Chopt Help

mcjule

We have a work lunch that is supposed to be from Chop't tomorrow.  Their salads have plenty of compliant items, but I'm worried about the dressings.  They have a dressing allergen PDF so I can which ones to avoid for soy and dairy, but I can't really tell about sugar.  Should I just go for one that has 0 grams of sugar and no soy or dairy?  Or should I play it safe and just get olive oil and vinegar?

http://choptsalad.com/pdfdownloads/Chopt_Nutritionals.pdf

http://choptsalad.com/pdfdownloads/Allergies.pdf

• 3 years later...
  • 6 months later...

I wanted to respond to this thread even though it's old, because it's the first link that came up for me when I googled "Chopt dressings whole30 complaint" so perhaps the following info can help anyone who comes across this.

I wrote to Chopt today to ask for their dressing ingredient list. They promptly responded that their dressing recipes are proprietary, and therefore cannot be published, but I was welcome to let them know what I could NOT have in my diet, and they would respond with the dressings and proteins that I CAN have. I explained Whole30 principles and received a comprehensive list back, and it seems the person I corresponded with really took some time to look up the guidelines because she gives clauses for non-gmo canola, which some of these dressings do contain. (W30 doesn't love canola, but as far as I've read, in theory it is permissible). Posting the Chopt response below in case it helps out the W30 community. Obviously the vinegars, olive oil, and citrus we all know about already, but just including the entire response anyway.

Below are the dressings that should be compliant with a Whole 30 diet (they do not contain dairy, legumes, peanuts, soy, soybean oil, any real or artificial sugars, grains, carrageenan, msg, sulfites, and alcohol):
  • Lemon Tahini Dressing (contains Non-GMO canola)
  • Mexican Goddess Dressing (contains Non-GMO canola)
  • Spicy Tahini Goddess (contains Non-GMO canola)
  • Balsamic Vinegar
  • Red Wine Vinegar
  • Fresh Squeezed Lemon
  • Fresh Squeezed Lime
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
The proteins that should be compliant are as follows: 
  • Grilled FreeBird Chicken (cooked with Non-GMO canola)
  • Niman Ranch Bacon
  • BN Ranch Grass Fed Steak (cooked with Non-GMO canola)
  • Wild Shrimp

I hope that this information is helpful. Thank you again for your email, and I hope you have a wonderful rest of your day.

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, olyluv said:

I wanted to respond to this thread even though it's old, because it's the first link that came up for me when I googled "Chopt dressings whole30 complaint" so perhaps the following info can help anyone who comes across this.

I wrote to Chopt today to ask for their dressing ingredient list. They promptly responded that their dressing recipes are proprietary, and therefore cannot be published, but I was welcome to let them know what I could NOT have in my diet, and they would respond with the dressings and proteins that I CAN have. I explained Whole30 principles and received a comprehensive list back, and it seems the person I corresponded with really took some time to look up the guidelines because she gives clauses for non-gmo canola, which some of these dressings do contain. (W30 doesn't love canola, but as far as I've read, in theory it is permissible). Posting the Chopt response below in case it helps out the W30 community. Obviously the vinegars, olive oil, and citrus we all know about already, but just including the entire response anyway.

Below are the dressings that should be compliant with a Whole 30 diet (they do not contain dairy, legumes, peanuts, soy, soybean oil, any real or artificial sugars, grains, carrageenan, msg, sulfites, and alcohol):
  • Lemon Tahini Dressing (contains Non-GMO canola)
  • Mexican Goddess Dressing (contains Non-GMO canola)
  • Spicy Tahini Goddess (contains Non-GMO canola)
  • Balsamic Vinegar
  • Red Wine Vinegar
  • Fresh Squeezed Lemon
  • Fresh Squeezed Lime
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
The proteins that should be compliant are as follows: 
  • Grilled FreeBird Chicken (cooked with Non-GMO canola)
  • Niman Ranch Bacon
  • BN Ranch Grass Fed Steak (cooked with Non-GMO canola)
  • Wild Shrimp

I hope that this information is helpful. Thank you again for your email, and I hope you have a wonderful rest of your day.

I'd be a bit careful anyway because I just googled "Niman Ranch Bacon" and the third ingredient on their own website is sugar. 

Maybe the rules are different in the US but in Canada, by law they have to issue the ingredients upon request. Not the formulation but the actual ingredients used.

Chopt just responded with this: "The only ingredient I have listed for Niman Ranch Bacon is bacon."

This response along with the above link to Chopt nutritional info reflecting 0 for sugars, I am hoping, is legit!

Bacon, unfortunately, isn't an ingredient when it comes to bacon (if that makes any sense). It's not like when you buy no salt added canned tomatoes and the ingredient listed is "tomatoes". 

For example: The sugar free bacon from US Wellness Meats lists "pork, sea salt, natural flavoring (from hickory smoking)"

Without an explicit ingredients list, I would avoid the bacon. 

• 1 year later...
On 7/19/2018 at 2:47 PM, ladyshanny said:

I'd be a bit careful anyway because I just googled "Niman Ranch Bacon" and the third ingredient on their own website is sugar. 

Maybe the rules are different in the US but in Canada, by law they have to issue the ingredients upon request. Not the formulation but the actual ingredients used.

I think the lemon tahini contains hummus -- which is not whole30 per their twitter post:

'That's the only one I could find anything on. 

Archived