is the whole 30 possible as a student?

Apologies - wasn't quite sure where to put this.

I am going back to university in September, and I am starting to notice some benefits about how whole 30 is making me feel - mainly mental clarity at the moment. I would like to maintain this style of living longer-term  whilst at university to help keep myself well physically and mentally. The main thing I am concerned about is the cost. Is a whole-30 like lifestyle possible on a tight student budget?

Thanks!

I am also a student, and I just finished my Whole30 (though currently still compliant day 32!). I was SO worried about how much it would cost, thinking there was NO way I could get good food on the budget constraints of my stipend...but I did, and I actually SAVED money over the last 30 days! I only dined out 3 times on the Whole30, whereas before the Whole30, I would usually dine out maybe 2 or 3 times a week (and usually at least one of these times included happy hour drinks before or evening drinks after...a huge money pit!). It's amazing how much cheaper it is to make your own food, even grass fed and organic, than it is to eat restaurant food! So I think if you are cutting down on the amount you're dining out and if you're not buying drinks, you'll be fine.

I have found I now even prefer my own cooking to eating out. Yesterday, to celebrate being done, I was going to treat myself to a compliant lunch out...but I made a really delicious egg casserole for breakfast (eggs, ground turkey, caramelized onions, spinach, red pepper) that I decided I'd just rather have more of that for lunch! Of course, I will want to go out for special occasions or to socialize with friends, but I'd much rather pack my own lunch and eat dinner at home on most week nights.

I will say, I did not eat only grass fed/free range/organic everything while on the Whole30. I took to heart the advice to do my best, prioritizing high quality meats over organic veggies but remembering that at the end of the day, eating meats and veggies that aren't the absolute highest quality is still better than what I was doing before. I do try to buy veggies organic if they are on the "Dirty Dozen" (http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/summary.php) and not worry about buying other veggies organic (though the organic selection at my grocery store is limited, so even that doesn't work sometimes). I would also stock up on meats when they were on sale and put them in the freezer.

The other thing I find is that as a student, I have a MUCH more flexible schedule, which gives me a lot more time to cook/prep on a daily basis. That's definitely an added bonus!

Good luck!

Archived