cook anything?  I am feeling burnt out with cooking in general.  I didn't even do a cook up today which I know I will regret later this week but I can't seem to make myself care right this minute.  Yesterday I was staring at the gluten free breads in the freezer section of the grocery store.  Why I don't know as I have never eaten any gluten free breads so the idea that I'm pissed off I can't have it is silly.  The lack of convenience is getting to me I guess.  I'm so tired when I get home form work and my weekends are full of household chores.  Ugh! This is just not a good weekend.  I am about a week early from when I would usually be feeling this whacked out emotionally in my normal cycle.  Could the change in diet be affecting that? 

Also my mother never finished the book so once again I find myself in the food police position which pisses me off even more.  I asked her to please read the book so this time she could make her own educated decisions instead of constantly asking my permission for things she should know she can't have.  If she had read the book like she told me she would then it wouldn't be all my responsibility.  It doesn't surprise me because that's pretty much how she is on anything.  If the car breaks down who calls the mechanic? Me.  If the septic tank over flows who calls the plumber? Me.  I pay all the bills, do all the shopping, and make most of the money.  Sorry to unload here but I really need a vacation. 

Another beautiful thing is my face is broke out worse right now than it has done in decades.  Which is a clue to me that it is partly hormonal.  I hope this means my period is going to be early and not that I get to feel like this for over a week.

Thanks for letting me vent my frustrations.  I'm going to see if I can get some prep done for the week.

lujo238, if you read my post above you'll know I am right there with you.  No idea why this is happening to use halfway through.  I was like a different person last night and this morning.  I had a nap, which I desperately needed after only 4-5 hours of sleep, and I'm doing a lot better, but my emotions have been completely out of whack this weekend . . . 

Thinking of you!

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} mcjule!  Keep on keeping on.  I can imagine how incredibly frustrating that must be!  I agree, just pick up from here, and do your best til reintro.  The Whole30 you've been keeping so far, imperfect though it may have been, is not all lost.  Please stay and hang in there.

And {{{{HUG}}}} for you too, lujo!  I've been feeling like that off and on through the whole thing so far.  I'm okay, then I'm not okay.  Then I'm storming around the kitchen growling, "WHO HID MY SUNFLOWER SEED BUTTER?!?!?" when I set my cookbook over it.  I still have to remind husband to read labels.  He's not even read the program, much less the book.  Today in the health food store he found some "paleo bread" in the freezer section and wanted some.  He read the ingredients and they were all compliant.  I said "You can have that if you want, but it's paleo-ified baked goods - SWYPO and I can't have it on the Whole30."  He put it away and said he wanted to do what I was doing (except for steak sauce, of course).  And he tried to get me some "Liquid Aminos" and I had to explain that I only use COCONUT aminos, because Braggs is made from soy.  So he has general ideas, and I feel I have to correct him all the time.  He once got me some fatback because he knew I loved it when I was little.  Well, this was basically bacon - NOT the saltpork of my youth - sugar cured and the works.  So, I do feel a little of your frustration... trying to do our best on the W30 ourselves, without screwing up, and loved ones co-opting our time and energy to help them out on it.

When I got some pork fat to render my own lard with (used to do that years ago) today, the butcher suggested I try rendered duck fat.  I presume it's W30 okay.  The only ingredient is "duck fat".  He says he loves it on popcorn (of all things).  I'm hoping I'll like it better than ghee.

When I got some pork fat to render my own lard with (used to do that years ago) today, the butcher suggested I try rendered duck fat.  I presume it's W30 okay.  The only ingredient is "duck fat".  He says he loves it on popcorn (of all things).  I'm hoping I'll like it better than ghee.

