getting lean and overeating

Hi everyone, I hope you can help. I have been pretty much clean for about a year, and the plusses are I don't have much cellulite anymore! Plus I feel great. However, I seem to be one of those people that does better on an IF type basis - I always ate erratically when I was younger and now having three meals a day seems to encourage me to overeat.

I think I am one of those people, because I have a farily sedentary job, that needs to be on the lower end of the carb scale but I am getting married in November and I am determined to drop the last 10 - 15 lbs! I seem to drop 5, then make it back, and so on. When I was younger I was about 115lbs, and had a much more active job, and now am about 135lbs ( but I'm 5' 8 so I'd like to be around 125 lbs as I have a pretty small frame). I work out doing HIIT, and some pilates and rowing too.

Please can anyone help with how to rid myself of the overeating thing? I either under or overeat, and never seem to find the right balance to just shift that weight for good.

Any advice gratefully received!

Best wishes, Janey

Just to add too, in reading the forums here I discovered the book Brain over Binge: which made me realise following a spell of anorexia followed by bulemia in my teens (I'm now 35), I was still unwittingly doing the binge/purge thing by eating lots at the weekends and then eating virtually nothing during the week. I seem to have the binge demons under control now, but need to get to the issue of overating generally at meals. I must be, beacuse my body composition isn't changing and I seem to actually be putting on weight! Help!

• Moderators

You should seriously commit to doing a Whole30 and following the meal template perfectly for 30 days: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

Importantly for you, eat 3 meals per the meal template every day with no intermittent fasting. In your case, I am afraid that IF is purging whether you recognize you have been on a binge earlier or not. 

You see, I went back and read your participation on the forum to date and I can't see evidence that you are doing a Whole30. It seems that you are just on the edges. Commit!

Hi there, thanks for your responses.

I did a whole 30 last May, and yes am thinking of getting cracking with one again. After my last one I went straight back to my old habits. I find things like nut butters and fruit are pretty big triggers for me when doing the whole 30.

Also, how much protein is too much? I find if I fill up on vegetables and sald, I am left feeling unsatisfied and usually it is the fats and the protein that I end up overdoing. Also is ghee ok on whole 30?

Thanks again,

Janey

How tall are you Janey? Consider the possibility that 135 is a healthy weight for you (what felt good or healthy when you were much younger is not relevant). If you are at a healthy weight already, but try to "diet" it is natural for the body to respond with binge behavior. Follow Tom's advice and do a whole30, committing to meeting the template, at a minimum, three times per day. I suspect when you are really nourishing yourself it will be easier to control your response to "problem" foods.

EDIT: I see you are 5'-8." YOU ARE NOT OVERWEIGHT. If you want to change your body, gain some muscle mass but please do not restrict your nutrition further.

Hello

I'm 5'8 - however I am certain that this is not my healthy weight - I have love handles and saddlebags which are not natural for me to have! My body responds quickly to getting leaner when I am doing the right things, it's the saboutage that's the problem!

You are quite right however, and I actually do not weigh myself generally because it promotes an unhealthy response in me, but I know my clothes are tighter than they were. The 10lbs thing is a guide so you could see I haven't a lot to lose, but in reality I don't care how much I weigh so long as I look and feel good.

I will start another whole 30 tomorrow morning, you have encouraged me to take that step again as I was starting to think about bulletproof coffee again and the madness that lies down that avenue! I have the book and all the emails I kept from the last whole 30 I did.

Just of my idle curiosity, I thought Mark Sisson said that IF/erratic eating patterns are good for the body? Or is the issue that I can't handle the psycholigical madness that ensues so best for me to stay away from that path?

Thanks again, so glad I put this post up!

Hello

I'm 5'8 - however I am certain that this is not my healthy weight - I have love handles and saddlebags which are not natural for me to have! My body responds quickly to getting leaner when I am doing the right things, it's the saboutage that's the problem!

You are quite right however, and I actually do not weigh myself generally because it promotes an unhealthy response in me, but I know my clothes are tighter than they were. The 10lbs thing is a guide so you could see I haven't a lot to lose, but in reality I don't care how much I weigh so long as I look and feel good.

I will start another whole 30 tomorrow morning, you have encouraged me to take that step again as I was starting to think about bulletproof coffee again and the madness that lies down that avenue! I have the book and all the emails I kept from the last whole 30 I did.

Just of my idle curiosity, I thought Mark Sisson said that IF/erratic eating patterns are good for the body? Or is the issue that I can't handle the psycholigical madness that ensues so best for me to stay away from that path?

Thanks again, so glad I put this post up!

Janey - it is really hard to lose the connection a lot of us have with the scale and the number it says on it. However, you could stay the exact same weight and lose inches, by working out and building muscle/losing fat. Do not stay fixed on the scale number! Focus on how your clothes are fitting and more importantly, how you feel. Muscle takes up less space in our body than fat, so if you look at 1 lb of fat vs. 1 lb of muscle (Google this to see for yourself), the muscle is half the size.... therefore, it is very important to build muscle and that is what makes your body look smaller and have a more toned/tight look.

Hello, I know...I genuinely don't care about the weight I am, it's the leanness I am after. I mentioned the weight only to give you guys an idea of where I am with it. It's fat I want to lose, rather than weight per se.

Anyway, I actually think the key issue is moving more, and that's what I need to work on.

Feeling very excited about starting my next whole 30. Any tips for not overdoing the good fats?

I don't know that there is an upper limit on protein.  Satiety is really the best guide on that.  As for not overdoing the good fats, you may want to leave nut butters out of this Whole30 entirely since you've identified it as a trigger.  Try replacing nut butters with fats that are not triggers for you like avocado or oil based dressings.

5'8" and 135 pounds puts you right in the low/medium range of the healthy spectrum according to BMI. If all you are wanting is to get rid of love handles and saddle bags, I think the key is to build muscle. I don't know what kind of exercise you are doing, but try focusing on strength training. Get strong. Women don't have the testosterone or the frame to build bulky muscle, so there's no need to worry about getting too "big". If you build muscle, you might stay the same weight, but you'll get that lean, toned look.

Morning everyone! I started my whole 30 on Friday morning, and despite discovering that my nitrate free bacon has a trace of sugar (why damn you, why??) I'm not letting that put me off. I only had one rasher on Friday before I noticed. My fiancé can have the rest!

I have really thought hard about the binge/purge thing, and concluded that it is so psychological, it's mad. So, I find that once I have in my mind I am restricting something, I want it like mad, then the trick is to convince myself that nothing is restricted, it's an active choice that I am making, of an end goal, and then the cravings subside somewhat. Interestingly, I read another thread about wine drinking and how many people have decided to take it out of the equation altogether. I know from my own experience that once I do that, something eventually snaps and I have a mad binge (on whatever it may be). One chap said that he had a rule that he could have three drinks a week, so he can have on e a night for three nights, or three in a row on one night and it made me think even more about the psychology of it all. I'd love to be one of those grown up people who can  have one small square of chocolate or one glass of wine but alas I have irish heritage (!). In fact, I now realise it's about being "present" (sorry to sound naff) while you make those choices. I'm hoping this all stands me in good stead to weather the cravings!

So, I am making a conscious concerted effort that this is lifestyle, not restriction, so that eat choice I make is on a meal by meal basis, rather than thinking of it as a period of restriction. Same goes for working out, so with that in mind I am putting my laptop down and going to the gym. Have a good day all! :)

Archived