Cauliflower rice skeptic...

amandajunefitz

Consider me converted! I hate cauliflower in most of its forms but took a chance on cauliflower rice last night. I was even more skeptical as I was preparing it because it reeked...but after adding a few spices, and under the great coconut red curry chicken I served it with, it was GREAT! So much like a grain -- I couldn't stop gushing to my husband about what a win it was. Especially since it was SO easy (I don't know how others do it -- I just did the first couple steps of making cauliflower 'tortillas' (which are also good but a hassle): pulse it in the food processor, microwave, squeeze out moisture with paper towels, microwave again and done!). 

Yeah, I'm a convert too.  I read the recipe and was like "Gross!"    But doing the whole30 forced me to expand my horizons which was awesome.  Now that I'm done with my whole30, I still eat the cauliflower rice instead of normal rice.  I love it with meat and a sauce over it.

I'm with you. I was skeptical because I've heard time and time again that cauliflower mashed is "just like mashed potatoes, you'd never know the difference".  Uh, no it is not and I did know the difference.  But I love the cauli-rice. 

Yes!

The whole 'mashed cauliflower is like potatoes' was such a tease.  But I agree, cauliflower totally works great as rice!

Its simple, just "rice" it in a food processor.  Just throw the florets and chop them up until they are the size of rice.  This freezes well.  I've made alot to freeze, just so I would have fast rice to cook.

I want that chinese food white rice taste to go with some of my dishes, and i toss a bit of vinegar in with the rice in the pan and lightly salt.  Its good. its so versatile.  The only downfall is that it doesn't "absorb" some juices the same way that a true starch would, so if there are dishes where the rice is required to absorb some of the moisture, it may not work as well.

As to cauli-mash, it took me a while to master a palatable mash.  The food processor was the biggest requirement.  I agree, cauliflower mash does taste different and not exact same texture. But I've loaded them up with so much ghee and seasonings that i traditionally put in regular potatoes, the taste is very close.  I remember how bad my first attempt was compared to now and its a world of difference.

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Dinner guests have enjoyed the following more than the real rice version...  Sorry I don't measure :)

Riced cauli (I have 2 methods - 1.  last minute - put bag frozen cauli florets in a glass bowl and microwave for 7-8 minutes on high so they dry out a little - let cool and then rice   2.  rice fresh cauli <-- tastes better, but time consuming and a bit messy - I don't cook it before ricing like some recipes - I just rice it raw then cook it when I'm ready to eat it.  

Put a little fat in a pan heated to medium and add some chopped onion until it softens and is fragrant.  Then turn up to med/high and add the rice - let it brown a bit by cooking for 2-3 minutes.  Turn down to low and add a big handful of chopped cilantro (I used the Dorot cubes before W30 - usually 3-4) and a 1-2 tsp of lime juice.  Salt and pepper to taste.  

Hmmm....  I cannot begin to describe how much I dislike cauliflower.  Just the thought of it!  However, if you are all caulirice converts, I will give it a go (and I will hold you all responsible if it's as awful as I'm expecting, but by the same token, I will sing your praises if it is not).

• 2 weeks later...

I love cauliflower but the cauli rice has left me unimpressed, and I've tried a few recipes.

That said, I'm the only one eating this way in my house, so no one else will eat cauli rice, and it's a lot of work for someone who's been perfectly happy without rice at all for several years.  Anyplace people would typically put rice I often use greens or other steamed veggies as a base, it's easier for me and I always have veg on hand..

Have you seen Melissa's new roasting method? Check it out on her blog theclothesmakethegirl.com. Brilliant!

I tried this yesterday and I burnt half of it :(  Some of it was spread a little thinner on the pan than the rest and it burnt.  The part that wasn't burnt was yummy.  Next time I will have to keep a closer eye on it.

Hi whole30! I'm on DAy 7 of my first whole 30. Trying the cauliflower rice tonight for dinner. My family is Caribbean and I grew up with rice at every meal. It sure would be nice to have a Sunday dinner that felt like home. Hopefully I can pull it off. I'm following Michelle Tam's nom nom Paleo recipe for fried rice. Highly recommend her app.

• Moderators

I love cauliflower but the cauli rice has left me unimpressed, and I've tried a few recipes.

That said, I'm the only one eating this way in my house, so no one else will eat cauli rice, and it's a lot of work for someone who's been perfectly happy without rice at all for several years.  Anyplace people would typically put rice I often use greens or other steamed veggies as a base, it's easier for me and I always have veg on hand..

Like you, I don't really need rice to go with anything. I'd get all down with my chopping and cooking, and forget to start the rice until too late. So I just adapted to eating my curries like a stew. 

That said, I really like the Well Fed rice pilaf with onion, garlic, lots of coconut oil, curry powder, diced pineapple (or raisins) and a little chopped nuts thrown in and sauteed. Hubz, who doesn't care for the basic cauliflower rice also thinks this version is tasty.

Have you seen Melissa's new roasting method? Check it out on her blog theclothesmakethegirl.com. Brilliant!

I've now done it this way twice and it completely ROCKS!  Serious improvement...both in 'rice' texture/water content/flavor and in clean-up.  I always hated that making cauliflower rice on the stove meant getting it everywhere.  With this method, you don't have to stir, so it stays in the pan!

I made the fried rice recipe from Food for Humans but I used this method for cooking the actual rice (I tossed it all together in a bowl at the end) and it was wonderful!  I even preferred it over the real fried rice my husband had ordered from a local place!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm....  I cannot begin to describe how much I dislike cauliflower.  Just the thought of it!  However, if you are all caulirice converts, I will give it a go (and I will hold you all responsible if it's as awful as I'm expecting, but by the same token, I will sing your praises if it is not).

I would agree with you until I tried it this way.  I really really really really hate cauliflower except as rice.  I either use it as a fried rice, or make it from Well Fed as a side dish.  I would gripe and moan about it raw if the family would put it in stuff.  I thought it was the devil! (Insert Momma from Waterboy here)

Give it a try and see what you think!

I've used the grater attachment on my food processor rather than pulsing it with the regular blade and I like the texture better.

I make it almost weekly! I love it for meal one with eggs and under Moroccan meatballs.

but I definitely need to try the oven roasted method bc it always makes a huge mess on my stove.

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone,

So....I know the program rules say we are not supposed to re-create baked goods, junk food or treats with approved ingredients. I totally get it when we are talking about muffins and pancakes and such. My two-part question is......if cauliflower rice is ok, IS cauliflower tortillas ok? Tortillas are listed in the program rules as a no-no so I would suppose it would not be ok but, why not? And are we really not supposed to be baking sweet potatoes as french fries? HELP?!? 

Thank you!!

Lori

Archived