Yes, duck fat is an approved Whole30 cooking fat. Enjoy!

lujo238: Grrr that's the worst feeling -- the point where you CAN'T BE BOTHERED TO COOK ANYMORE! I think everyone gets that at some point or another. I get really stressed out when this happens because it just becomes so difficult to find food out...which makes me grumpy...which makes me all the more annoyed...and so on. Everytime I do a cookup I aim (but don't always achieve!) to do something that I can put in the freezer that is finger food, portable and can be eaten for any meal. Examples are meatballs (I nearly always use one or other of Melissa Joulwan's recipes in WellFed), tuna cakes (I use Melissa's oven fried salmon cakes but use tuna instead) and mini egg muffins (Nom Nom Paleo's prosciutto wrapped muffins are the best). The aim is to always have some sort of 'deli meat' substitute readily available for those days when I'm too tired, bored, stressed, frustrated, etc. to cook something. I know this doesn't help you NOW but if you do get a chance to do a cookup, get an extra half kilo (that's a pound to you Americans!) of minced meat and make some meatballs to put in the freezer. I usually freeze them in batches of 6 (mine are pretty small -- a half kilo usually makes around 30 meatballs -- so obviously freeze fewer in one container if you've made them bigger!). 

To everyone who is finding this hard, have had to restart, are getting frustrated: I know I've said it before but it's worth saying again: your next Whole30 will be A LOT easier. I promise. I really think it's worth scheduling in your next one once you get towards the end of the current one so you can look forward to the Reintro period, enjoy a couple of months or three of eating slightly more normally (i.e. stop obsessing over every minute detail!) and then jump right back in. I promise you you will find the next one much much easier. I did my first in September last year and the second in January so there was 2 months (including Christmas) where I wasn't Whole30ing and by the time January came around I couldn't wait to get started. This time round, the third Whole30, there was almost no mental preparation needed, no gearing up, no stress. It was just like walking straight into another normal day of eating...except mentally I was prepared for a full 40+ days of it. Now I almost forget that I'm doing it because it's so second nature. The only time I really have to remind myself is when someone offers me something or I'm out for drinks with friends (e.g. after CrossFit the other day a friend was trying out a new protein shake and she offered me a sip and I almost took it before remembering that I can't!). The point is, it becomes second nature eventually that you start forgetting that you're being strict -- not in the sense that you start eating stuff you shouldn't without realising but in the sense that the whole obsession with food just starts to disappear.

Thanks so much for all the wonderful support.  I'm feeling so much better after some good sleep.  It's just so discouraging to find out that you messed up accidentally and with something where it never occurred to me could have a no-no ingredient!

Also, lujo, you have a right to be mad!  It's ridiculous that our food is full of sugar, soy, and other yucky additives.  Most people aren't even aware of this, which also makes me mad.  Yes, I know it's our responsibility to read labels but who would guess that soy is in tuna fish?  It's really crazy if you think about it.  I spent forever at the store today trying to find compliant tuna (I ran out of what I had, which was compliant).  The same thing happened to me at Whole Foods when I was going through the nut butters.  Their fancy butters were packed with cane syrup! 

Good morning.  Thank you everyone on your kind words regarding my little tantrum this weekend.  I'm feeling better now, more in control of my emotions.  On the less emotional side of things my 2nd fish dinner experiment also went wrong.  I tried covering it in homemade tarter sauce then pulled out he Franks Hot Sauce but nope, couldn't eat it.  So I ended up slicing two hardboiled eggs over my salad and calling it a night.  Next week I will be on the look out for meatless egg dishes for Friday night. 

Saturday my daughter had a soccer game before we went shopping.  My freezer was still pretty full so I just picked up a few fresh items.  That's when I started to get a bit crazy.  By the time I got home I was so upset I was glad both my little kids were at sleepovers.  Sunday started with a whimper as I overslept but not in a good way.  I woke up feeling like I never slept at all.  I had to drag myself upstairs where I spent most of the day being a vegetable in a recliner.  I did get the laundry done which is a good thing since I only have three pair of pants I can wear right now.  I was really hoping this Whole30 would get me back down a size or two so I would have more clothes I could wear.  I am at the top end of my fat sizes and I refuse to buy anymore.  Yesterday I woke feeling more normal.  Getting the kids to school and myself to work leaves me no time for feeling sorry for myself.  A busy day at the office is always good for that too although I did find myself more annoyed than usual at one of my more annoying clients.  I'm usually pretty good at handling them with a smile but I felt like telling her to just give me a break yesterday.  I dealt with it by keeping much of our communication by email and not sending anything until an hour or so after my first draft so I could edit.  Anyway I am sure I will hear from her again today as she likes to beat things to death no matter how many times I explain them.  So I guess the short story I made longer is that I am better but not my best.  LOL. :unsure:

