Laura's post Whole 30 Log

LauraJS

So i've decided to start a post whole 30 log to keep myself accountable!

I completed my first whole30 on Feb28 and felt great during and after but then came the weekend and a wild music festival so the past few days I've been feeling a little worse for wear and suffering from stomach pains and bloating due to bad food choices.

So I want to feel as good as I did a few days ago so I'm jumping right back into strict whole30 eating but only up until my holiday. I am going to America for 4 weeks on April 13 and I'm not going to be able to keep strict whole30 there although for some meals I will sure try!

I want to focus hard on my fitness and gym goals.  My abs started coming through by the end of my whole30 so I want to train harder to get them to show more before my holiday!  I also want to tone up my thighs and glutes more!

Over the next month I have my cousin's birthday and a good friends wedding to attend so these two events I will allow myself to stray and also have some champagnes!

I find that if I log on each day to write what I have eaten, there will be less chance of me binging on bad foods since I'm not technically doing the whole30 again.  I want any readers that have the time to read my log to help me keep on track and motivated!

When I did the whole30 I had no issues with cheating or binging but now I feel like I could easier since I don't have that strict template to go by.  So this will be a challenge but I hope I can prove to myself that I'm strong enough!

A little about me for those that don't know.  I am 27, I live in Australia.  I am 158cm tall and when I last weighed myself at the end of my whole30 on Friday 28 February I weighed in at 47.4kg

I am a shift worker (its currently 3.10am) and i'm about to sleep so when I wake it will be officially the first day back into my super healthy living :)  

I look forward to the changes I will see in my body over the next month!

I will also take some measurements tomorrow when I wake up so I have something more than weight to go by (since at my size I don't worry about weight, I care more about the changes I can physically see!)

Lets do this!!!

post-39729-0-10245300-1394039880_thumb.j

It sounds like you never did the reintroduction protocol...is that correct? It might be worth doing a week or 2 of W30 and then trying to work through reintroducing the foods you think you might like to have again just so you know what is and isn't worth it. Totally up to you of course.

Where in the states will you be visiting? 

Looking forward to following your continuing journey.

No I didnt do the reintroduction protocol as I knew I had the music festival to attend on 1 March and a big social weekend planned out,  I knew going into the whole 30 that this would be the case.

I may do another proper whole 30 after my holiday and then properly try testing out reintroducing things.  But right now it just didnt fit properly into my social life.

I am going to New York, Miami, Mexico, Vegas, San Fran and LA :)

I think I might read 'It starts with food' over again.  I find that I feel more in control with that knowledge fresh in my mind.

I'm feeling quite 'lost' this week and still today have stomach pains from the weekend and also my energy levels are pretty low.  Working the night shift also isnt helping.  Hope I can get myself on track ASAP

Day one of back into healthy mode is complete!  Craving ALOT today and super hungry but I did ok.

My moto at the moment is 'Nothing tastes as good as building abs feel!'  hehehe

10.30am Woke up to do fasted cardio but felt a bit sick in the stomach so I ended up eating a mashed up banana and laying in bed for a while longer.  Gym will have to be put off today.

1pm Meal One

- Salmon cooked in coconut oil

- one fresh tomato

- handful of steamed green beans

- one orange

- ginger and lemon tea

5pm Meal 2

- two eggs scrambled (cooked in coconut oil) with sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, goji berries and sultanas

9.30pm Meal 3

- Salmon cooked in coconut oil

- Baked sweet potato

- Steamed green beans

- ginger and lemon tea

2.50am I arrived home from work, felt hungry but didn't want to eat too much before bed so I ate a raw carrot.  I should fall asleep just before 4am.  (Its currently 3am)

Also I forgot to take measurements today so Ill have to do that tomorrow :)

HI LaurajS

Today is day 31 for me - I have decided to stay on it for longer - at least 60 days

As someone who has gone back and forth from all or nothing - for many many years - I can relate to your posts - 

For some reason, after this Whole 30 - I really get that I don't want to keep putting myself through the pain of ingesting the wrong foods for me and then another agonizing  withdrawal.

