Pregnant with High Vitamin D Level

Hi! I'm about 23 weeks pregnant and have been eating Paleo for about 4 years now.  During this timeframe, my vitamin D levels have consistently been between 60-80.  Last week, I had my blood drawn and my level was 174!  My diet is very clean and I'm not supplementing vitamin D (even though it's winter) as I know I get good amounts (lard, FCLO, pastured meats, eggs, fish, etc.) through my diet.  I did get some sunlight (I live in the Atlanta area) in the days leading up to the blood draw - probaby 20-30 minutes a day on face/arms/legs.  The only supplements I take are Emerald's whole food prenatal which has 1500 IUs of D and K2 MK7 (100 mg).  I do include some dairy (mostly raw cheese or grass-fed butter; sometimes raw milk) and eat lots of fermented veges (which I understand are a good source of K2 and should help with D).  The only change I made in my diet recently was adding in Calm Magnesium (300-500 mg) a day to help with sleep and constipation issues I had earlier in pregnancy.  I do eat alot of fat (about 50% of diet) and moderate carb (no more than 100 grams on any given day). 

Should I be concerned about this high blood level of vitamin D?  The doctor I spoke to today is not concerned but did not seem that well versed on this.  Should I retest in a few weeks or test any other levels?  I've had a good pregnancy (I'm 42, but have no known health issues - normal weight, very active, etc).  I do have a history of PCOS & infertility (this pregnancy was a great surprise - periods became more regular after changing diet and doing supplements for liver detox). Any insight is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,
Maija

I don't know about risks of high vitamin d and pregnancy, but if I were you I would stop supplementing with vitamin d at this point. 1500 IUs is actually pretty high for a pre-natal. Most have around 400 IU but I expect you could find one without any D.

I've searched for prenatals with low or no vitamin D with folate (rather than folic acid) and can't seem to find any.  I'm going to cut out prenatals for right now.  If anyone has suggestions about brands, please let me know!

@ runninglawyer 88 - I was unable to click on the link - can you resend the source or article you were referencing? 

Thanks - from what I'm reading as well there are 2 different vitamin D tests - I need to confirm exactly what my OB office ran.  The MD was adament that I was within normal ranges (said over 200 was toxic) which seemed very odd.  They probably don't run vitamin D tests that often.  I'm going to have them retest the D along with my calcium levels. 

Archived