mcjule - Ugh! Accidental soy, I feel your pain and share it.  That gum I ate near the beginning had soy - GUM!  Plus I used a spray oil a couple times near the beginning as well.  Just habit as it's right next to the stove.  It has since been moved to the top shelf so I would need assistance to get it down and that should prevent me from using it mindlessly.  I'm beginning to think of this whole30 as more of a trial run,  Next time I will prepare more. 

peahen - Exactly, your husband sounds like my mother, working with only half the info.  After reading one of your posts about making your own nut butter I went looking for some sunflower seeds I bought only to find my kids ate them - ALL.  Wow duck fat and rendering your own lard.  You are more adventurous than me.

TDC - Meatballs sounds like a great idea.  I will definitely make some next weekend. I think I will also take your advice about scheduling my next Whole30.  How much time between them do you think is optimal?  It's nice to hear this does get easier especially when you are right in the middle of the hard part.

Thanks everyone and have a great day.

Speaking of kids eating things...  Went upstairs to pack my lunch up and someone apparently had a snack last night that included half my lunch.  So instead of making breakfast for myself I had to put together a new lunch.  I am now leaving for work with my half-eaten lunch which I will have for breakfast when I get there.  I threw some salad and another half a pepper in with it to bring it back to size.  For lunch I will now have last nights leftovers.  Darn kids!! 

lujo238: Sounds like you need some stern labelling on your food boxes! I have done that before when I knew my boyfriend was out for some drinks with a friend and I thought if I don't label my lunch for the next day it won't be there! haha

In terms of how long until the next one...I think that's completely up to how you feel right now. Can you face the thought of doing another one in a couple of months time or not? I finished my first Whole30 on 30 September and planned my next for January so I had 3 months. Throughout October and November I ate pretty well during the week and allowed myself to be more relaxed at the weekend -- a glass or wine, eating out without too much fuss, enjoy dinner at my grandparents without worrying about what was in the food...etc. Then it was December and Christmas season and I decided that I should just relax, eat what I want and enjoy myself. I did just that, but I was also aware that compared to previous Christmases I wasn't eating anywhere near as much junk as before! And in fact it got to the day after boxing day and I was so tired of eating bread for breakfast I made myself a leftover turkey and egg scramble and enjoyed it far more than any of the pastries I'd had over the week prior! So point being I was really ready to get back on the Whole30 by January. I vaguely thought that I'd do another Whole30 just before I go away on holiday at the end of May but it was about mid-Feb when my boyfriend suggested we do a Whole30 through Lent and I thought that it probably wasn't really enough time in between and the thought of having to do all the prep and so on was just really tiring...but then I couldn't stop thinking about it so decided to jump on board...and it's been effortless really -- which is great because I know that anytime I think another Whole30 is a good idea I know I can just do it without too much trouble and effort. Right now I'm planning on doing a Whole14 just before I go away in May just to make sure my body is at optimal health. I've got four weddings to go to this summer and I want to make sure I feel good for them.

So I can't tell you exactly when your next one should be, but I bet you anything you're already thinking ahead to your year and wondering when would be sensible to fit the next one in...