What I noticed from your posts is you had no problem when you had the guidelines

"When I did the whole30 I had no issues with cheating or binging but now I feel like I could easier since I don't have that strict template to go by."

Maybe it would be helpful to decide on a few things that you will allow yourself beyond the Whole 30 guidelines - set new guidelines for yourself - yes to champagne and small bit of good chocolate for instance - but no to wedding cake and deep fried dough wrapped appetizers (both of which contain ALL of the inflammatory ingredients in one wallop)  -

For me - I would savor the champagne more if it was my only indulgence 

I also noticed that  you think you can't enjoy your active social life while still taking care of yourself. I do hope you continue to have a lot of fun ... it is important to figure out how to take care of yourself while doing it. It would be sad to set it up as an either or ... 

"No I didnt do the reintroduction protocol as I knew I had the music festival to attend on 1 March and a big social weekend planned out,"

"I am going to America for 4 weeks on April 13 and I'm not going to be able to keep strict whole30 there although for some meals I will sure try!"

"Over the next month I have my cousin's birthday and a good friends wedding to attend so these two events I will allow myself to stray and also have some champagnes!"

I have been at this for a long time and have children with food allergies - you can eat the way that is right for you ANYWHERE  - it just takes some planning - you def can eat this way at your planned destinations in the US . I'll give you an example, I was once invited to a good friend's birthday party  in a private room at one of Boston's most celebrated chef's restaurant. I was on a strict protocol at the time. I called ahead, explained I had food allergies and would be bringing my own food. They were so gracious, met me at the door - I handed them my little bag - and at dinner time they plated it for me and brought it with everyone else's food . NO ONE  noticed  - NO ONE cares what you eat or don' eat. A few people leaned over and said "wow. I am ordering that next time" .

Best Wishes 

M

Thanks so much for your post Maureen.

Yes I do need to set myself some goals so I have thought of the following.

Yes to champagne (but not overboard)

Yes to Vodka and Soda (or water)

No to deep fried anything

No to sugar

Yes to beans

Yes to brown rice if I want it (and if I feel ok after trying it again)

Yes to corn (same as above)

No to wheat

No to dairy (unless i'm at a function with a gourmet cheese platter but still then only a taste)

The social situations: yes I do like to party so this is where I find if I drink, I drink too much.  I dont drink at all at home during the week but on weekends when I go out to clubs then I do drink and get intoxicated.   I do hate being the only sober one in a group of people drinking but It's time I put my health first and embrace partying sober or be happy to stop at two drinks rather than having a drink in my hand all night long!

I feel awful for days after a big night so I need to just learn my lesson and stop doing bad to my body!

As for America I really want to try some foods over there that I'll never really try again.  Like a hot pretzel in New York or a bagel with cream cheese in New York.  I know its probably not wise but I realllllly want to! lol  I suppose maybe I could always just have a bite of my friends to taste rather than buy whole meals that are going to effect me.  I guess its going to be something I decide when I arrive and how bad I really want it all !  I guess it sounds silly to be so excited about trying stereotypical foods like that...

Thanks again for your encouraging words :)

Measurements

Took these myself with a clothing tape measure.  I might try and go get a fat percentage reading done also at the gym soon.

Thigh 49cm

Hips 81cm

Waist 65cm

Bicep 24cm

Buttocks 87cm

7th March

9.30am Meal 1

- two egg omelette with sunflower seeds, goji berries, pumpkin seeds and sultanas

- one plum

- black coffee

1.30pm Meal 2

- kangaroo steak with green beans, one fresh tomato, lettuce and capers

- water with lemon juice

- one orange

5pm Snack

- Sardines in olive oil

9.30pm Meal 3

- beef chilli on a bed of raw cabbage

I finished a hectic night shift at 2.20am and reached for a glass of white wine which I probably shouldn't have, I had three sips then tipped the rest down the sink.  It did help me instantly de-stress but I realised I didn't need the whole glass and shouldn't be having it right before bed.  A bit naughty of me :(

