Anyone Hashimoto and NOT following Paleo AIP?

I was dx Hashimoto's over the summer and also discovered a strong family history of either Graves or Hashi's (both of which are autoimmune).  I was not symptomatic at all.  In fact, I was at a routine well visit where my PCP noticed my thyroid felt enlarged and sent me for testing, which ended up having me biopsied for a nodule bigger than 1cm and tested and finally dx Hashi's by an endo.  I was subclinical hypo in my bloodwork and after taking 88mcg of levoxythrine (sp?), my numbers were in normal range at my last visit.

I've read so much conflicting info on certain goitocentric foods and whether or not i should avoid them.  My endo never stated one way or the other, and since I don't feel symptomatic, I am following normal paleo.

Anyone else not eat the AIP protocol with Hashi's?  What has been your experience with it?

I don't have hashi's and I don't follow the AIP, but I do have an opinion on goitrogens and some thoughts on AIP.

First, AIP doesn't eliminate or restrict goitrogens. AIP is good for autoimmune conditions, so it is likely to be a good protocol for people with Hashi's but goitrogens are not involved in that. Here is the AIP shopping list: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Shopping-List-Autoimmune.pdf You will see that nuts, seeds and eggs are eliminated, as well as nightshade vegetables (eggplant, bell pepper, tomatoes) while goitrogenic vegetables (cauliflower, cabbage, kale, bok choi, etc.) remain.

From what I understand Goitrogens are more of a concern for people with non-autoimmune thyroid conditions. Goitrogens are said to  block iodine uptake by the thyroid, imparing thyroid function. Cooking these foods reduces goitrogens substantially, and as someone with non-autoimmune thyroid issues I personally am satisfied to include those vegetables, mostly cooked, in my diet for nutrition and variety's sake. I do keep tabs on my iodine levels and supplement iodine because I know I am low, but I doubt the goitrogens have much to do with that.

In your case, since you know your condition is auto-immune in nature, I would go for the AIP instead and see if that has an impact, elminating raw (and fermented) goitrogens if you are worried, but not shunning them altogether.

I thought I'd share some links to similar questions.  You will find people who have come here before you.  Click around and you may find that some are still active or, in the least, learn from their experiences.  If you go AIP, comment here and I can help you find some food logs that may give you some ideas.

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/11623-hashimotos-and-autoimmune-protocol/

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/12160-hashimotos-vs-hypothyroidism/

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/7965-can-people-with-hashimotos-have-sweet-potatoes/

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/3871-autoimmune-success/

My doc and I suspect I may have Hashimoto's but we haven't done the tests yet. No goiter but I fit a lot of the other symptoms and have a family history of thyroid disorders. But I also have another autoimmune issue, so...y'know. Hard to know what's what.

This is Round 2 for me and I've not done AIP for either. Aside from slaying the sugar dragon, dropping 6 lbs and gaining a slightly better sense of smell, I didn't see any benefits to my particular issues in Round 1. I'm a week into Round 2 which will be 45 days and excludes nuts. So far, it's going somewhat better than last time. But "last time" ended only 2 weeks before Round 2 so it could be that too...

Funny enough, I'd never heard the word goitrogen but it seems like I generally follow that avoidance diet, particularly on Whole30. Soy and gluten are obviously out, plus I cook or steam all of the cruciferous vegetables listed, which seems to make them okay. Learn something new every day.

I have hashi's and I do AIP. I was eating clean for the most part, so when I did my first W30, I did the AIP. I found eggs were a trigger. I have for a long time had issues with nightshades, so I don't eat those any longer as well.

Hashi's is an AI disease, so doing AIP would be good for you. The reason is that once you have one AI. you are susceptible to thers. I also have Chrohn's/IBS and Sjögren's syndrome. And some of the other things that are AI are Rhumatoid Arthritis and Multiple Sclerosis. So if you are one of those people who has AI, it makes sense to keep your inflammation load low to prevent further damage.

I avoid iodine. I don't eat many goitocentric foods, since most of them are FODMAPS and because of my Chron's, I don't eat those. But from what I have read, it's really raw foods that can effect the thyroid, if the foods are cooked, there is less of an issue. And I think you'd have to eat a lot of raw stuff to make a difference.

Archived