Hi Organic Mom, Hi peahen

chocolate cravings. ugh. one of my really really hard things. I have found one chocolate tea that was compliant, (but I just ran out of it, and of course hubby, being the sweetheart he is, threw the empty container out, and took the trash out, so I'm going to have to search all the teas at the store to see which one it was that didn't have noncompliant stuff. If you are a real cardcarrying (can do without the sugar part), I make a hot cocoa at night sometimes, that is hot water plus cocoa powder mixed to a paste, then almond milk, maybe a little cinnamon. heat. then top with chocolate coconut milk (blend coconut milk, cocoa & vanilla, refrigerate, thats one of my coffee creamers). not sweet, but I'm not sure if it counts as SWPO? I don't add any sugar to it. Just sometimes I get sick of tea, and part of my evening wind down ritual is a warm cup of tea or cocoa. Moderators? is that SWPO? or compliant?

Yeah- 46 days to Lent? maybe could do reintroduction BEFORE Easter? then wouldn't blow it so badly on Easter. Except I think I can't, cause I blew it at that family dinner. Oh well, it was a nice thought while it lasted. I'll count days just to make sure.

Lujo, here's the link to Veg Out:  http://www.vegoutwithrfs.org/

well, it didn't save as a link, but you can copy & paste it into your browser. Not all of their recipes are Whole30 compliant, but at least they are ideas to try new things. For a while there, I used to buy one new fruit or veggie that I had never tried before each grocery trip. Problem with that idea is that a lot of the new stuff was expensive- especially the new or different fruits- $5 for one piece? Yikes. So I fell away from that. 

Have a good week!

Hi all! I just wanted to jump in here and mention that I'm not sure this hot chocolate is a good idea in this context. There's nothing wrong with the ingredients, but I'm uncomfortable with the idea of using this to satisfy a chocolate craving.  If your goal is to help battle those cravings, I'd suggest distracting yourself rather than finding a way to give in and still stay compliant.

Things  have been going pretty well for me for my first Whole46 or anything of the sort.  Quite honestly, I had never even done anything paleo before, much less whole30.  I'm in a bit of a quandry, now, though.  We went out yesterday and I knew that there would not be anything compliant available, so I made do with what I could pack - which included almonds.  I've noticed intermittently something felt weird, and after eating the almonds yesterday, I clearly had an allergic reaction.  I've never had problems with nuts before (that I'm aware of).  Sooo ..here's my question.  Does this type of reaction call for a restart??  We're what ..21 days in??  I would have to imagine that a full fledged allergic reaction has some inflammatory bowel effects.  UGH.  

ShaunaF, My suspicion is no, you don't need to do a restart. Obviously avoid them from now on but you should be fine. As homerfrizzell has said there could be some other reason why almonds made you feel bad other than you react badly. Hopefully a mod will jump in though!!

Things  have been going pretty well for me for my first Whole46 or anything of the sort.  Quite honestly, I had never even done anything paleo before, much less whole30.  I'm in a bit of a quandry, now, though.  We went out yesterday and I knew that there would not be anything compliant available, so I made do with what I could pack - which included almonds.  I've noticed intermittently something felt weird, and after eating the almonds yesterday, I clearly had an allergic reaction.  I've never had problems with nuts before (that I'm aware of).  Sooo ..here's my question.  Does this type of reaction call for a restart??  We're what ..21 days in??  I would have to imagine that a full fledged allergic reaction has some inflammatory bowel effects.  UGH.  

I don't think this calls for a restart but I would definitely cut them out for the remainder of your journey. If at the end you are still feeling the aftershocks of it than I would extend longer before doing reintroductions. You may want to add almonds as a separate intro, perhaps at the end. I would buy fresh ones just in case the ones you had were bad. One question though, was the only ingredient in the almonds the nuts or were they roasted in some sort of oil?

I got caught out without protein handy today post workout (car in shop) so afterward went to store to get some chicken. Thankfully they had a natural organic whose only ingredients were the chicken and sea salt. It was pretty big so I looked at the ingredient list of the regular rotisserie chickens and besides chicken etc it had maltodextrin aka sugar AND... carrageenan of all things! If anything, my W40 has given me an education on how much crap is added to what I thought were basic foods!

