Ending Badly

I'm 25 days into my first whole30. I was following along with the timeline fairly well and was seeing many of the benefits of the program (increased energy/alertness, etc.), but within the past week I am noticeably more irritable and quick to anger or be upset and am sometimes lethargic. My girlfriend is worried I'm not eating enough fats but most often I feel very full after I've had a meal and don't really feel hungry until it's time for my next meal.

I do have a lot of other stressors in my life such as trying to change my job, dealing with a very difficult ex-wife, and financial difficulties (see the ex-wife, lol) but those things were there before too. I'm also a fairly active person and recently added a crossfit class on top of my normal gym routine.

The only thought I have is that perhaps I've burned through most of my fat reserves and now my body is struggling when it needs to find more fuel and that's making me tired and irritable (?) Seems like I would be more hungry than I am but maybe my signals aren't all back to where they should be yet (?)

Any thoughts you might offer would be greatly appreciated and I was really enjoying the success of this program but now I'm not feeling so great about it.

• Moderators

Are you following the template with its prescribed amounts of fat, veggies and protein? Whenever something seems off, I make sure I am doing that first.

Of course stress will always be a factor -- you say you've added Crossfit on top of your regular gym routine and that may be too much. You'll definitely need to eat more starchy carbs to fuel that increased activity (sweet potatoes, winter squash, beets, parsnips).

And don't discount your need for enough/more sleep in light of this addition.

It may just be too much stress on top of your job, finances, stressful people in your life.

What ultrarunnergirl said.  :)

If you would like more specific feedback on possible tweaks, post 2-3 days worth of your food log, along with your exercise, and amount of water you're drinking daily, and number of hours of sleep you're getting nightly.

As I was reading, I thought of this blog post and the section about a nutrition solution to a lifestyle problem.  Keep up the good food.  Post a few days of meals for critiques and know that you are bound to be feeling better through it all because you are nourishing yourself.  Then, take a look at the Whole9 health equation linked in the post below and see if maybe you need to focus on some of your other stressors.

http://whole30.com/2012/10/six-reasons-why-the-whole30-didnt-work-for-you/

Thanks for your responses :-)

Looking back over the past few days I have seem to let the starches escape my diet a bit and so I re-upped with a very healthy portion of sweet potatoes last night, and this morning, and will throw in some beets to keep it fresh. Then I'll make sure I keep a steady intake of starches and see how that goes. 

I have been super stressed the past week as well - that's been messing with my sleep some - so that probably was playing a part too.

In any case, I already feel better this morning. I don't know if it's related to the sweet potatoes but sometimes just thinking something is working helps make it so.

Thanks again!

Archived