March 8

11.40am Meal 1

- Two baked eggs with half an avocado, spinach leaves, smoked salmon with some homemade mayo

- Black coffee

3.30pm Meal 2

- half a can of salmon with a handful of baby spinach with olive oil and one carrot

7.00pm Meal 3

- two prawn rice paper rolls

- thai red duck curry with 1/2 cup white rice

- one glass of port (~200ml)

Notes:

This was the first time i've had rice in well over a month and I felt fine during and after eating it, I will see how I feel in the morning.  I would usually prefer brown rice but the restaurant didnt do brown rice.

Also I hadn't mentioned port in the 'allow' section of my 'rules' but I had it tonight with my meal. (It's a big favorite of mine but I hadnt had a glass of port in about a year!)  

I didnt have any fruit servings today when I would usually have two pieces of fruit on normal days so I justified the sugar in the port as I didnt have sugar in fruit.  I also felt fine after it and will see how I feel tomorrow.  

I have no stomach pains and no bloating or gas today so I'm feeling quite good.  Im going to have an early night tonight since I finished work at 6pm! 

Nice big morning gym session when I wake up tomorrow!   :)

I finished a hectic night shift at 2.20am and reached for a glass of white wine which I probably shouldn't have, I had three sips then tipped the rest down the sink.  It did help me instantly de-stress but I realised I didn't need the whole glass and shouldn't be having it right before bed.  A bit naughty of me :(

Not naughty...just a choice you made. Separating our food choices from our self worth is really important. We are not good when we choose to eat vegetables and bad when we choose to drink wine. Our choices may be more or less healthy but they don't define our morality. For me making this distinction has helped me to make more healthy choices more often especially coming from a past where my only real rebellion was food. Now that choosing to eat something doesn't make me "bad" the stigma is gone and I can think about it more with a clear head.

White rice is actually a much safer choice than brown rice because all the potential gut irritants have been removed. Yes there are nutrients in brown rice but they are not easily available to us because of the natural defenses of rice. You can get those nutrients from vegetables so now I just have white rice when I want rice.

Oh Hell

Today was a bit of a food disaster but I'm going to list it all out so its out in the open and I can improve!  So weird that now that I'm not officialy on the whole30 I slip up, but I guess I'm trying to be realistic.

Have had to process some bad news today and also have a bit of PMS so all that = wanting sugar

Here is my day

9.30am -  Fasted gym session - cardio and abs (sipped on BCAA during my workout)

11.20 am - Grandparents came over for morning tea and lunch and my mum had cooked date cake with caramel topping and walnuts. So I had one small slice of this with a black coffee ( I hadn't had mums home cooked cakes in aaages)  It was delish!

12.30pm - Grilled snapper, mixed salad, 7 chips,  two sips of white wine, black grapes

2.30pm - Met up with a friend at the shops for coffee - had a black coffee and two mouthfuls of the gluten free almond cake she ordered.

6.30pm - Cooked a 3 egg omelete with some short cut rindless bacon

- had some more black grapes and half a banana

- caved and had TWO pieces of the cake my mum baked today.  IT WAS SO GOOD but I do feel some food guilt right now.  

I hope the week ahead I am stronger when it comes to sweet things.  Today I was hopeless but I did have a lovely day!

ok, so a much much better food day for me today!  Was very tired and busy at work, back on day shifts and only had 4 hours sleep, so a lot of me wants to have more sweets but I'm not :)

I have again today had one glass of wine but I'm finding that I've created a healthy relationship with drinks too, I can stop at one glass or even stop at a few sips.  I also am not drinking alone of course,  My parents popped the bottle so I sat with them and enjoyed one glass :)

6.30am - Meal 1 

- 3 egg omelete with sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, goji berries and sultanas

- one orange

- black coffee with cinnamon

11am - Meal 2

- garden salad with chicken

2pm - Snack

- 4 sardines (plain)

- mixed nuts

- 5 kalamata olives

7pm - Meal 3

- stewed chops with broccoli and sweet potato

- one glass of sparkling wine

Havent been to the gym today as I woke up after 4 hours sleep this morning and just had no energy so I decided to sleep the extra hour.  Im hoping tonight I fall asleep a lot faster and have a solid sleep!