I agree, at least for me, hot "chocolate" made that way would definitely be SWYPO.  But even putting coconut milk in my coffee would be triggering for me, so I may be sensitive (emotionally sensitive about my hot drinks) that way.  I'm going along well with my black Americanos and even had regular drip black coffee Sunday afternoon at mother-in-law's assisted living place and actually enjoyed it. I used to buy café mochas but in January went to Americanos with added chocolate and a little half and half to get away from all that milk.  Then I dropped the chocolate went to only half and half.  Before I started the Whole40, I was having my Americanos with only a little whole cream. I do miss that whole cream!  Hence my avoidance of coconut milk in it.  A chocolate and almond milk or coconut milk concoction would really bring on the cravings!   If I crave something like that, plain herbal or chai tea helps me the best.

For the first time EVER I managed to organise myself to do a proper cookup, and then had the best week because I always had food in the house! I actually divided my cookup into three stages which I think worked really well: on Sunday morning I roasted a chicken cut up into pieces and made chocolate chilli and morroccan dipping sauce from WellFed2 (the sauce was amazing, and a great thing to have in the fridge for dressings; I just kept adding olive oil and lemon juice to it); on Sunday evening I put a pork shoulder in the slow cooker and made a minestrone soup; on Monday evening I par-cooked some vegetables and made the sunshine sauce. I then had a great stress-free week foodwise because I had a great mix of food that I could make into other dishes or eat cold if needed. Still got two boxes of chocolate chilli in the freezer; the rest of the food will be finished up by today. So pleased with myself!

Wow I missed this place yesterday.  According to my daily emails this is day 24.  Woo Hoo!  While my first whole 30 has been less than perfect I feel like I learned a lot and I am looking forward to reintroduction to see what I learn.  After reintroduction the plan is to keep a "clean" house for the most part.  That way treats will be a little harder to come by and we won't fall back into bad daily habits.  I want to do another whole 30 this summer.  Maybe August. The holidays which in my house range from Halloween to New Years Day can be rough for me.  We kick it off every year with a Halloween block party and it feels non-stop eating and socializing until everyone crawls back into their hidey holes hung over after New Years.  Most of the hosting seems to be at my house because that's the way my mother likes it and it's just become habit now.  We always have family in town for Thanksgiving and Christmas so by New Years I am ready to never see any of my family again, LOL, at least for a while.  I think I will talk to some of my other family early this year and see if we can portion out some of the hosting.  Part of the problem is my mom feels if we don't host it no one will and then we won't get to see everyone like we like.  Sorry for the ramble.

TDC - Thanks for sharing your story.  I like the idea of doing a Whole 30 in January. It's a good time to detox after holiday excess.

ShaunaF - Sorry to hear about your trouble with nuts.  I have found that if I eat too many nuts in one sitting they upset my tummy.  Perhaps that is what happened to you. 

OrganicMom - Late night snacking is a tough one.  The kids are in bed the house is quiet.  Tummy rumblings get louder.  I'm glad you are getting by with your cup of tea.  I usually drink between 8-16 oz of water.  Sometimes it is flavored with some basil leaves and lime.

Peahen65 - I wonder if you will still like the cream in your coffee as much when you try to add it back.  I always drank my black but with sugar until a couple years ago I dropped the sugar completely.  A couple times since then I have sipped out of the wrong coffee cup either my son's or my sister's and Ewww!  It is really much better without anything at all. 

I hope everyone has a great day.

I missed y'all yesterday!  Lujo238, I'm with you on the post-Whole 30 changes. I have to see how reintro goes but I'm thinking of keeping dairy, soy, and gluten out of my diet.  I'd like to add back in at least some non-gluten grains, but I need to see if I tolerate them.  I'm actually struggling a bit with the reintro because I really want to keep going until the end of Lent (Easter) but I'm afraid that with our vacation (eating out every meal) and staying with relatives (none of my own cooking) I'll mess something up.  I guess it makes sense to do the reintro but then go back to staying on track (to the best of my ability) until Easter.

Archived