Candida Overgrowth

So since the beginning of last year I had numerous yeast infections, pretty much every month and then around October time I started having stomach/digestive issues too, bloating, problems with digestion, stomach cramps, constipation etc.

I saw my regular doctor who wasn't much help. Basically put my sluggish digestive system down to the fact I was a). getting older, so hormones were a factor and b. had two c sections. 

Sent me away telling me to take gas tablets and a probiotic.

Of course I was still suffering.

I went on a clean eating diet and def saw some small imrovements, but not enough and then in December heard about the whole 30 from a friend and at the beginning of January decided to give it a go.

In the mean time I also went to see a naturopath for food allergy testing and added to that a candida test.

I have since completed my whole30, lost 11lbs and definitely see an improvement. Firstly I haven't had any yeast infections since and although my stomach is still having issues it is nowhere near as bad.

I got my candida result back to today however and it is extremely high. I need to get back on a whole30 for a lot longer I think.

I was and still am eating paleo apart from the occasional natural sugars, but of course now know I need to keep off them for a lot longer.

But my question is are there any other things that are whole 30 okay, that I should also avoid? I see mention of sweet potatoes and arrowroot should be excluded, but there is so much mixed info out there, as I also see somewhere else that fruit, mushrooms and vinegars should also be excluded.

My Naturopath has recommended continuing on another whole 30 and then told me some supplements to get on, but I want to make sure I am not eating anything I should be avoiding too.

Also the test for candida was through a blood skin prick test. Is this accurate enough or should I be going back to my normal doctor for more thorough testing?

If your Naturopath is well versed in what is and is not allowed on the Whole30 than I would follow her recommendations to do another Whole30 with the supplements and see how it goes. You could also bring her the list of things that are questionable based on your research and see what she says.

She isn't well versed on the whole 30 unfortunately, only what I have told her. I did my whole 30 before going to see her, but afterwards coming away from the appointment I started wondering if there are certain things I should avoid on my next whole 30.

She isn't well versed on the whole 30 unfortunately, only what I have told her. I did my whole 30 before going to see her, but afterwards coming away from the appointment I started wondering if there are certain things I should avoid on my next whole 30.

Perhaps you could send her the links to the rules and shopping list and ask her if there is anything on the approved lists that you should be avoiding as you deal with candida and your next round?

• 1 year later...

Archived