Cauliflower rice skeptic...

amandajunefitz

kirkor,

Thank you for your reply to my question. Why then would french fries be listed on the program rules as a no-no? I am not arguing it, I really just want to understand. And....why then is cauliflower rice and mashed potatoes ok but not tortillas? Inquiring minds want to know!!!! 

Thanks again!

• Moderators

kirkor,

Thank you for your reply to my question. Why then would french fries be listed on the program rules as a no-no? I am not arguing it, I really just want to understand. And....why then is cauliflower rice and mashed potatoes ok but not tortillas? Inquiring minds want to know!!!! 

Thanks again!

I think the best explanation is probably in this article, from back when they changed the rules and started allowing white potatoes on Whole30 -- here's what it says for people who don't want to click over:

Chips or Fries: Not if they’re commercially prepared or deep-fried

While we recognize that potatoes are a real food, we also know that eating them in the form of fries and chips has turned them from “produce” into an adulterated commercial “product.” It’s easy to find sweet potato, beet, or vegetable chips or restaurant fries that meet the Whole30 ingredient standards. It is not easy, however, to consume those fries or chips in a way that’s true to the spirit of the Whole30. It’s hard to find a suitable place for them in our meal planning template (no, half a bag of “Sweets and Beets” is not an appropriate way to fill your plate with vegetables), and even harder to stop yourself from eating them when the designated serving comes to an end. For most of us, chips and fries are a bonafide food-with-no-brakes, and fall into that deep, dark area of less-healthy foods with technically compliant ingredients. For that reason we do not allow commercially-prepared fries or chips, or deep-frying starchy veggies and turning them into fries or chips during your Whole30. (However, if you want to roast some kale until it’s crispy, or thinly slice jicama into a scoop for your guacamole, be our guest.)

For the tortillas, probably the best explanation comes from this article, which is really about some other wraps/tortilla like things. You might also find this article about SWYPO helpful.

• 2 years later...

here is how I made it and it was delicious

1. small head of cauliflower

2. Take off the leaves and the tough stems

3. Chop into bite size chunks

4. Throw in to food processor until they are smallish bits

5 Chop up some shallots, small. 

6. Heat some compliant oil or ghee in a sautee pan until hot but not smoking

7. Throw in shallots and saute until soft but not brown (you can also add some garlic if you'd like

8. Throw in the riced cauliflower and saute until soft don't cover they get too mushy for me that way

9. Serve with some compliant tomato sauce add some salt and pepper or any spices you'd like

And it reheats well. I found the fresh whole cauliflower tasted more mild and had much less a smell than the bagged stuff. It does freeze great and sort of takes on the flavor of whatever you add to it much like rice. 

• 2 months later...

The only way we like cauliflower rice is when it is sauteed in a skillet to give it a sort of crust. I basically treat it as if I were making hashbrowns, add some oil, press it down in the skillet, let it cook until it starts to brown slightly, then stir it around and repeat. 

• 3 weeks later...

I like cauliflower but the rice I havent tried cuz I didnt think it would work. I guess I need to try. No one but me will eat it either. I found a recipe, might of been here, to roast the cauliflower whole, after rubbing it with olive oil and putting fave spices on. I use garlic powder and sea salt. Make sure it is tender all the way thru and golden brown on top. So good

• Moderators
9 hours ago, nanners said:

I like cauliflower but the rice I havent tried cuz I didnt think it would work. I guess I need to try. No one but me will eat it either. I found a recipe, might of been here, to roast the cauliflower whole, after rubbing it with olive oil and putting fave spices on. I use garlic powder and sea salt. Make sure it is tender all the way thru and golden brown on top. So good

Cauliflower rice isn't exactly like rice, obviously, but it is good, and if you don't want to mess with grating the cauliflower or running it through the food processor, you may be able to find some already "riced" cauliflower either fresh or frozen. 

If you want to try to get your picky eaters to try it, try this recipe:  https://meljoulwan.com/2009/09/03/eat-your-vegetables-cauliflower-fouscous-pilaf/. If you can't find dried apricots that don't have sugar or sulfites, you can sub some other dried fruit -- maybe a mix of golden raisins and regular, or really any dried fruit that sounds good to you. And if you don't like pine nuts or can't find them, sub in slivered almonds or pecans. I think the sweet/savory mix with this would appeal even to people who think they don't like cauliflower. 

Archived