homemade balsamic vinaigrette with dates in it?

BethannM

I know that dates are Whole30 approved, and I know that balsamic vinaigrette is approved.  But since we're not supposed to have almond flour pancakes (or banana pancakes, or sweet potato pancakes, or any kind of pancake!), etc., is it still in keeping with the spirit of the Whole30 to have a homemade balsamic vinaigrette that has dates in it?  I do. not. like. unsweet. salad. dressings. So does that mean that I have to not use this?  Cause here's the thing. I will end up not eating any salads for my Whole30. And salads are so great for me!  So....what do you think?  Yes?  Or no?  Here's my recipe (it's an Against All Grain makeover):

1/2 cup balsamic vinegar

5 dates

2 teaspoons Dijon mustard

4 teaspoons dried basil

1/4 teaspoon ground thyme

3 cloves garlic, peeled

2/3 cup light olive oil

Everything except the oil goes in the blender, Blend until smooth.  Drizzle olive oil slowly (like making mayonnaise) into running blender to incorporate and emulsify oil.  Makes a thick, creamy dressing. 

Thanks in advance!

JohannaE--it ends up pretty thick as is, really.  Not runny whatsoever. 

I will try it with regular mustard, as the dijon I have on hand does have white wine in it.  I read online that the alcohol is removed. Do you know anything about that?  Is it because of the alcohol in the white wine, or is there another reason why white wine as an ingredient would be a no-no?  (I realize all alcohol is off-limits--just wondering if the reasoning has to do with more than the alcohol/sugar-in-alcohol/alcohol-is-addictive reasons?)

Thanks for the input!  I was worried about the dates--totally missed the white wine! THANK YOU!

JohannaE--it ends up pretty thick as is, really.  Not runny whatsoever. 

I will try it with regular mustard, as the dijon I have on hand does have white wine in it.  I read online that the alcohol is removed. Do you know anything about that?  Is it because of the alcohol in the white wine, or is there another reason why white wine as an ingredient would be a no-no?  (I realize all alcohol is off-limits--just wondering if the reasoning has to do with more than the alcohol/sugar-in-alcohol/alcohol-is-addictive reasons?)

Thanks for the input!  I was worried about the dates--totally missed the white wine! THANK YOU!

It's because of the alcohol in the white wine.  If wine is in the ingredients list, the Whole30 considers it in the product and is therefore, off-limits for a Whole30.

FWIW, Whole Foods' 365 brand organic dijon does not contain wine.

5 dates has about 80 grams of sugar.  

Im a little baffled by concern over trace amounts of alcohol in mustard but no concern what so ever about a recipe that has EIGHTY grams of sugar. 

I understand 'rules are rules' but..... it sort of seems to be missing the forrest for the trees here. 

• Moderators

Im a little baffled by concern over trace amounts of alcohol in mustard but no concern what so ever about a recipe that has EIGHTY grams of sugar. 

I understand 'rules are rules' but..... it sort of seems to be missing the forrest for the trees here. 

Sugar content in dried or fresh fruit is something to watch, certainly, but it's not a W30 violation.

Besides, this recipe makes over a cup of dressing. I doubt she's going to down it all in one sitting.

I was initially concerned about the number of dates, but then saw the amount of vinegar and oil used, and from that, deduced that this is a recipe for multiple servings.

In the emulsification process, it "fluffs" up quite a bit, too.  This recipe makes almost 1 1/2 cups.  I use maybe an ounce on a salad.  That's closer to 6 or 7 grams per salad.  And the sugar is from fruit, which I'm not eating much of at all.  It's all good!

just made it this morning.  I love the flavor that it has.  I  put some on my wild boar patty; it would make a wonderful compliant steak sauce too!!

Thanks for sharing.  Always looking for different condiments.

Archived