How many iu of vitamin d?

sweetrunning

Hi I live in minnesota. I was taking 2,000 iu of vitamin d but stopped when starting whole 30 due to soy in the brand. How much iu would you recommend? I think this is the only supplement I need? Also if I want to test my vitamin levels is this a regular medical doctor or a naturopath I would go to?

Thanks!

Laura

My naturopath recommends 3-5,000 IU Vit. D3 per day in the winter, and 1-2k in the summer unless you're someone who spends a lot of time outside. Your regular doctor or your naturopath both should be able to test your vitamin D levels. Vitamin D helps your bones calcify, which is great if you want your bones to be strong, but too much of it can cause excess calcification of things you don't want calcified, like arteries. I would discuss it with your doctor and/or naturopath and make sure you are getting periodic blood tests. Some people naturally produce way more vitamin D than others, so if you happen to be one of those people you probably don't want to supplement, but only a blood test will really show that.

If you are severely low in vit. D3 however, your doctor or naturopath might put you on a higher dose for a while to get your levels up, then back off a bit to a maintenance dose.

I live in Seattle and my Naturopath has me take 5,000IU year round. We have talked about upping in the winter, since I go to work when it is dark, come home when it is dark (parts of winter we have sun for about 7 hours) and I work inside. Too much Vitamin D *can* cause a toxic condition in your body, but it takes 50,000IU/day for several months.

Source: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/vitamin-d-toxicity/faq-20058108

Archived