Severe Bloat When Hungry

Hi there!

I am on day 11 -- I have been eating clean for about 2 years now, so the Whole 30 isn't wildly different from me, aside from no cheat meals every once in a while. I have a question about something I've been struggling with for a while now. I get incredibly bloated, almost to the point of pain, when I am hungry. I am 5'4" and about 108lbs. I eat a fair amount and I usually eat at 7:15 AM, 11:45AM-12PM, then I go to the gym at 5:30 and eat dinner at 7. I get the bloating around 4 PM (almost) every day and am usually so bloated when I get to the gym that it's really uncomfortable. Usually by the time I am done with my workout I feel fine and then go home and eat dinner normally but am usually quite filled with gas after I eat. What I am wondering is if I need to do more snacking in between meals or how I should try to combat this issue. I tried to cut snacking out because usually I would snack on fruit, which is something I am trying to avoid. I also like hardboiled eggs as a snack but don't really want to eat more than 3 total eggs per day (I already eat 2 in the morning).... so I just feel a little discouraged/unsure/etc.

Thanks in advance!

Lauren

• Moderators

Your experience is mysterious to me. I understand bloating (filling with gas) when there is food in your stomach, but not when it is empty. Maybe someone else will have some ideas.

About your egg limit. You know that your blood cholesterol levels have little to do with how much cholesterol you eat. You could eat more than 3 eggs per day and be perfectly healthy. I too like boiled eggs and keep them in my refrigerator. The other snack I keep in the pantry - sardines. I only discovered sardines a few years ago and they were much better than I imagined they would be when I was young.

Thanks Tom, yes, I am aware that dietary cholesterol is not really related to my blood cholesterol... I just try to maintain balance within my proteins and don't want to overdo it on any one kind. Although maybe I will rethink this as HB eggs are a very easy take-to-work snack.

Thanks for the response!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Lauren!

Strangely enough, this happens to me, too! I thought I was a unique snowflake ;0)

It helps me to make sure there is enough fat (maybe even a little extra) in all my meals and snacks. In fact, when I'm NOT Whole30ing, I've been known to take a hit of heavy cream to take the edge off - coconut milk would work nicely during if you like the taste. Maybe throw in an extra half an avocado here and there.

Not sure why it happens, but oh boy - it happens. It gets better the longer you maintain these eating habits, I promise.

Archived