Good call on skipping the gym. I read in an article on the blog that Melissa doesn't allow herself going to the gym unless she gets at least 6 hours of sleep. I think that is smart and try to adhere to that myself. 

Yes I have decided that its best to listen to how your body feels and if you feel very tired and lethargic then take a day or two off.  

I took today off it too and am excited for a big gym workout tomorrow :)

Todays food

5am - Meal 1

- 3 egg omelete with 'the usual' (see earlier posts)

- one grapefruit

9.45am - Meal 2

- kale and spinach salad with strawberries, nuts, cherry tomatoes, carrot and kangaroo with olive oil and apple cider vinegar as dressing.

12.45pm 

- mixed nuts and black coffee

5.15pm - visited a friend and had one vodka with iced water

7pm - Meal 3

- homemade green thai chicken curry with rice noodles

8.pm - glass of port with my parents

9.30pm Time for bed!

Going to make a conscious effort to drink more water tomorrow,  I only had one of my 1L water bottles full today.  I want that to be at least 2 from tomorrow onward.  Im also not allowing myself any alcohol for wednesday, thursday and friday.

woo smashed a leg session at the gym this morning.  Felt great to be back hard at it!  Great day!

6.30am - black coffee with cinnamon

7am - fasted gym (sipped BCAAs during workout) - Did a great leg session

8.30am - Meal 1

- two egg omelette with bok choi and 3 kalamata olives

- one ruby red grapefruit

- one pear

2pm - Meal 2

- left over thai green curry chicken with rice noodles

5pm - snack

- mixed nuts and black coffee

7.50pm - Meal 3

- raw spaghetti (made from zucchini, fresh veggies and nuts and olive oil)

- 1.5 steamed rice dumplings with nut sauce filling

- vegetable korma with a very small amount of brown rice

(This dinner was eaten at a DELISH vegan restaurant.  My first time there, I will definitely be back!)

Drank 2.5L water today (not including coffees) :)

Another great day today :)  No gym though

7am - drank some BCAAs as I was meeting a friend for breakfast at 9am so wouldn't be eating for a while.

9.20am - Meal 1 (ate out at a cafe)

- sweet potato and smoked salmon omelette with goats cheese and herb salad

- black coffee

- orange and almond cake (gluten free)

2pm - Meal 2

- baby spinach salad with pork, nuts, strawberries and feta

4.45pm - snack

- some mixed nuts and a black coffee

8pm - Meal 3

- T bone steak 

- roasted veggies

- green salad with pear + walnuts + blue cheese

- one tim tam

Drank 2L water today

:(  Well I feel absolutely awful :(

This post 30 blog was supposed to keep me accountable....but it hasn't.  Because I stopped posting.

This past week has been the biggest healthy eating fail.  I've drank too much alcohol on the weekend and binge ate all week.  I feel rotten, I'm so bloated and All i can think now is how happy I was last month and how down in the dumps Im feeling this month.

I think I'm no good unless I give it an all or nothing approach.

So tomorrow I go back to posting.  I also go back to strict whole 30 foods.  Ive been eating way too many fruits lately, not to mention sweet things in general and its just no good!

I have less than a month to go overseas and I wanted to have my best body for that trip!!  So I need to get back to 100% focus and motivation.  I need to stop feeling so depressed and start lookin at the positives in my life.

I CAN AND WILL DO THIS!!

Monday!!

8am- Meal 1

- piece of grill mullet

- two eggs

12.15pm Meal 2

- tuna with salad

3.15pm snack

- boiled egg

- mixed nuts

- celery and olives